Programs not running from desktop

Hi

I am running Windows XP on a Sony VAIO.

For no apparent reason, some of my desktop shortcuts would not execute the
program giving me the message...
"Windows cannot access the specified device, file or path. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item."
However, I am the only user on the machine and I can access the programs
from "Start>Programs....". I can also start the programs if I pull the
desktop shortcut to my taskbar.
I have tried deleting the shortcut and replacing it but this doesn't help.

Please help.
--

Regards

William
1 answer Last reply
More about programs running desktop

    Hi William,

    Try the .lnl repair file from MVP Doug Knox here under WinXP Fixes/File
    Association Fixes: www.dougknox.com

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "William" <willwest22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running Windows XP on a Sony VAIO.
    >
    > For no apparent reason, some of my desktop shortcuts would not execute the
    > program giving me the message...
    > "Windows cannot access the specified device, file or path. You may not
    > have
    > the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    > However, I am the only user on the machine and I can access the programs
    > from "Start>Programs....". I can also start the programs if I pull the
    > desktop shortcut to my taskbar.
    > I have tried deleting the shortcut and replacing it but this doesn't help.
    >
    > Please help.
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > William