Repairing Internet Explorer

My IE has become corrupted so I have had to turn to Firefox to access the
internet. How do I repair Windows XP Pro-SP2 IE v6? I first noticed the
problem when using Outlook Express hyperlinks. Task Manager indicates IE-Not
responding. Then trying to access IE directly I had the same response. Can
anyone help an old geezer? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi John,

In most cases, Internet Explorer does not require a repair especially in
Windows XP. The unresponsiveness of IE is usually caused by third-party
addons, malware etc. Run these malware cleaners:

1. Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

2. SpyBot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org

3. CWShredder

Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

Clean-up Windows Startup:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

Then, run a full system virus scan with fully updated definitions. Try Trend
Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers,
trojans etc.

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

FYI, to repair IE 6 SP2, you need to reinstall Windows XP SP2 (though it's
not necessary). For OE hyperlinks issue, try this:

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer
2. Click Start/Run and type INETCPL.CPL
3. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings" button
4. Select "Yes" when prompted, and click OK to close the dialog.

This usually fixes the corrupt IE related file associations. If not, you may
want to execute these commands from Start/Run:

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

See also:
You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
click a link:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

To fix the Internet Explorer settings (file associations) etc, you may use
the Set Program Access and Defaults feature in Add/Remove Programs applet.
This really is an wonderful feature. The equivalent command for setting
Internet Explorer as the default is (type in Start/Run):

shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE

This command sets IE as the default, and fixes the incorrect association
settings. Applicable for Windows XP SP1 and above (and above Windows 2000
SP4 I *think*)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User