Can not register WinXP home on new computer

I brought a new computer and wanted to install WinXP from my old computer to
my new one but registeration fail. since WinXP can only install on "one"
computer only. What can i do to inorder to register my WinXP home edition on
the new computer.

Pls pls help.

jesse

leung_jesse@hotmail.com

Jesse wrote:
> I brought a new computer and wanted to install WinXP from my old computer to
> my new one but registeration fail. since WinXP can only install on "one"
> computer only. What can i do to inorder to register my WinXP home edition on
> the new computer.
>
> Pls pls help.
>
> jesse
>
> leung_jesse@hotmail.com

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then
install it onto the new computer. If it's been more than 120 days since
you last activated that specific Product Key, the new owner will most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, he/she might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You'll need to go out and purchase a new copy of Windows XP
and install it on your new computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Jesse wrote:
> I brought a new computer and wanted to install WinXP from my old
> computer to my new one but registeration fail. since WinXP can only
> install on "one" computer only. What can i do to inorder to register
> my WinXP home edition on the new computer.

Registration is optional. Activation is necessary.

The copy on your old computer.. Was it Retail (bought from a retail store in
a nice box) or was it OEM?
OEM - then you technically cannot "transfer" the license. You should buy a
new copy of XP.

Otherwise - have you tried to to install it and activate it and what error
do you get? Have you tried to activate by phone?

--
<- Shenan ->