Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Rebooting/Freezing During Startup

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:45:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right group to post this in but anyway...

About a week or two ago my computer suddenly developed a problem out of
nowhere. As a brief introduction I connect to the internet through a Linksys
wireless USB adaptor which connects on startup.

Occasionally when my computer is starting up it will make a connection and
then suddenly reboot. Once it's started up again it brings up the message
saying my machine has suffered a critical error, sends the report etc. and I
get a page saying that it's a device driver error. Now given when it occurs
it would seem logical that the problem is with my adaptor drivers but prior
to this problem first occuring I made no change to the drivers so it would
seem a little strange that the driver would suddenly become corrupt out of
nowhere.

I've tried updating the driver following this but once I did it didn't work
at all so I had to roll back to the previous one which had previously worked
flawlessly.

I've had another problem happen during startup which I can't help but think
is somehow connected. When it's connecting and Messenger is trying to log on
my start menu/toolbar will freeze and I won't be able to open anything on my
desktop (Though I can open Task Manager with Ctl+Alt+Del). When I try to
restart my machine through Task Manager it won't work so I have to physically
turn my machine off.

More about : rebooting freezing startup

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:41:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

First, make sure it is actually what you think it is, try booting without
the adapter attached.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Finlayson" <Ian Finlayson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B1F228F8-EEEB-4B40-AF59-0B3B4D3C5EB5@microsoft.com...
> I'm not entirely sure if this is the right group to post this in but
> anyway...
>
> About a week or two ago my computer suddenly developed a problem out of
> nowhere. As a brief introduction I connect to the internet through a
> Linksys
> wireless USB adaptor which connects on startup.
>
> Occasionally when my computer is starting up it will make a connection and
> then suddenly reboot. Once it's started up again it brings up the message
> saying my machine has suffered a critical error, sends the report etc. and
> I
> get a page saying that it's a device driver error. Now given when it
> occurs
> it would seem logical that the problem is with my adaptor drivers but
> prior
> to this problem first occuring I made no change to the drivers so it would
> seem a little strange that the driver would suddenly become corrupt out of
> nowhere.
>
> I've tried updating the driver following this but once I did it didn't
> work
> at all so I had to roll back to the previous one which had previously
> worked
> flawlessly.
>
> I've had another problem happen during startup which I can't help but
> think
> is somehow connected. When it's connecting and Messenger is trying to log
> on
> my start menu/toolbar will freeze and I won't be able to open anything on
> my
> desktop (Though I can open Task Manager with Ctl+Alt+Del). When I try to
> restart my machine through Task Manager it won't work so I have to
> physically
> turn my machine off.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:21:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, make sure it is actually what you think it is, try booting without
> the adapter attached.
>

I will give that a try but I won't know for sure if that was what's
causing the problem. Like I said the problem occassionally happens so if
I unplug it and it works fine I don't know if that's because the problem
has been removed or just that it's one of those times it doesn't happen.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:21:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Isolating a problematic component is a lengthy process, but if you really
want to resolve it....

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Finlayson" <ian.finlayson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o 2k%d.92349$ug2.89597@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, make sure it is actually what you think it is, try booting without
>> the adapter attached.
>>
>
> I will give that a try but I won't know for sure if that was what's
> causing the problem. Like I said the problem occassionally happens so if I
> unplug it and it works fine I don't know if that's because the problem has
> been removed or just that it's one of those times it doesn't happen.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:36:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Isolating a problematic component is a lengthy process, but if you really
> want to resolve it....
>

I've turned off Automatic restart so it won't happen again (blue screen
instead), but is there any way to see a log that was created last time
it happened?
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:36:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Did it create a dump (dmp) file? If so, we may be able to analyze that.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Finlayson" <ian.finlayson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ihk%d.92469$ug2.75609@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Isolating a problematic component is a lengthy process, but if you really
>> want to resolve it....
>>
>
> I've turned off Automatic restart so it won't happen again (blue screen
> instead), but is there any way to see a log that was created last time it
> happened?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:46:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did it create a dump (dmp) file? If so, we may be able to analyze that.
>

Where would it be if it did create one?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:46:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Depends on the type of dump the system is set for. This you will find in the
Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click on startup and recovery settings,
then look at the recovery options.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Finlayson" <ian.finlayson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4bm%d.98869$y25.69065@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did it create a dump (dmp) file? If so, we may be able to analyze that.
>>
>
> Where would it be if it did create one?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 4:49:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Depends on the type of dump the system is set for. This you will find in the
> Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click on startup and recovery settings,
> then look at the recovery options.
>

I found the folder they were in, the dumps were set to "Small Memory
Dump (64k)"

How can I view it? I tried with Notepad and ended up with a lot of
indecipherable code.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:13:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Ian,

You have to use debugging tools and a symbol library to do it. Send me the
most recent one via email (the address used here is valid, but change the
subject line to "per req" to get past the filters or I will never see it).
Please do not attach it to a post here.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Finlayson" <ian.finlayson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:WKp%d.101407$y25.22809@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Depends on the type of dump the system is set for. This you will find in
>> the Control Panel/System/Advanced tab, click on startup and recovery
>> settings, then look at the recovery options.
>>
>
> I found the folder they were in, the dumps were set to "Small Memory Dump
> (64k)"
>
> How can I view it? I tried with Notepad and ended up with a lot of
> indecipherable code.
!