Explorer crashes from video?

March 20, 2005 6:05:02 AM

I have a video that I just finished rendering in 3D Studio Max and whenever
Explorer tries to render a thumbnail, Explorer crashes. The video has the AVI
extension and if I rename it .TXT or something, Explorer doesn't crash. The
video is encoded using the very standard Cinepak codec and plays fine in
numerous players (even the seriously outdated WinAmp 1.1) without any errors.
I've tried the file on 6 computers (all running XP Pro) and they all crash as
soon as they try to render a thumbnail of the video. I've had at least 4
other videos in the past that had this issue too. I'm gonna re-encode the
video using XviD which should fix the issue but just wondering what would
cause this and how to fix it?

More about : explorer crashes video

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:23:16 AM

Find the hidden "thumbs.db' file in that folder, and delete it.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"LargeNostril" <LargeNostril@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AAE686C-E59F-478D-B8B8-C6B73EA5DFC9@microsoft.com...
>I have a video that I just finished rendering in 3D Studio Max and whenever
> Explorer tries to render a thumbnail, Explorer crashes. The video has the AVI
> extension and if I rename it .TXT or something, Explorer doesn't crash. The
> video is encoded using the very standard Cinepak codec and plays fine in
> numerous players (even the seriously outdated WinAmp 1.1) without any errors.
> I've tried the file on 6 computers (all running XP Pro) and they all crash as
> soon as they try to render a thumbnail of the video. I've had at least 4
> other videos in the past that had this issue too. I'm gonna re-encode the
> video using XviD which should fix the issue but just wondering what would
> cause this and how to fix it?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay of my response but I forgot about
this post. But anyway, I deleted the Thumbs.db file, disabled thumbnail view
in the folder the file is in, and disabled caching of the thumbnails. The
problem doesn't exist when I open the folder but when I select the file and
Windows Explorer tries to generate the thumbnail in the left frame of the
window (the Explorer Bar, where it has 'Other Places' and 'Details', etc.) it
crashes. Any thoughts?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Find the hidden "thumbs.db' file in that folder, and delete it.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "LargeNostril" <LargeNostril@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AAE686C-E59F-478D-B8B8-C6B73EA5DFC9@microsoft.com...
> >I have a video that I just finished rendering in 3D Studio Max and whenever
> > Explorer tries to render a thumbnail, Explorer crashes. The video has the AVI
> > extension and if I rename it .TXT or something, Explorer doesn't crash. The
> > video is encoded using the very standard Cinepak codec and plays fine in
> > numerous players (even the seriously outdated WinAmp 1.1) without any errors.
> > I've tried the file on 6 computers (all running XP Pro) and they all crash as
> > soon as they try to render a thumbnail of the video. I've had at least 4
> > other videos in the past that had this issue too. I'm gonna re-encode the
> > video using XviD which should fix the issue but just wondering what would
> > cause this and how to fix it?

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:47:36 AM

Depending on what app is the default viewer for that filetype, some dll file used for that is probably corrupt. The default 'fax
viewer' is built in, but 'picture manager' is a common on for that (from Office.)

Office has "Detect and Repair" in the Change feature off the Office Add/Remove entry.

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

!