Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Free online ASus support

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 25, 2012 9:44:37 PM

I've been having problems with my computer/the battery or the charger. I am able to charge it while it is turned off, but when I have it plugged in to charge via the AC adapter, it will constantly flicker 'battery mode' to 'AC mode' and back again, while not having it charge whatsoever.

I've tried unplugging and plugging the charger back in, doing the same with the battery, cleaning the battery, and blowing out all the connection ports for those to no avail.

My laptop is an Asus Notebook U52F Series and runs Windows 7.
March 25, 2012 9:47:57 PM

Bit more info.. It was working perfectly back in December, then I had a problem with the charger and had to get a new one.. Got a new one about late january/early february, and it has been acting up in this way for about 3 weeks.

At times I was able to charge it fully and then keep it on, but now that hasn't even been working
March 25, 2012 9:57:45 PM

yugiohdragons said:
Bit more info.. It was working perfectly back in December, then I had a problem with the charger and had to get a new one.. Got a new one about late january/early february, and it has been acting up in this way for about 3 weeks.

At times I was able to charge it fully and then keep it on, but now that hasn't even been working



did you get the AC adpater from ASUS ?

if you still have the old one, compare the specs on it to your new one.

you will get problems like these if they are not the same, and even then, some cheap after market ac adapters just dont perform well
Related resources
March 25, 2012 10:22:43 PM

chudddds said:
did you get the AC adpater from ASUS ?

if you still have the old one, compare the specs on it to your new one.

you will get problems like these if they are not the same, and even then, some cheap after market ac adapters just dont perform well


I do still have the old one (somewhere) I think..
No i did not get the new one from Asus, as currently I don't have the money to.
The charger I'm using is one from a toshiba Satellite I had owned, which had the Motherboard fry (and so I just went and got the new Asus vs paying the same amount for just a motherboard).
March 25, 2012 10:32:18 PM

yugiohdragons said:
I do still have the old one (somewhere) I think..
No i did not get the new one from Asus, as currently I don't have the money to.
The charger I'm using is one from a toshiba Satellite I had owned, which had the Motherboard fry (and so I just went and got the new Asus vs paying the same amount for just a motherboard).


thats the problem, you are using an ac adapter that is not the correct power output for your laptop

STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY !!!


get the correct ac adapter
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2012 10:35:03 PM

Wow. Those arent universal power bricks. Lucky you didnt fry it already.
March 25, 2012 10:50:38 PM

The AC adapter is an integral part of any laptop. While laptops are able to run on battery power, without the AC adapter, there would be no way to recharge the battery. Laptop AC adapters provide power to the laptop and the battery by converting the electricity coming from an outlet, which is AC (alternating current), into DC (direct current) power and outputting it at the correct voltage. Older laptops often had the convertor or transformer included in the laptop itself, but this added unnecessary weight.

The laptop AC power adapter usually has two main parts. The first is the "brick" or the largest part of the adapter, which is the transformer that does the conversion from AC to DC current and connects to the laptop through a cable. Manufacturers specifically differentiate the tip sizes of this cable to ensure that users don't plug an incompatible adapter into the wrong laptop, which could cause damage to the laptop or laptop AC adapter. The transformer is often significantly larger for more powerful laptops. This is due to the fact that a more powerful laptop requires more wattage. For example, a small netbook, designed for power efficiency and better battery life, may only draw a maximum of 40W of power. A desktop replacement laptop, with more power-hungry components, may draw 185W or more during heavy use. Therefore, it also usually requires a more powerful transformer, which translates to a larger "brick".

The second part of the laptop power adapter is the power cord, which connects from the brick to the wall outlet and delivers electrical power to the transformer. The power cord normally comes in a couple different varieties depending on the specifications of the AC adapter. With some laptop AC adapters, this cord is permanently attached instead of being removable.

When shopping for a replacement for your laptop AC adapter, it is important to find one that is compatible with your specific model. Use a parts locator tool online to find the laptop AC adapters that are compatible with your model. This ensures that they provide the correct voltage, and that they have the correct tip to be used with your laptop or notebook. As mentioned, using an incorrect laptop or notebook AC adapter could cause damage.

The main choice to make when buying a replacement laptop AC adapter is whether to buy an OEM model, which is one made directly by the manufacturer, or a third-party compatible model. Buying a third-party adapter from a trusted reseller can often save money, and many reputable sellers offer a warranty and a satisfaction guaranteed, which will give you the peace of mind that your replacement AC adapter is a quality product.
!