lost product key

I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
--
thanks
3 answers Last reply

    dave wrote:
    > I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
    > key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine

    You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
    which you install it.

    Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
    copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
    technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
    is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
    final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
    licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
    Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
    Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
    multiple installations using a single license.

    You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
    license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
    aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
    you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
    Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the
    >product
    > key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
    > --
    > thanks

    Dave,

    Even if you had the product key, installing Windows XP on a second machine
    under the one license you have is piracy (unless you remove it from the
    current installed machine).
    You are licensed to install Windows XP on one machine per license you
    purchase. (see the file EULA.txt on your machine)
    So no point in looking for that product key - you need to buy another
    copy/license for Windows XP to install on another machine.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the
    >product
    > key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
    > --
    > thanks

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:33:01 -0800, "dave"
    <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
    >key. Is there a way to get it from my current machin

    Look for "magical jellybean" weird name but it is a simple little
    program that will extract your license number for you.

    Steve B.

Support Microsoft Windows XP