Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Vectrex system alone, or find
one with several games. No one seems to be making & selling their own
overlays anymore, correct? If I got a Vecflash, how much work/money
would it be for me to find all the overlays separarelty without games?

I'm surprised someone hasn't hacked the ROM's to add overlays, since
so arcade ROMs are hacked for MAME and such.

Brian wrote:
> I'm trying to decide whether to get a Vectrex system alone, or find
> one with several games. No one seems to be making & selling their
own
> overlays anymore, correct? If I got a Vecflash, how much work/money
> would it be for me to find all the overlays separarelty without
games?

Hard to say, really. With some of the harder to get games you'll be
competing with people who are trying to get a complete game in box with
overlay, so your prices for those would be higher. You'll have to be
patient, which to me is the whole point of collecting -- if you got
everything you wanted right away there would be no incentive to keep
your interest.

If you 'want it now' your best bet would be to try and track down
someone who bought one of the sets of overlays that were made. Be
warned though that there was at least one scammer who took money and
delivered some sets yet later took money and disappeared. The whole
thing has left a bad taste in the mouth of many on the group.

-OR- you can track down the high quality scans and do it yourself. The
entire newsgroup is archved on goggle groups and there have been
discussions and opinoins on the best wey to do it. It's very time
consuming to do.

Another route is to contract someone who can make a custom cut die for
you. I believe this is what Alex Herbert did for the limited run of
Protector. You'd have to make a lot of them for it to be really worth
it. Kevin Horton and I were discussing doing up a cutsom cut set of
Vec overlays and we figured the full set would run in the $250-300
range, perhaps more. We'd have to make up and sell at least 1000 sets
to just break even. Kev made some posts about doing such a project
here on the group and there really wasn't much response so the project
has been shelved.

> I'm surprised someone hasn't hacked the ROM's to add overlays, since
> so arcade ROMs are hacked for MAME and such.

People have made scans that can be used with emulators such as MESS and
DVE.

Arcade ROMS aren't usually hacked for MAME as that is somewaht counter
to the idea of emulating the game and from a historical preservation
standpoint (and the REAL reason MAME exists anyway). What I think
you're saying though is that people have made overlay and screen
artwork scans that can be used in MAME if you like.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Here's what I did, which made me a very happy vectrex player:

I bought a Vectrex locally, since I wouldn't want something so delicate
shipped.
I bought one of Richard Hutchinson's excellent vec-flash carts...beats a
multicart any day!
Made my own set of overlays using scans found all over the net, printed them
on transparencies, and lamanated them. They came out GREAT, but I'll never
do it again as it was a LOT of work to get them right. I noticed that there
are a lot of low quality scans around, but I found a near perfect set after
looking a little while. Sorry, dont have it bookmarked.

Here are some general instructions for creating overlays:

http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~de-smet/overlay.html

Hope all this helps...

Mike

"Brian" <not@given.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide whether to get a Vectrex system alone, or find
> one with several games. No one seems to be making & selling their own
> overlays anymore, correct? If I got a Vecflash, how much work/money
> would it be for me to find all the overlays separarelty without games?
>
> I'm surprised someone hasn't hacked the ROM's to add overlays, since
> so arcade ROMs are hacked for MAME and such.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Of course, right after I posted this, I found the link to the nice set of
overlays! Here it is:

http://www.vectrex.nl/overlay.shtml

Try making them, it's the best way to get a complete set.

Mike