Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
--
thanks

dave wrote:
> I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
> key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the
>product
> key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
> --
> thanks

Dave,

Even if you had the product key, installing Windows XP on a second machine
under the one license you have is piracy (unless you remove it from the
current installed machine).
You are licensed to install Windows XP on one machine per license you
purchase. (see the file EULA.txt on your machine)
So no point in looking for that product key - you need to buy another
copy/license for Windows XP to install on another machine.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the
>product
> key. Is there a way to get it from my current machine
> --
> thanks

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:33:01 -0800, "dave"
<dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need to install windows XP on a second machine, but I have lost the product
>key. Is there a way to get it from my current machin

Look for "magical jellybean" weird name but it is a simple little
program that will extract your license number for you.

Steve B.

TRENDING THREADS