Using Vonage and Microsoft broadband router

I've been using the Microsoft wireless broadband for a
few years now. Recently, I purchased Vongage. They sent
me a Linksys Broadband router, model #RT31P2. This
router does not have wireless capability. I tried the
following scenario to incorporate the Linksys into my
home network.

1. Powered down all appliances (PC, cable modem, etc).
2. Connected the Linksys router to the cable modem and
then to my desktop computer.
3. Configured the router.
4. Connected the Microsoft broadband to the Linksys.

I have full network access, including the Internet, on my
desktop machine. My laptops can see the network, they see
the desktop machine, but they won't connect to the
Internet.

Should the wireless router be plugged into the cable
modem first and then the Linksys plugged into that?

If I can't get this working, I'll have to cancel Vonage.
I need my wireless network.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Karen
2 answers Last reply
More about using vonage microsoft broadband router

    OK
    You will have to set up the base station in the bridging
    mode. Find the IP address range assigned by the Linksys
    router. The IP address range for the linksys may be
    differein than MS base stations. Connect the base station
    to your PC using an ethernet cable. Disconnect it from
    the other router. Then you can access it with
    http://192.168.2.1/login.htm

    To be able to set it up in the bridging mode follow the
    instructions in the link below. The instruction are about
    halfway down the page. The important item is assigning
    the base station its IP address. The address has to be in
    the range for the router to see it. Then you can still
    log on and manage the base station using its new address
    while it is bridging.
    After you get the base station setup, connect an Ethernet
    cable from the modem port on the base station to an open
    port on the linksys router.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert
    /bowman_segnet.mspx

    I called and asked that they send me a Linksys PAP2
    (http://tinyurl.com/6ojm8) VOIP box in place of the integrated
    VOIP/Router unit. They balked at first, suggesting that I simply buy
    one in a retail store instead. After complain that I already had
    distributed my number and would switch to Packet8 if I had to get a
    new router, they credited my account the $50 cost of the PAP2 and
    transferred my number. It works fine with my MN700.

    Mike

    "Karen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using the Microsoft wireless broadband for a
    > few years now. Recently, I purchased Vongage. They sent
    > me a Linksys Broadband router, model #RT31P2. This
    > router does not have wireless capability. I tried the
    > following scenario to incorporate the Linksys into my
    > home network.
    >
    > 1. Powered down all appliances (PC, cable modem, etc).
    > 2. Connected the Linksys router to the cable modem and
    > then to my desktop computer.
    > 3. Configured the router.
    > 4. Connected the Microsoft broadband to the Linksys.
    >
    > I have full network access, including the Internet, on my
    > desktop machine. My laptops can see the network, they see
    > the desktop machine, but they won't connect to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > Should the wireless router be plugged into the cable
    > modem first and then the Linksys plugged into that?
    >
    > If I can't get this working, I'll have to cancel Vonage.
    > I need my wireless network.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Karen

Routers Broadband Linksys Microsoft Networking