PCI V-card for dual monitors

KhanAlf

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
I recently purchased a Dell LCD and use it now as my main monitor. My older crt monitor is a Viewsonic ef95 (something to that effect) and I would like to use that as a second monitor. It seems since I opted for the aiw, my main card doesn't offer dual dvi support so I will need to get a pci card powered by ATI. I assume I need to go ati powered due to driver issues, but I am not familiar with which card will be a suitable partner. My crt will be mainly used for web browsing, IM progams and minimal 3d graphics functionality; no need for fancy detailing. Here are my questions:

1. 64 or 128 megs?
2. I will have to go with an Ati or Ati powered card? If I go with an nvidia, will there be driver issues or can I use my old nvidia card there?
3. Any specific model recommendations? Ati 9000? 9500?
4. Are there any issues I need to be aware of? Direct x9.0 compatibility issues perhaps? I am using the latest Cat 3.7 drivers but will the secondary vid card need any special considerations?
5. I assume that this is as easy as putting the 2nd card into the pci slot, plugging in the monitor and bada-bing? Are there other steps involved?

Thanks for your input in advance =)

-------------------------
-Asus A7N8X
-AMD Athalon 2700+
-1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 400 DDR
-ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
-Dell 1800 UltraSharp lcd
-Win XP Home
-Enermax 420 p/s

KhanAlf

cleeve

Illustrious
1. If you don't plan to play games, 64 megs is fine. hell, if you're not playing games, 32 megs will be great.

2. You can go with whatever you want. Ati drivers remove nicely, it's the Nvidia detonator drivers that have a rep of taking over a system.

3. If you're not playing games or using professional 3d programs, the cheapo Radeon 7xxx series should be just fine, as long as you get one with dual outs. Make sure the one you get has dual VGA outputs.
For dabbling in gaming go for an 8500/9000/9100/9200 card, the cheapest you can find.
For more serious gaming look for the 9600 PRO or 9700/9800

4. he only thing you want to get is decent display quality, the Ati cards will give you that as a rule.

5. Yep, easy as heck.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
curious... why would he have to get a card with dual out?

he has the 9700aiw, getting a dual for a pci slot...wouldn't that provide 3 monitors? im confused...

I think i'll be getting a LCD some time soon but my card has the two prots i need. so im ok... but a 3rd monitor is intreging.

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.

KhanAlf

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
The 9700 Pro AIW has dvi and s-video out only but no official support for a 2nd monitor.

So, if I do get a 7000, will I have to run a different driver on the 2nd monitor? Or if I went nVidia, which driver will I have installed, the Cat 3.7 or the nVidia ?
Will there be two seperate drivers, one for each monitor or just one driver for both displays?

KhanAlf

cleeve

Illustrious
With a dual-monitor card, one driver handles boith outputs, and will give you options to cutomize both.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

KhanAlf

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
Ah yes, a dual monitor card will; however, in this case it will be two video cards (one for agp and other in pci slot) linked to two monitors. I am wondering if I will be running TWO distinct drivers simultaneously and if so, will there be driver conflicts? I mean, can a nVidia and cat driver both run at the same time?

KhanAlf

cleeve

Illustrious
Hmmm. Damn good question. I don't know, but I bet you'd have some problems.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

TRENDING THREADS