How do you get rid of all pop up ads?????? or can you?

Tags:
  • Internet
  • Windows XP
March 19, 2005 7:33:02 PM

I am going insane with these freakin pop up ads. I know there is the internet
explorer that can block it and I have it on. I did the tools, internet
options internet, local intranet and trusted sites and don't have any
websites on my lists for pop ups to be allowed.Also on the intenret I checked
prompt for Active X. but that just keep bringing the message"do you want to
run activeX and plugins and I click on yes and no, but stil brings it up. I
think it did help but it kept bringing up that window. I don't want to have a
a free trial with panicware, etc. cause I think that is just a waste and
doesn't last a long time. What can I do to get rid of them. I have lavasoft
adaware and spy bot search and destroy. Is there programs that have adware or
popups that bring them up. I have Bearshare. I know Kazaa has adware but I
don't have it thank goodness. Can you PLEASE HELP ME?? Someone desperatley.
thanks I really appreciate your help!!

More about : rid pop ads

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:55:02 PM

Try installing xp SP2,a pop-up blocker is installed,edit in internet
options....

"fashiongurl" wrote:

> I am going insane with these freakin pop up ads. I know there is the internet
> explorer that can block it and I have it on. I did the tools, internet
> options internet, local intranet and trusted sites and don't have any
> websites on my lists for pop ups to be allowed.Also on the intenret I checked
> prompt for Active X. but that just keep bringing the message"do you want to
> run activeX and plugins and I click on yes and no, but stil brings it up. I
> think it did help but it kept bringing up that window. I don't want to have a
> a free trial with panicware, etc. cause I think that is just a waste and
> doesn't last a long time. What can I do to get rid of them. I have lavasoft
> adaware and spy bot search and destroy. Is there programs that have adware or
> popups that bring them up. I have Bearshare. I know Kazaa has adware but I
> don't have it thank goodness. Can you PLEASE HELP ME?? Someone desperatley.
> thanks I really appreciate your help!!
March 19, 2005 8:31:01 PM

"fashiongurl" wrote:

> I am going insane with these freakin pop up ads. I know there is the internet
> explorer that can block it and I have it on. I did the tools, internet
> options internet, local intranet and trusted sites and don't have any
> websites on my lists for pop ups to be allowed.Also on the intenret I checked
> prompt for Active X. but that just keep bringing the message"do you want to
> run activeX and plugins and I click on yes and no, but stil brings it up. I
> think it did help but it kept bringing up that window. I don't want to have a
> a free trial with panicware, etc. cause I think that is just a waste and
> doesn't last a long time. What can I do to get rid of them. I have lavasoft
> adaware and spy bot search and destroy. Is there programs that have adware or
> popups that bring them up. I have Bearshare. I know Kazaa has adware but I
> don't have it thank goodness. Can you PLEASE HELP ME?? Someone desperatley.
> thanks I really appreciate your help!!

Install a firewall and shutoff messenger service in admin tools.
Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

Free popup blocker and search engine
http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=gdl-tb-en
Related resources
March 19, 2005 8:31:02 PM

If the Internet Explorer settings still don't trap enough of these, then add
in the Google Toolbar.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try installing xp SP2,a pop-up blocker is installed,edit in internet
> options....
>
> "fashiongurl" wrote:
>
> > I am going insane with these freakin pop up ads. I know there is the internet
> > explorer that can block it and I have it on. I did the tools, internet
> > options internet, local intranet and trusted sites and don't have any
> > websites on my lists for pop ups to be allowed.Also on the intenret I checked
> > prompt for Active X. but that just keep bringing the message"do you want to
> > run activeX and plugins and I click on yes and no, but stil brings it up. I
> > think it did help but it kept bringing up that window. I don't want to have a
> > a free trial with panicware, etc. cause I think that is just a waste and
> > doesn't last a long time. What can I do to get rid of them. I have lavasoft
> > adaware and spy bot search and destroy. Is there programs that have adware or
> > popups that bring them up. I have Bearshare. I know Kazaa has adware but I
> > don't have it thank goodness. Can you PLEASE HELP ME?? Someone desperatley.
> > thanks I really appreciate your help!!
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:46:56 PM

fashiongurl wrote:
> I am going insane with these freakin pop up ads. I know there is the internet
> explorer that can block it and I have it on. I did the tools, internet
> options internet, local intranet and trusted sites and don't have any
> websites on my lists for pop ups to be allowed.Also on the intenret I checked
> prompt for Active X. but that just keep bringing the message"do you want to
> run activeX and plugins and I click on yes and no, but stil brings it up. I
> think it did help but it kept bringing up that window. I don't want to have a
> a free trial with panicware, etc. cause I think that is just a waste and
> doesn't last a long time. What can I do to get rid of them. I have lavasoft
> adaware and spy bot search and destroy. Is there programs that have adware or
> popups that bring them up. I have Bearshare. I know Kazaa has adware but I
> don't have it thank goodness. Can you PLEASE HELP ME?? Someone desperatley.
> thanks I really appreciate your help!!

What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
(Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
extraneous AOL garbage.)

3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:42:58 AM

"bruce_a_chambe" wrote:
> [...]
> system
> against most future intrusions. I use both and generally
> perform
> manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.
>
> Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most
> common
> varieties of scumware are available here:
>
> PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
> http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml
>
> More information and assistance is available at these
> sites:
>
> Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> The Parasite Fight
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count

Try installing these popup blockers/ I have them installed, and use
them with the IE blocker and nothing gets through, unless I allow it.

Smart Popup Blocker
http://www.bjstarsoft.com/

Stop-The-Pop-Up
http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/stopthepop/index.html?s...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-rid-pop-ads...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1088588
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:31:02 PM

I tried most of the websites of what Bruce Chambers gave me. It's the
interent pop up ads I usually get. I downloaded Spyware Doctor, but that does
no good cause it COSTS. ERR. you guys should tell us if it is a fre trial or
not.I don't want a link that has pop up blockers that are a free trial. Is
there one thatt really works that is NOT a free trial. I tried the interent
site of PCHell and got rid of some spyware/adware like Wild Tangent, etc.
What can I do to get rid of them? DO I really have to buy a pop up blocker
program??? I have the Google Toolbar. Can you help please?? Thanks!

!