"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" startup error

At sysem startup, I've recently begun recieving the error message,
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to
close."

The error log states the following

Applicatio n Error - Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0,
faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

The error report, which I'm sending now at 11am (GMT+8.00), contains the two
following files,
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\appcompat.txt

Any ideas on how to remove this problem would be geatly appreciated please.

I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2
3 answers Last reply
More about generic host process win32 services startup error

    Hi Ratmuffin,

    Isolate the problem, then addressing it may be much easier:

    How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ratmuffin" <Ratmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > At sysem startup, I've recently begun recieving the error message,
    > "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
    > close."
    >
    > The error log states the following
    >
    > Applicatio n Error - Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0,
    > faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
    >
    > The error report, which I'm sending now at 11am (GMT+8.00), contains the
    > two
    > following files,
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >
    > Any ideas on how to remove this problem would be geatly appreciated
    > please.
    >
    > I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

    Have you tried running anti-virus programme with updated definitions? Do
    you have an anti-virus programme? What firewall do you have installed?

    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Ratmuffin" <Ratmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > At sysem startup, I've recently begun recieving the error message,
    > "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and
    > needed to
    > close."
    >
    > The error log states the following
    >
    > Applicatio n Error - Faulting application svchost.exe, version
    > 0.0.0.0,
    > faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
    >
    > The error report, which I'm sending now at 11am (GMT+8.00), contains
    > the two
    > following files,
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >
    > Any ideas on how to remove this problem would be geatly appreciated
    > please.
    >
    > I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

    Go run type "SFC /scannow" to fix this problem. Have a try good luck.

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried running anti-virus programme with updated definitions? Do
    > you have an anti-virus programme? What firewall do you have installed?
    >
    > Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    > update Reference file
    > from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    > parasites.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "Ratmuffin" <Ratmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> At sysem startup, I've recently begun recieving the error message,
    >> "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
    >> close."
    >>
    >> The error log states the following
    >>
    >> Applicatio n Error - Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0,
    >> faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
    >>
    >> The error report, which I'm sending now at 11am (GMT+8.00), contains the
    >> two
    >> following files,
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1f0f.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to remove this problem would be geatly appreciated
    >> please.
    >>
    >> I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

Win32 Svchost.Exe Windows XP