so i started collecting vectrex games...

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

.... and someone offered me a dark tower beta cartridge. Could this be
real? he sent me a picture (no casing, just a chip on a board, with
some handwritten stuff on it). How can I tell it's real? what would be
a good price? how many are known to exist? (i checked the faq and it
says just one... is this still true?)

thanks in advance,

florian

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

so i bought the machine and the cartridges from him (at good price -
for both of us). I am looking forwad to get my hands on the machine and
take some photos to post here. As as he could tell me, he received the
cartridge from a friend (programmer) 12 years ago.
we will see :D

flo

<haftbar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ... and someone offered me a dark tower beta cartridge. Could this be
> real? he sent me a picture (no casing, just a chip on a board, with
> some handwritten stuff on it). How can I tell it's real? what would be
> a good price? how many are known to exist? (i checked the faq and it
> says just one... is this still true?)

No idea how to tell if it is real but sure some of the collectors on here
can give you some pointers.

Given my story yesterday of my colleague who played Dark Tower in Hamleys in
London I imagine there must have been more than one made, even if it was
just a few to cover the main toyshop in each territory in the world.

cNp

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

the games & the vectrex finally arrived. I took some pictures (a little
blurry, sorry for that)
see here:
www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/oben.JPG
www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/unten.JPG
www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/detal.JPG
the number on the EPROM says:
D27C128
- 150V05
v837007
(c) ....(?) ... 86 (or 88)

cheers

florian

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

what do you guys think is a good price for the module (if it's real)?
it's fully working.

cheers,
florian

"quickie" <haftbar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> the games & the vectrex finally arrived. I took some pictures (a little
> blurry, sorry for that)
> see here:
> www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/oben.JPG
> www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/unten.JPG
> www.haftbar.de/~markus/darktower/detal.JPG
> the number on the EPROM says:
> D27C128
> - 150V05
> v837007
> (c) ....(?) ... 86 (or 88)

If that's for real that's pretty 'special'!

Who actually has the existing one that the freely available rom was taken
from?

cNp

> what do you guys think is a good price for the module (if it's real)?
> it's fully working.

Well it's VERY rare, and so very desirable to a completist collector.

On the other hand the ROM for the game has been previously released and the
number of people who would be bidding for such an item would be very few.

You might be better finding out how much previous such items went for and
perhaps asking for offers from some of the really 'serious' collectors.

Proving it's an original might be your stumbling block.

cNp

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I guess I missed his post originally.. :) I'm guessing it's a
reproduction. The EPROM is dated 1986 or 88, that seems too late for
it be real (for a game made in 1983ish). It's also a 27C128, which,
if I remember correctly, is twice the size of this game (27C64 would
work fine, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Today, that's no big
deal, but back in the early 80s these chips weren't cheap, so that
would be a big waste. Also, the EPROM is soldered in, normally on a
prototype the EPROMs are socketed so they can be removed and re-burned
with fixes/different games. (Also seems weird that someone bothered to
try to mark-out the identifying text on the chip...)

Then I found this website:
http://www.heimcomputer.de/english/konsolen/vectrex.html
Which features another picture of one of these cartridges but with
slightly different handwriting (and a copy of some instructions in
German). I don't believe this is the original proto (I seem to recall
that one looking more like a normal Vec cartridge circuit board), so I
think someone in Germany was just making repro boards for people...

That's just my first impression anyway...

Rik