Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi,

Last night I took a break from my relentless (and seemingly fruitless!)
attempts at getting further in Minestorm and played this demo on my Vectrex.

It is really sweet. Ok, it's cheesy too, but in the best possible way.
Sweet cheese. (Dolcelatte?!) I was really surprised at the ending, not
something I can say often when playing a game of any sort.

A note to Dan (I assume that's the author's name, given the message!):
please use this as basis of a Donkey Kong port! You were really modest
about your demos (I'll try the other one properly soon) but Becky's
Message is a really good basis for the full game. It's even got
transition animations, how many of the original "proper" Vectrex games
had those... :)

Best regards
Roberto/.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yeah, I also have something to say to Dan. Maybe, if you can't finish
the project yourself, you might hand it over to Manu Parssinen or Ronen
Habot or somebody in that field. I wouldn't know... but I think one of
them would be willing to help you.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Roberto,

Thanks for the very kind words.

Yes, it is embarrassingly cheesy, but then my wife had to endure many lonely
hours of watching me learn 6809 ML as well as try to figure out the strange
world of the Vec bios.

Cheesy helps but was it worth having to watch a month's worth of chick
flicks in return for lost time? Tough call.

It was a satisfying experience but it did take way too long to finish. I
have never coded a game before and I have learned that I should leave it to
the pros. I'm sure that Manu, Ronen (cool name by the way) and John D would
be able to code something much better in their sleep.

Dan

"Roberto Nerici" <rn@bloggo.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Last night I took a break from my relentless (and seemingly fruitless!)
> attempts at getting further in Minestorm and played this demo on my
> Vectrex.
>
> It is really sweet. Ok, it's cheesy too, but in the best possible way.
> Sweet cheese. (Dolcelatte?!) I was really surprised at the ending, not
> something I can say often when playing a game of any sort.
>
> A note to Dan (I assume that's the author's name, given the message!):
> please use this as basis of a Donkey Kong port! You were really modest
> about your demos (I'll try the other one properly soon) but Becky's
> Message is a really good basis for the full game. It's even got transition
> animations, how many of the original "proper" Vectrex games had those...
> :)
>
> Best regards
> Roberto/.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi Dan,

> Thanks for the very kind words.

You're welcome!

> Yes, it is embarrassingly cheesy, but then my wife had to endure many lonely
> hours of watching me learn 6809 ML as well as try to figure out the strange
> world of the Vec bios.

I didn't say it was _embarrassingly_ cheesy.
Endearingly cheesy might be more accurate.

> Cheesy helps but was it worth having to watch a month's worth of chick
> flicks in return for lost time? Tough call.

LOL!

> It was a satisfying experience but it did take way too long to finish. I
> have never coded a game before and I have learned that I should leave it to
> the pros. I'm sure that Manu, Ronen (cool name by the way) and John D would
> be able to code something much better in their sleep.

Look at this way, you're probably already in the list of top 100 all
time Vectrex programmers :)

I was just thinking (hoping?) that having made a good start, if you get
a small bit of spare time you could add a little bit more to it and make
a new version available. And if one day after that you get a bit more
time you could add a little bit more again, and so on. That's all.

Anyway, thanks for the demos as they are. I enjoyed them!

Best regards
Roberto/.