Vecflash problems

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
box?

I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
9 answers Last reply
More about vecflash problems
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    mos6507@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
    > box?
    >
    > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
    > get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
    > erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.

    I have XP. Try doing these things in this order...

    Start the VecFlash software (configure serial port if necessary)
    Turn on Vectrex
    Clear the Menu
    Load the binary files
    Press Make (Vectrex will then start up)
    Close the VecFlash software
    Turn off Vectrex when done (and before restarting VecFlash software)
    George
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Configure the serial port which way?

    I can't get that far in this list of tasks because the VecFlash
    software doesn't manage to connect to the cart, and when it does, it
    freezes when you do the first command, like it's getting no feedback
    from the cart.

    How long should these operations take, btw?

    And does the Vec display something different when the cart is erasing
    or burning?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    mos6507@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Configure the serial port which way?
    >
    > I can't get that far in this list of tasks because the VecFlash
    > software doesn't manage to connect to the cart, and when it does, it
    > freezes when you do the first command, like it's getting no feedback
    > from the cart.

    I'm just referring to actually choosing the correct port
    in the VecFlash software. There's a place where you choose
    Com1, Com2, or etc.

    Once you do that, turn on the Vectrex, and it should connect
    with the software.

    > How long should these operations take, btw?

    Just a few seconds.

    > And does the Vec display something different when the cart is erasing
    > or burning?

    No. The Vectrex screen will be blank until after the "make"
    task has been completed. Then the VecFlash title screen will
    come up.

    Hope this helps,
    George
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
    > box?
    >
    > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
    > get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
    > erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.

    Hi,

    I've had a similar problem.
    In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
    default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register a
    connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked up. There
    should be a progress bar running).

    I suggest you contact Richard about this.

    Regards,

    dgo
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    dgo <bakkerpReMoVe@xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<Xns95EE845E413DF696969@194.109.133.29>...
    > mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
    > @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
    > > box?
    > >
    > > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able to
    > > get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it to
    > > erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had a similar problem.
    > In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
    > default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register a
    > connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked up. There
    > should be a progress bar running).
    >
    > I suggest you contact Richard about this.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > dgo

    Mine doesn't work too. At what baud rate did you set it??

    Ray
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Yes, like Pepijn stated, it's an incompatibility issue on certain PC's.

    I've now re-done the firmware which will cure the problems with the cart (I
    know Pepijn's works fine).

    It will not affect the download speed.

    BTW Ray, I've shipped you a new PCB today.

    Richard H.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    raycremers@hotmail.com (ray) wrote in

    > dgo <bakkerpReMoVe@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    >> mos6507@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106978024.849415.113300
    >> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >> > Are there any tricks to getting the Vecflash to work on a modern XP
    >> > box?
    >> >
    >> > I have two serial ports on my motherboard but I've only been able
    >> > to get the loader to think it's connected twice, and when I told it
    >> > to erase, it just sat there forever and I had to close the program.
    >> >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've had a similar problem.
    >> In my case there was a problem @ the cart's default baud rate. At the
    >> default speed for some reason it didn't communicate (it did register
    >> a connect sometimes, but when you uploaded an image, it just locked
    >> up. There should be a progress bar running).
    >>
    >> I suggest you contact Richard about this.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> dgo
    >
    > Mine doesn't work too. At what baud rate did you set it??
    >
    > Ray

    All I know is that it's an incompatibility problem which occurred on few
    systems with an older version of the driver.

    Richard swiftly & adequately solved the problem (thanks again Richard!)

    and yes like he said, it works flawless ever since! (at least now I don't
    have to use my own game bin's and don't have to turn off the Vectrex
    everytime I want to load a different game like the with the older Sean
    Kelly Multicarts :) )
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I reinstalled the software and rearranged the files and folders and
    just when I had enough of it…it worked, well it connected. Loading the
    first game it got stuck at 1%, but after a restart all went well.

    Loving it!

    Ray
  9. Unfortunately I can't get mine running. It was working at one time, and I can still play a few previously loaded roms, but I get the same symptoms as this thread. It detects the port and cart fine, but hangs as soon as it connects and attempts to erase or initialize. Ive tried both older and newer loader with my serial version. I'm thinking I may try a USB / Serial adapter, but am thinking the cart is in some type of 'stuck' state.

    Any other ideas? Is there some type of hard reset I can perform?

    Thanks in advance,

    Dean

Console Gaming Games Motherboards Video Games