graphics card for older computer

Thundremech

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I've got a 533MHz celeron emachine. We've had some problems with it, such that reinstalling the OS seemed to be the best and easiest fix. We reinstalled windows 98, but not with the disk the computer originally came with. Consequently, windows can't seem to figure out how to use the higher color modes with the hardware. My guess is that we lack a certain driver. I'm also assuming that with the purchase of a graphics card for the computer, we can get past this little problem.
My question is what card should I buy? I don't supposed any newer cards would be any help, and I have no knowledge on the graphics cards that did come out for this generation of computers.

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.

G

Captain Obvious says a Celleron 533 is NOT a gaming machine, so it doesnt really matter. Some cheap Geforce2MX is sufficient!

Or you could visit the website of the Manufacturer of your Motherboard. Find the correct model and download the appropriate chipset and onboard video drivers!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Cap'n is rght about the GeForce2 MX being sufficient. heck even a TNT 2 should definitely do the trick. I'd get the GeForce 2 MX becasue it allows you to use twinview to have two monitors or video output devices to be plugged into the smae graphics card.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I think it is very likely that you have the i810 chipset with integrated intel graphics as I know that was the setup that came with my parents' emachines 750 P3. Anyway, if Im right you can download the drivers from intel's website or if you were to upgrade to windows 2000 you wouldnt need to install the drivers, it has them built in already.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

RandalFlagg

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
i have a fx5200 card it has direx x 9 pixlshaders and plays everygame in hi details. look at the gainward cards thats what i have and i can run all the demos.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a GeForce2 MX400

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

cleeve

Illustrious
First of all, find out if your case has an AGP slot for a video card. If it only has PCI slots, that will certainly limit your choices.

Stay away from the GeforceFX 5200.

Buy yourself a cheap Radeon 8500/9000/9100/9200... it doesn't matter which one, just get yourslelf the cheapest one you can find. You can get them very cheap if they're not PRO versions.

Then at least you can fool around with DirectX 8 stuff.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529