Graphics card upgrade question

Friend has a Dell Dimension 2400 with graphics on the motherboard..he wants
to play games...graphics not up to it...can he upgrade the graphics...can he
add a dedicated graphics card does anyone know?
Thanks

David

You can add a pci graphics card. 2400 has no agp slot.
This probably wont play high end games but will definetly
be an improvement. I have a 64MB nvidia gforce 2 in my
2400. I believe you can still get a 128MB pci card (probably by
mail order). Hope this helps.
Dave

David

I thinks I would go for the
"eVGA nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, PCI"
Is US $53.50 (and $1.99) shipping from www.newegg.com.
Just about $10.00 more than a 64MB one. I've had mine for a while.
This card was not out then.
Dave

Jd

might be worth noting that although you may add a pci video card to the
2400, if your friend wants to play these or other games, especially the
newer ones, you may still not reach system requirements for the game.
cpu type and system ram also play a role in determining how well a game
will run. so make sure you check all spec requirements, as the 2400 is
not really juiced for gaming. especially if it's a celeron model with
low system ram. so make sure to check it all out before you waste time
and money installing a pci card which may not do the trick regardless :
)

Jd

the box the game came in will give you minimum and recommended
requirements. if it specifies p4 or amd directly, you have to find out
if your celeron is somewhat equal to which chips are recommended. and i
doubt it would be. i have seen post from those who say they play
somewhat demanding games on thier celeron equipped computers, but i
wouldn't know this were an actual fact. at any rate, with those specs
and a pci card i doubt if you would get much out of it. although you
might get something. again, just make sure what you want to do is at
all possible before you go tearing the machine up. and it would be
interesting to here from anyone who actually does play games other then
blackjack on thier celeron machines, and what there experiences have
been. get ready for more side stitches, s. lewis!

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> might be worth noting that although you may add a pci video card to the
> 2400, if your friend wants to play these or other games, especially the
> newer ones, you may still not reach system requirements for the game.
> cpu type and system ram also play a role in determining how well a game
> will run. so make sure you check all spec requirements, as the 2400 is
> not really juiced for gaming. especially if it's a celeron model with
> low system ram. so make sure to check it all out before you waste time
> and money installing a pci card which may not do the trick regardless :
> )

You said "celeron" and "gaming" in the same sentence. Let's hope the OP
knows why my sides are now hurting.

Stew

> the box the game came in will give you minimum and recommended
> requirements. if it specifies p4 or amd directly, you have to find out
> if your celeron is somewhat equal to which chips are recommended. and i
> doubt it would be. i have seen post from those who say they play
> somewhat demanding games on thier celeron equipped computers, but i
> wouldn't know this were an actual fact. at any rate, with those specs
> and a pci card i doubt if you would get much out of it. although you
> might get something. again, just make sure what you want to do is at
> all possible before you go tearing the machine up. and it would be
> interesting to here from anyone who actually does play games other then
> blackjack on thier celeron machines, and what there experiences have
> been. get ready for more side stitches, s. lewis!

You betcha. At least with the 2.6, I believe the cache goes up to a whopping
256mb....wait - that's only with the 533mhz FSB. Nevermind.

It will be interesting to see if anyone is pounding away on Doom III with a
celery.

Stew

"David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
> You can add a pci graphics card. 2400 has no agp slot.
> This probably wont play high end games but will definetly
> be an improvement. I have a 64MB nvidia gforce 2 in my
> 2400. I believe you can still get a 128MB pci card (probably by
> mail order). Hope this helps.
> Dave
----------------

Useful reply Dave, thanks.

The details friend gave me were...

..."can't run my exciting new Golf Game (Xmas pressie) or the new Rally
game
which I think requires a 64MB card capable of "Pixel Shading"..."

So perhaps a 64MB nvidia gforce 2 as per yours may do the trick would you
think?

Thanks again.

John
------------

"David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote:

>You can add a pci graphics card. 2400 has no agp slot.
>This probably wont play high end games but will definetly
>be an improvement. I have a 64MB nvidia gforce 2 in my
>2400. I believe you can still get a 128MB pci card (probably by
>mail order). Hope this helps.
>Dave

Anyone any links for UK?

The ones I've seen cost the earth!
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=7743&GroupID=27
they even have a £24 ati 7000 pci video card... but the £35 mx400 is better.

>I thinks I would go for the
> "eVGA nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, PCI"
> Is US $53.50 (and $1.99) shipping from www.newegg.com.
> Just about $10.00 more than a 64MB one. I've had mine for a while.
> This card was not out then.
> Dave
-------------------------
If I recommend to my mate that he goes for the 64MB as per
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=7743&GroupID=27

or a 128MB as per
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=37T1&referrerid=KK

do you (or other members) think that would be an improvement....I'm not sure
how I can find out without trying it?

I take on board what another member said about the other specs of the Dell
being important.....don't want to suggest he buys one of the above cards
only to find its zero improvement.
His Spec is Dell Celeron 2.6GHz, 400MHz FSB, 500MB DDR RAM and 17" flat
panel screen.

Thanks again,
John