After Windows XP Home reinstall: unexpected residual data...

This was a two year old install of Windows XP Home on a homebuilt
machine. XP performance had started to drop, and eventually was
unacceptable during routine activities such as copy/paste, drag/drop,
clearing recently viewed files, etc.

All of my user data was backed up to an external hard drive, and I
selected an install with formatting. I was prepared for --and expected--
all of my previous user data/application information and other
environmental variables to be gone after the XP reinstall.

The reinstall went fine, performance is excellent, new user profiles
were created and all of my applications were reloaded.

But:
There was a large portion of my hard drive space that contained residual
data from my previous install. I have mostly been able to delete these
manually. This has reclaimed most of the disk space.

Under My Computer, only the Users created after the reinstall appear.

Under the path C:\Documents and Settings\ there are residudal
directories from the originial install\user profiles. The created date
is the two year old date of the orginal install.

One of these profiles has been persistent: any attempt to delete it is
rejected. The error message is related to "ARPPRODUCTICON.exe" file in
use/write protected. I know this is related to the add/remove programs
function, but not sure why this profle is the only one it affected.

Bottom line:
-The new install is running great with the new user profiles, and most
of my disk space is reclaimed, so the resdidual data/user information is
mostly an annoyance.

Two questions:

-Did I select an incorrect option at some point early in the XP
reinstall that resulted in the hard drive contents and previous intsall
not being complelty wiped?

-Is there anyway to complete the removal of the residual data from the
original install (or is it even with the effort since the new install is
running fine) ??

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about after windows home reinstall unexpected residual data

    Hi DL,

    > -Did I select an incorrect option at some point early in the XP reinstall
    > that resulted in the hard drive contents and previous intsall not being
    > complelty wiped?

    Yes, the only way to reliably do this is to remove the existing system
    partition during the initial stages of setup, then create a new one from the
    free space. Only then should you format and proceed with installation. Not
    doing so leaves directories and files intact, only the system's immediate
    folders are overwritten with new ones.

    > -Is there anyway to complete the removal of the residual data from the
    > original install (or is it even with the effort since the new install is
    > running fine) ??

    Try doing it in Safe mode. How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi DL,
    >

    >>-Did I select an incorrect option at some point early in the XP reinstall
    >>that resulted in the hard drive contents and previous intsall not being
    >>complelty wiped?
    >

    > Yes, the only way to reliably do this is to remove the existing system
    > partition during the initial stages of setup, then create a new one from the
    > free space. Only then should you format and proceed with installation. Not
    > doing so leaves directories and files intact, only the system's immediate
    > folders are overwritten with new ones.
    >

    >>-Is there anyway to complete the removal of the residual data from the
    >>original install (or is it even with the effort since the new install is
    >>running fine) ??
    >

    > Try doing it in Safe mode. How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Thanks. Even in safe mode, I still bumped up against the
    "ARPPRODUCTICON.exe" isuse when trying to delete the legacy directories.

    I thought I had selected the appropriate option for removal/formatting
    during the reinstall. Given that the "new" user profiles are present
    only if I explore throught the C drive, that the OS is snappy and smart
    again, and that the impacts on disk space from what I wasn't able to
    delete are minimal...I'll let it ride. And when it comes time for the
    next reinstall...it will clearly be time for Longhorn and a shiny new
    hard disk:-)

Windows XP External Hard Drive