AGP compatability

nick90

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
I've got an older mainboard with an AGP 1.0 slot, are any cards that are AGP 2.0 backward compatable with AGP 1.0 slots? Thanks Nick.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I'd have to know what motherboard you are running before we can proceed to find a vid card for you.

------
<b>I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TKS on 10/02/03 07:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I mispoke in my earlier post...please refer to it for the correction.

----------
<b>I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

nick90

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
My mainboard's an MS 6167 by MSI, its AGP is 1.0, 3.3v, I'm after a geforce2 ti or something similar that would be compatable.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
not all agp1.0 cards will work on an agp1.0-slotted mobo, just like in my experience. Where I'm using a AMD K6-2 Mobo (redfox), and originally has S3 trio pci 8mb, and i replaced it with a Nvidia TnT2 M64 32MB AGP4X, afterwards everytime windows is loaded, the mouse will suddenly freeze up and will hang (over and over) even if the graphics acceleration is disabled (in the display settings). And then i returned back the old s3 card and it works very fine again.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

nick90

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
Does anyone Know if an Asus V7700 Pro will work in my MS 6167 board? The tech spec of the card does'nt specify an AGP 2.0 slot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know for sure that ALL RADEONS except the 9600 series will work. The 9700's and 9800's will work. 9600 series is the only exception.

I know for sure that all GeForce4's and earlier will work. I've also heard from various sources that GeForce FX cards also work.

So the only card I know of that won't work is the Radeon 9600 series.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I think piii_man owns the same board.

And I know as a fact that ALL GeForce2 cards work in your board, including the V7700 Pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dunno

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Well the AGP2X itself won't be the limiting factor, since those transfer speeds only apply to when your using system memory for storing textures (and you absolutely do not want this to happen even if you have 8X). But considering his motherboard only supports 2X, then his whole system in general is probably very slow and outdated and that will certainly limit those cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't find any 3.3v signal support for the 9600 series. To top that off, a couple members have tried it and not even had their card FIT! Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030416/radeon_9600-01.html" target="_new">These Images</A> and notice the AGP 1.0 slot is even missing from the card!

My guess is it's because the .13 micron chip supports lower I/O voltages, and it would cost the companies more to work out signal amplification hardware.

At any rate, AGP2x isn't that bad, my Celeron 1100@1466 system ROCKED HARD using a Radeon DDR. And he's looking at the Asus V7700 Pro, which is a GeForce2 card, not impared by AGP2x. Further, AGP2x still has 100% more bandwidth than PCI, plus the other AGP benefits, and if you compare cards like the Radeon 9100 AGP to the Radeon 9100 PCI you only see a maximum 30% difference IIRC.

nick90

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
I've checked out the specs for the creative 3d blaster geforce2 gts and ti's, and the minimum system requirements state an AGP 2.0 slot. Does that mean these cards won't work on my board?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it means whoever wrote the documentation is stupid. I told you all GeForce2 cards will work in your board, you should listen to me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, then watch him have one of those odd boards with AGP current limits, or a weak power supply, and blame me because even though it was compatable with his chipset, his system didn't have the power for it...