how good isMobility Radeon 7000 64MB?

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone have any idea how good the ATI Mobility RADEON 7000 is? Its got up to 64MB of shared video memory and 4X AGP 3D......

Thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
It's the same as a Regular Radeon 7000, which is the old Radeon LE I believe. (A Radeon with no hardware transform & lighting acceleration)

About the equivalent of the Geforce2 MX, as far as speed goes.

These parts are the bottom-rung of gaming graphics cards for the desktop PC world, but for Laptops they're somewhere around the middle. Most laptops come with crappy integrated video that has absolutely no gaming capability, so a mobile Radeon 7000 isn't so bad in that respect. At the very least it should RUN most games, although your detail level will have to be rock-bottom for newer titles, and 800*600 resolution or lower.

But it sure as hell isn't going to play Half Life 2 or anything. If you're a serious gamer, go mobility radeon 9600. Of course, it's wayyyyy more expensive...

You get what you pay for.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
ALL the Radeon cards had hardware T&L. I'm pretty sure of it. I have a Mobility Radeon 7500 in my Laptop, I'm sure it will run HL2 on super reduced settings though. Do you have a mobility 7000 already or were you considering purchasing one. IF I were you the 2 best cards for Mobile gaming would be the Mobility Radeon 9600 & the GeForce Ti4200 Go. Those would be the only 2 I would consider getting unless your on a tight budget, then a Mobility 9000 would suffice.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
I havent purchased it yet but because the next step up from HP, wich is the 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go, costs quite a bit more (at least $100 more).

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, I looked into it (from a review):

"The Radeon 7000 differs in interesting ways from the 2001 Radeon. While it boasts a faster clock speed and dual-head capabilities, the card has been pared down with one less rendering pipeline and no Charisma Engine™ to perform Transform, Clipping, and Lighting (TCL) instructions."

The 440 go is faster than the 7000, but not really better... both are DirectX 7 parts.

I wouldn't bother upgrading to anything less than a mobility 9000 which at least has DX8 capabilities.

If you're going to stay with DX7, I don't know what to tell ya. With newer games, it won't make a difference if you choose the 7000 or 440 go because neither is fast enough to run them. With older games, you'd probably see a good 20% speed boost with the 440 go.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
The GeForce 4 4xx (3-digits) Go cards are not suitable for a gaming purchase. Now, the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Go (4-digits) is a pretty solid card. Like I said I wouldn't get ANYTHING less than a Mobility Radeon 9000. If you can afford more, go for a 4200 Go. If you can afford even more than that go for 9600 Go.

So for gamer <b>laptops</b> (not desktops mind you):
1. Budget/Low end - THe Mobility Radeon 9000 is the best choice
2. Mid-range - The Ti 4200 Go is the best choice if you have a want a really solid gaming laptop.
3. High-end - The Radeon Mobility 9600 is currently the fastest, most visually appealing Graphics card for laptops that money can buy.

So, which ever of the 3 Budget ranges you are in, I would pick my mobile gaming card accordingly.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have the old Radeon LE, it was the VE that had no hardware T&L

Radeon VE~Radeon 7000
Radeon LE~Radeon 7200 DDR
Radeon DDR VIVO-->Radeon 7500.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
WIth a laptop, I don't have much a choice but to stay with a 7500. At least I have some desktops with some decent DX8 parts that I'll be playing the game with. I'm surprised to hear that the some of the Radeons didn't have Hardware T&L.