new to group. need advice on repairing my vectrex!!!!

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

hi all.
i have owned a vectrex for as long as i can remember more than 20 years
anyway, but a few years ago mine has kinda gave up on me. i do not know
the first thing about fixing objects like these and would be greatfull if
someone out there could point me in the right direction.

basically what happens when i turn on the vectrex the vectrex logo appears
as normal but at the point where mine storm would usually kick in it seems
to "crash" and collapse into a tiny dot randomly on the screen. also the
sound has gone all weird too.

does anyone know someone who can repair these systems or is it time the
poor thing was thrown on the junk pile?
any help would be apperciated :)
Simon, England

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hmm...
I never actually repaired a Vectrex, but if the openning screen and
sound appear normal, that indicates that the audio and video circuitry
is fine.

Sounds like ROM chip might have got corrupted somehow. Or possibly the
microprocessor (goes crazy when it hits certain address).

There should be people on this group who are familliar with
troubleshooting this (well, more than me that is...)

Peteski

Peter W. wrote:
> Hmm...
> I never actually repaired a Vectrex, but if the openning screen and
> sound appear normal, that indicates that the audio and video circuitry
> is fine.

I'm not a hardware person but I agree with this. The usual symptons of
defective video hardware show up in the opening screen.

> Sounds like ROM chip might have got corrupted somehow. Or possibly the
> microprocessor (goes crazy when it hits certain address).

Or maybe the RAM?

Good luck anyway with your Vectrex!
(And always nice to hear from another owner in England)

Regards
Roberto/.