Sign in with
Your question

Utilties and must have software

Last response: in Windows 7
June 18, 2010 2:54:11 PM

Hey guys, I finished building out a new desktop for my home computer, a nice core-7 930 beast. I'm very happy this puppy but being an old mac user I'm at a bit of a loss for what utilities I may need.

I have some on my shortlist but any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I'm considering.
Backup: Norton 360
Antivirus/security Norton 360
defrag - either norton utilities or disk keeper
snagit for screen printing
beyond compare
drop box (already have it on my mac ;)  )
ultraedit

Anyways I've been out of the windows market for so long, I'm not sure if my software list is accurate/relevant and/or advisable at least with regard to the first few lines. I use snagit, beyond compare and ultraedit at work and dropbox on my other computers

One thing I do seem to miss is the one touch everything is setup for you on Macs, but then that's why I moved away. Less options for customizations and less software.

Given the Mac had a backup program called time machine that automated the backups, I'm interested in something similar because I like to backup to multiple external drives.

Thanks in advance
Mike

More about : utilties software

June 18, 2010 5:25:19 PM

Which 32/64 bit OS do you have?
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:15:17 PM

win7 64bit
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2010 6:18:17 PM

Norton is a big resource hog. You can download Microsoft security essential for free, but if you're going to buy a security suite I would go with bit-defender.
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:45:52 PM

I have had the best success with avast for close to a decade now. i have yet to approve of a norton install, a huge and a conflict in other apps when witness computer problem out in the field. bitdefender is great stuff.. myself i been using commodo and been very happy with it.
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:50:54 PM

I've been reading reviews regarding norton, both for the utilities, i.e., defrag and also for the antivrus. I believe Megamanx00 is correct with his resource hog assessment.

It seems the people posting reviews on amazon, are complaining about norton 360, at least with win7

I have MS security essentials loaded on now, because I cannot connect to my company w/o an antivirus application but I was looking to see what alternatives there are
m
l
a c 421 $ Windows 7
June 18, 2010 8:00:13 PM

Norton 360 is not that great!
m
l
June 18, 2010 8:42:24 PM

Thanks, I'm very happy with it. Much faster then my core2duo laptop I've had for the last two years :) 
m
l
June 18, 2010 9:53:14 PM

install a SSD drive... then ur goin to be really happy!!
m
l
June 18, 2010 11:53:05 PM

If I had the $$$ I would but right now the cost per gigabyte is prohibitive. I'll wait until the prices come down out of the stratosphere.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 1:41:10 AM

megamanx00 said:
Norton is a big resource hog. You can download Microsoft security essential for free, but if you're going to buy a security suite I would go with bit-defender.

The latest version of Norton 360 is not a big resource hog. Stop living in 2006. Symantec has cleaned up their act across the board with the product's resource usage. Some are better than others, but it's not nearly as hungry as it was a few years ago.

That being said, I think there are better programs out there, but if you're still loyal to Symantec, Norton 360 is not as bad of a choice as some people may believe.
m
l
!