Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Vecflash problems

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2005 12:53:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
box?

I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.

More about : vecflash problems

January 29, 2005 2:14:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

mos6507@yahoo.com wrote:
> Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
> box?
>
> I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
> get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
> erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.


I have XP. Try doing these things in this order...

Start the VecFlash software (configure serial port if necessary)
Turn on Vectrex
Clear the Menu
Load the binary files
Press Make (Vectrex will then start up)
Close the VecFlash software
Turn off Vectrex when done (and before restarting VecFlash software)
George
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2005 1:33:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Configure the serial port which way?

I can't get that far in this list of tasks because the VecFlash
software doesn't manage to connect to the cart, and when it does, it
freezes when you do the first command, like it's getting no feedback
from the cart.

How long should these operations take, btw?

And does the Vec display something different when the cart is erasing
or burning?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 29, 2005 4:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

mos6507@yahoo.com wrote:
> Configure the serial port which way?
>
> I can't get that far in this list of tasks because the VecFlash
> software doesn't manage to connect to the cart, and when it does, it
> freezes when you do the first command, like it's getting no feedback
> from the cart.
>

I'm just referring to actually choosing the correct port
in the VecFlash software. There's a place where you choose
Com1, Com2, or etc.

Once you do that, turn on the Vectrex, and it should connect
with the software.


> How long should these operations take, btw?
>

Just a few seconds.

> And does the Vec display something different when the cart is erasing
> or burning?

No. The Vectrex screen will be blank until after the "make"
task has been completed. Then the VecFlash title screen will
come up.

Hope this helps,
George
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2005 3:00:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
> box?
>
> I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
> get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
> erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
>

Hi,

I've had a similar problem.
In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register a
connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked up. There
should be a progress bar running).

I suggest you contact Richard about this.

Regards,

dgo
February 4, 2005 7:32:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

dgo <bakkerpReMoVe@xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<Xns95EE845E413DF696969@194.109.133.29>...
> mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
> > box?
> >
> > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
> > get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
> > erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
> >
>
> Hi,
>
> I've had a similar problem.
> In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
> default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register a
> connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked up. There
> should be a progress bar running).
>
> I suggest you contact Richard about this.
>
> Regards,
>
> dgo

Mine doesn't work too. At what baud rate did you set it??

Ray
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2005 7:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yes, like Pepijn stated, it's an incompatibility issue on certain PC's.

I've now re-done the firmware which will cure the problems with the cart (I
know Pepijn's works fine).

It will not affect the download speed.



BTW Ray, I've shipped you a new PCB today.



Richard H.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2005 1:36:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

raycremers@hotmail.com (ray) wrote in
news:c9a9ad9c.0502040432.542b70e8@posting.google.com:

> dgo <bakkerpReMoVe@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> news:<Xns95EE845E413DF696969@194.109.133.29>...
>> mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
>> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
>> > box?
>> >
>> > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able
>> > to get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it
>> > to erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
>> >
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've had a similar problem.
>> In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
>> default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register
>> a connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked
>> up. There should be a progress bar running).
>>
>> I suggest you contact Richard about this.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> dgo
>
> Mine doesn't work too. At what baud rate did you set it??
>
> Ray

All I know is that it's an incompatibility problem which occurred on few
systems with an older version of the driver.

Richard swiftly & adequately solved the problem (thanks again Richard!)

and yes like he said, it works flawless ever since! (at least now I don't
have to use my own game bin's and don't have to turn off the Vectrex
everytime I want to load a different game like the with the older Sean
Kelly Multicarts :)  )
February 7, 2005 3:40:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I reinstalled the software and rearranged the files and folders and
just when I had enough of it…it worked, well it connected. Loading the
first game it got stuck at 1%, but after a restart all went well.

Loving it!

Ray
January 10, 2008 2:23:55 PM

Unfortunately I can't get mine running. It was working at one time, and I can still play a few previously loaded roms, but I get the same symptoms as this thread. It detects the port and cart fine, but hangs as soon as it connects and attempts to erase or initialize. Ive tried both older and newer loader with my serial version. I'm thinking I may try a USB / Serial adapter, but am thinking the cart is in some type of 'stuck' state.

Any other ideas? Is there some type of hard reset I can perform?

Thanks in advance,

Dean
!