USB to serial adaptor with a VecFlash?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm now the happy owner of a VecFlash (thanks Richard!). However...

My shiny new laptop doesn't have a serial port on it. That's not too bad
because I've still got my musty old one which does, and one of the
advantages of the VecFlash is of course that you can just setup a bunch
of games and not need the computer until you want to put something
different on it.

Nevertheless, one day my old laptop might shuffle off this silicon coil,
and besides it's my new one I'm probably downloading new stuff on etc,
so I'd like to be able to use the VecFlash with the new laptop. Which
probably means plugging it into a USB to serial adaptor.

Has anyone tried one of these with a VecFlash?

I've seen them for £20+ (~$40), which is fine if it works, but quite a
lot if the two gizmos turn out to be incompatible with each other.

Cheers
Roberto/.

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
> I can't see why it shouldn't work, as it's using serial at standard baud
> rates through Window's (not low level).
>

> BTW they're very cheap on EBay -
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41995&item=6742452044&rd=1

That's a much better price!

> If you want to wait, I'll get one and give it a go.

Well, if you insist, be my guest :)
However, at less than a tenner, I'm not so worried about trying one.

Thanks,
Roberto/.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

OK - I've bought one, which should be here by next week.

I'll test it out and report back.

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Roberto, it turned up this morning and I've just this minute tested it.

It works perfectly with the VecFlash

The adaptor just shows up as another com port (com 2 on mine) when plugged
into the USB

Richard H.

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
> Roberto, it turned up this morning and I've just this minute tested it.
>
> It works perfectly with the VecFlash

Excellent; I'll get one.

> The adaptor just shows up as another com port (com 2 on mine) when plugged
> into the USB

I have used USB-serial adaptors before and that is indeed what they do.
Just glad to hear that the VecFlash works fine with one - not that I
ever doubted your engineering wouldn't be well behaved of course :)

Thanks for trying one,
Roberto/.