Crap ATI card problems, HELP!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<pre>This is a sample of the type of question I'm seeing far too much of in here</pre><p><b>I just put a Radeon 9800 Pro in my system. It doesn't boot. The screen is black. My friend told me that it's because ATI makes junk. I never had this problem with my GeForce2 MX.</b>

<pre>What I didn't tell you is that this is a new computer.
I put every single standoff I could find in every single hole, because I figured if a hole is there, it must be used!
I hooked all the drive cables backwards because I had an unkeyed floppy drive with a keyed cable, and I thought the IDE cables would go the same way.
I'm using an old Dell power supply that I don't know is proprietary to an old Dell PIII board.
If you tell me to use a better power supply, I'll pull out my old 300W generic unit that doesn't even have an ATX12v connector, and blame you when it doesn't work.
I didn't connect the power cable to the card.
I'm using 4 generic PC2100 modules on a new 875 board with 800 bus P4.
None of them are inserted all the way.
All my drives are set as masters.
My board came with the CLR_CMOS jumper on and a warning to move it, but I didn't pay attention.
My power switch is connected to the PWR_LED pins because I didn't know what LED stoof for, and PWR means power, right?
I plugged the CPU fan into the Chassis fan header because it was closer.
My slots are filled with a modem, soundcard, LAN card, TV-Tuner card, IDE card, and second video card, all of which are bus mastering.
Now I expect a whole bunch of guys to fix this video card problem and will continue to ignore any advice which doesn't involve the video card.
If you do sort my problems out, I'll be pissed off at you because my PC boots up to a "no OS found" error</pre><p><font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Some of us have 15" monitors and use 1024x768. I can't see the text. :/

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7000747" target="_new"> 3D-2001 </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1284380" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

LOL! :lol:

Love the font. I wanna make it trail off into oblivion......

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yep, that's the kind of stuff you can definately expect from raw uninformed n00bs. However, I can't blame them for their lack of knowledge. Most people don't care to learn about hardware like the rest of us, nor usually have as much need to.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i know a person in my school that just goes to futureshop and gets the most expensive thing there.

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5950ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
waiting for aBox~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If he lives in the OTTAWA/HULL area, maybe you can hook him up with EDEN and help him make some serious coin off the punk next summer. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
he's in BC :D too bad

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5950ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
waiting for aBox~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~