8400 SATA Issue?

I am running Backup MyPC on my new 8400 which contains 3 sata drives. I have
a lot of experience with ATA drives but this is my first experience with
SATA drives. The program writes the backup file, marks the files as
archived, and then hangs at some point during the verify stage while backing
up the c: drive to the d: drive. After scanning the d: drive and not finding
bad sectors, I reran the backup and had the same results. The second time
it hung while verifying a different file.

The program works fine when I backup of the c: drive to the e: drive.

The d: and e: drives are the same make and model.

c: drive is connected to serial0 on motherboard
d: drive is connected to serial1 on motherboard
e: drive is connected to serial2 on motherboard

I'll probably try the backup again with the d: drive connected to serial3.

Any ideas?

Is there anything in the bios settings I should be aware of or change?

Is this a known chipset bug?

Thanks, Bob

"Bob Churchill" <xyz@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I am running Backup MyPC on my new 8400 which contains 3 sata drives. I
>have
> a lot of experience with ATA drives but this is my first experience with
> SATA drives. The program writes the backup file, marks the files as
> archived, and then hangs at some point during the verify stage while
> backing
> up the c: drive to the d: drive. After scanning the d: drive and not
> finding
> bad sectors, I reran the backup and had the same results. The second time
> it hung while verifying a different file.
>
> The program works fine when I backup of the c: drive to the e: drive.
>
> The d: and e: drives are the same make and model.
>
> c: drive is connected to serial0 on motherboard
> d: drive is connected to serial1 on motherboard
> e: drive is connected to serial2 on motherboard
>
> I'll probably try the backup again with the d: drive connected to serial3.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is there anything in the bios settings I should be aware of or change?
>
> Is this a known chipset bug?
>
> Thanks, Bob

I'm not sure why d: wouldn't be fully functional. That is a head scratcher.

I do, however, know that the default factory channels for your SATA drives
are serial0 and serial2. It's my understanding that serial1 and 3 are
intended for future SATA opticals (or one would assume additional hard disks
as in your case).

From your post, I gather that you've run mfr. diagnostics on drive d: ?

If you can, swap the (blue) SATA cables on drives d: and e: and see if you
have a bad cable.

Stew

I had the drives connections mixed up.

serial0 => serial1 works fine
serial0 => serial2 hangs

Let me know if you have any ideas.

>I had the drives connections mixed up.
>
> serial0 => serial1 works fine
> serial0 => serial2 hangs
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas.
>
> Thanks, Bob

Does that remain consistent even after the SATA cables are swapped?

In effect, can you pin down the SATA2 mb controller as the problem (even
with a different drive and/or cable).

Keep notes.

Stew

what antivirus software are you using? do you have the same problem when
the antivirus software is disabled?
another possible cause is the use of the compression option in the job
definition; they say don't use it.
here is the knowledgebase for the product... just 13 articles so just select
'backupmypc' and then 'go' to see them all.
http://support.sonic.com/kb/default.asp?type=professional&product=bump