Vectrex OK but no sound?

madcow

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I have a Vectrex that works perfectly except there is no sound. There
is not even the common buzzz or static when adjusting the volume. No
sound at all.

I peeked to see if the wiring fell off the speaker but it looks OK.
What else can I look for?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I don't know about the sound, but the centering is easy on your other
unit, if that's the only problem. You just have to adjust the
centering magnets on the yoke. Open the back and there are two tabs on
the yoke, which should be glued down right now. Gently work them loose
to adjust X and Y centering. If you don't have the test cart, just
use something with a static image in the center (I used Solar Quest).
There are also X and Y size and alignment pots on the boards, but I
can't remember just where they are. This is all explained in detail in
the service manual, downloadable at I can't remember where. I assume
all the usual caveats about working on monitors apply. Also, it
shouldn't be that hard to switch cases, although I haven't tried it.
Good luck.

"MadCow" <madcow@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vectrex that works perfectly except there is no sound. There
> is not even the common buzzz or static when adjusting the volume. No
> sound at all.
>
> I peeked to see if the wiring fell off the speaker but it looks OK.
> What else can I look for?

I too have this same problem on a Vectrex I picked up last year. It
works perfectly, but there is no sound. I'd like to get the sound working
as the screen is perfectly centered (unlike my other unit), and is in better
cosmetic condition. I peaked inside too and saw nothing wrong.

Aaron

"Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote in message

> I too have this same problem on a Vectrex I picked up last year. It
> works perfectly, but there is no sound. I'd like to get the sound working
> as the screen is perfectly centered (unlike my other unit), and is in
better
> cosmetic condition. I peaked inside too and saw nothing wrong.

Once upon a time on this list a person complained about no sound... someone
had also complained of no pic... neither had seen the volume control or
brigtness control.

Now I KNOW this won't be the case with you good people... ;¬) But I have
no technical knowledge. :¬)

An old tip for reducing the buzz is to put some parcel tape over the speaker
grill... still hear sound fine but the buzz is almost eliminated.

cNp

On 3 Mar 2005 13:49:17 -0800, "MadCow" <madcow@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Vectrex that works perfectly except there is no sound. There
>is not even the common buzzz or static when adjusting the volume. No
>sound at all.
>
>I peeked to see if the wiring fell off the speaker but it looks OK.
>What else can I look for?

Two things, first the service diagram shows that on at least some (if
not all) vectrex systems that the speaker is connected to the main
board with a pin header. Please double check the J103 connector to
see it is on well.

The second idea is a bit more complex. In the repair manual IC103 is
listed as a National LM386. This is a low power audio amp. If you
have a scope, or an old set of headphones and I bit of skill you
should be able to see the un-amplified signal at R104 on the main
board. You can step foreword from there to make sure you still have a
signal at pin 3 of IC103. If you have a good signal there and +9v on
pin 6 then odds are you need to dig up $0.75 from some where and go
replace this IC. If this chip is not socketed on your Vectrex I would
recommend spending the extra money to add a socket as well.

Hope this helps both of you.
-Cecil

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:51:24 -0600, Cecil Casey <crcasey934@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 3 Mar 2005 13:49:17 -0800, "MadCow" <madcow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a Vectrex that works perfectly except there is no sound. There
>>is not even the common buzzz or static when adjusting the volume. No
>>sound at all.
>>
>>I peeked to see if the wiring fell off the speaker but it looks OK.
>>What else can I look for?
>

>Two things, first the service diagram shows that on at least some (if
>not all) vectrex systems that the speaker is connected to the main
>board with a pin header. Please double check the J103 connector to
>see it is on well.

I make one mistake here.... IC103 is sitting on the power board
according to the diagrams. So look for these parts on the power
board.

>The second idea is a bit more complex. In the repair manual IC103 is
>listed as a National LM386. This is a low power audio amp. If you
>have a scope, or an old set of headphones and I bit of skill you
>should be able to see the un-amplified signal at R104 on the

> !!!main board!!! <<<Mistake!!! This is on the power board.

> You can step foreword from there to make sure you still have a
>signal at pin 3 of IC103. If you have a good signal there and +9v on
>pin 6 then odds are you need to dig up $0.75 from some where and go
>replace this IC. If this chip is not socketed on your Vectrex I would
>recommend spending the extra money to add a socket as well.
>
>Hope this helps both of you.
>-Cecil

-Cecil