Programs not running from desktop

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows XP
March 20, 2005 6:34:26 AM

Hi

I am running Windows XP on a Sony VAIO.

For no apparent reason, some of my desktop shortcuts would not execute the
program giving me the message...
"Windows cannot access the specified device, file or path. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item."
However, I am the only user on the machine and I can access the programs
from "Start>Programs....". I can also start the programs if I pull the
desktop shortcut to my taskbar.
I have tried deleting the shortcut and replacing it but this doesn't help.

Please help.
--

Regards

William

More about : programs running desktop

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:34:25 AM

Hi William,

Try the .lnl repair file from MVP Doug Knox here under WinXP Fixes/File
Association Fixes: www.dougknox.com

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/