Weird Mouse Action

Using MS Optical Mouse with XP Pro SP2 (with all critical updates) for
some five or so months. No problems until two days ago when I started
to experience momentary blank screens when moving the mouse. At the
same time the MS keyboard NumLock and F Lock keys light go out. Moving
the mouse again restores the screen I had been using. Same thing
happens when I click.

I have tried rebooting, and shutting down and waiting, but that has no
affect. Also ran deep AV routine without finding anything (TrendMicro
AV with latest updates).

This is really screwing me up and I don't have a clue as to what to do.

Any suggestions?

I should mention that I did change the mouse default for the left and
right buttons since I switched to left hand use. But with the problem
that appeared after doing that (which I don't believe has anything to do
with the problem) I have gone back to the defaults, but that doesn't fix
it.

It's not the mouse, it's the keyboard chip failing. (not too uncommon)

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> It's not the mouse, it's the keyboard chip failing. (not too uncommon)

Thanks for your reply. I changed out the KB but the condition
continued. You got me to thinking.

I have a 98se computer cable-networked with my XP sysem, using an IOGear
KVM device. I disconnected it and hooked all up to the XP system -- and
BINGO! -- problem gone.

The KVM is not a piece of junk and I'm surprised it went flaky on me.

Thanks again for rewiring my synapses!

Try going into the control panel, open the system folder, then click on
Device manager, then hit the plus side of mice and other pointing devices
and make sure that there are not more then one driver. If two, delete the
one you don't want, then update the one driver you do want. A last effort
would be to uninstall service pack 2.

Good Luck

http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm