Show ".lnk" on shortcuts in explorer

No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except Type=Shortcut), so I
found and implemented a registry edit to always display the ".lnk." Worked
fine, too. But having second thoughts, as now all the shortcuts on my
desktop include .lnk and renaming them does irreparable damage.

Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe eldergeek.com. Does
anyone have a lead on this?

Thanks,

rs

tcebob wrote:
> No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except
> Type=Shortcut), so I found and implemented a registry edit to always
> display the ".lnk." Worked fine, too. But having second thoughts, as
> now all the shortcuts on my desktop include .lnk and renaming them
> does irreparable damage.
>
> Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe
> eldergeek.com. Does anyone have a lead on this?

So.. Why not just use the "shortcut Arrow" to distinguish a .LNK from any
other file? You could use TweakUI (or a registry entry) to use a "light
arrow" or design of your choice instead of none or the more intrusive BOLD
shortcut arrow..

--
<- Shenan ->

Well, you're entirely correct. And I'm sorry I got myself into this. But I
didn't know how to restore the default condition. However, I found it and
all is well again.

rs

: tcebob wrote:
: > No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except
: > Type=Shortcut), so I found and implemented a registry edit to always
: > display the ".lnk." Worked fine, too. But having second thoughts, as
: > now all the shortcuts on my desktop include .lnk and renaming them
: > does irreparable damage.
: >
:
: So.. Why not just use the "shortcut Arrow" to distinguish a .LNK from any
: other file? You could use TweakUI (or a registry entry) to use a "light
: arrow" or design of your choice instead of none or the more intrusive BOLD
: shortcut arrow..
:
: --
: <- Shenan ->
: --
: The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
: yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
: responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
: getting into before you jump in with both feet.
:
:

tcebob wrote:
> Well, you're entirely correct. And I'm sorry I got myself into this.
> But I didn't know how to restore the default condition. However, I
> found it and all is well again.

I saw..
http://www.regxplor.com/tweak3.html

--
<- Shenan ->

"tcebob" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except Type=Shortcut), so I
>found and implemented a registry edit to always display the ".lnk." Worked
>fine, too. But having second thoughts, as now all the shortcuts on my
>desktop include .lnk and renaming them does irreparable damage.
>
>Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe eldergeek.com. Does
>anyone have a lead on this?

You posted the identical question in another newsgroup. Please
don't do this: separate threads such As you created just waste
everyone's time.

If your question actually belongs in multiple newsgroups, please
crosspost it and then there will be only one thread.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Oh, Stan, Stan; you caught me. Now if you go back to .customize and reread
the post you will see that I began with an apology about that very thing. I
myself have chided many a newbie for that venal sin. Imagine the
self-loathing that gripped my heart as I willfully transgressed beyond the
pale of poster courtesy. But I was driven by a force greater than even my
monster superego. No sooner had I posted to this splendid group than I
discovered the .customize group and realized -- too late -- that it was to
there that I should have posted, it being a question of customization.

The few short years remaining to me will be burdened in the guilty shame of
today's events. But at least one thing tempers the flame on my cheeks:
..customization yielded up an answer first. Anando came through at 1:18 PM --
only 33 minutes after my post there. Here at .help_and_support the
redoubtable Shenan Stanley patiently answered twice.

So here's the nut: Even though we who seek help sometimes slip up, these
groups always respond with avuncular kindness and accurate advice. It's like
going to two priests: I am twice blessed.

As to cross-posting: I've been hanging around microsoft.public and
autodesk.whatever for quite a while and until now knew nothing of this
technique. By gosh, it sounds great! I can't wait to come up with a good
cross question.

rs

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
[...]
: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
:
:
: --
:
: Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
: http://OakRoadSystems.com/