Serial vs. USB

Hi,

I just bought a gadget. It's configurable via Windows NT software. I guess
that will run under XP. True?

The configuration data gets downloaded to the gadget from a serial port on
the Windows machine. A cable is provided. However, my Windows XP machine only
has USB ports. I imagine this kind of problem comes up pretty often.

Is there an easy way to move the USB data to the serial cable?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Sensitive New Age Thug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a gadget. It's configurable via Windows NT software. I guess
> that will run under XP. True?

No, not necessarily true, at all. WinNT is a very old version of
Windows, of which WinXP is the latest generation. It's entirely
possible that your "gadget" will not connect to, or work with, a modern
computer and operating system. Does the manufacturer claim
WinXP-compatibility and provide the necessary device drivers?

> The configuration data gets downloaded to the gadget from a serial port on
> the Windows machine. A cable is provided. However, my Windows XP machine only
> has USB ports. I imagine this kind of problem comes up pretty often.

No, not too often, actually. Most people make sure, *before* buying a
hardware component, that it can actually be connected to the computer.

> Is there an easy way to move the USB data to the serial cable?

If the device has been specifically designed by its manufacturer to do
so, and if the manufacturer has supplied the necessary adapter and
software, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

bar

So your serial port gadget cannot be used as the PC only has USB connectors
for gadgets. Is that the gist of your dilemma?

If so, there are other gadgets that can be bought which provide USB to
Serial Adapter.

Plenty to look at right here:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

"BAR" wrote:

> So your serial port gadget cannot be used as the PC only has USB connectors
> for gadgets. Is that the gist of your dilemma?
>
> If so, there are other gadgets that can be bought which provide USB to
> Serial Adapter.
>
> Plenty to look at right here:
> http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

You nailed it! That's what I need! I wondered if this sort of device is
available, but I'd never seen one before, never needed one before. It's
likely the adaptor plus the software will work fine on my XP machine.

Thanks a bunch,

Tim Miller

Cyberguys is great place for hard to find hardware goodies for
computing: http://www.cyberguys.com/

TRENDING THREADS