VECTREX GAMES BETTER THAN ARCADE?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Which Vectrex games in your opinion are actually better than there
arcade counter parts (if any)?

I have never played the arcade version of "Armor Attack", but the
Vectrex version is a humdinger and would be really hard to top, IMO..
29 answers Last reply
More about vectrex games arcade
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I used to love playing Armor Attack at the arcades.
    Armor Attack was the first game I purchased for the Vectrex back in the
    early 80's. It is a good port but not as good as the original
    I think that Mine Storm beats Asteroids hands down.
    Also, Scramble is just as good as the arcade version in my opinion.

    Dan

    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Which Vectrex games in your opinion are actually better than there
    > arcade counter parts (if any)?
    >
    > I have never played the arcade version of "Armor Attack", but the
    > Vectrex version is a humdinger and would be really hard to top, IMO..

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Check out John D's Patriots, it's a really fine version of Missile Command.

    Infact, he's done quite a few really good versions of arcade games -

    www.classicgamecreations.com

    (my faves are Birds of Prey & Rockaroids Remix)

    Richard H.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Richard,

    It goes without say that John D. is the Vec game programming Master.
    I thought we were talking about the original Vec games, not the new ones.
    I have not played Protector (EBAY prices are just crazy) but my favorite of
    the newer games is definately J.D.'s port of missile command.

    Dan

    "Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Check out John D's Patriots, it's a really fine version of Missile
    > Command.
    >
    > Infact, he's done quite a few really good versions of arcade games -
    >

    > www.classicgamecreations.com
    >
    > (my faves are Birds of Prey & Rockaroids Remix)
    >

    > Richard H.

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I think it's ironic that the three non-Cinematronics ports to the
    vectrex (Pole Position . Berzerk, and Scramble) were all originally
    non-vector games -- and their ports are more faithful in gameplay than
    the 'real' vector game ports.

    Minestorm is probably the best pack-in I can think of until the
    playstation era (Ridge Racer). Minestorm 3D takes the game to a whole
    new level, it's simply stunning in colour.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    "kokovec" <dsiewers@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Richard,
    >
    > It goes without say that John D. is the Vec game programming Master.
    > I thought we were talking about the original Vec games, not the new ones.
    > I have not played Protector (EBAY prices are just crazy) but my favorite
    > of the newer games is definately J.D.'s port of missile command.

    You have to play Protector, it is a great game and a great achievement in
    Vectrex programming and don't let eBay prices put you off....

    You can buy the non limited version, complete with YASI (excellent Space
    Invaders clone) for just $11.50 plus a little for shipping...

    http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

    Cheers
    Marc
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Here in rec.games.vectrex,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> spake unto us, saying:

    >I have never played the arcade version of "Armor Attack", but the
    >Vectrex version is a humdinger and would be really hard to top, IMO..

    The original Vectrex version has a buglet where one can accumulate an
    infinite number of points (effectively) by sitting in a spot where it's
    almost impossible for a copter to kill you.

    Other than that, it's a decent game.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    "kokovec" <dsiewers@socal.rr.com> wrote in

    > Richard,
    >
    > It goes without say that John D. is the Vec game programming Master.
    > I thought we were talking about the original Vec games, not the new
    > ones. I have not played Protector (EBAY prices are just crazy) but my
    > favorite of the newer games is definately J.D.'s port of missile
    > command.
    >
    > Dan

    Although I highly value the games by John D. and give him all the respect
    he deserves as a homebrew developer pioneer for the Vectrex, Alex
    Herbert is definately my programming hero for the Vectrex.

    Not only did he deliver the two best homebrew games (if not overall!)
    the already mentioned protector but also the excellent YASI. It's the only
    space invader clone I ever really liked on any platform.

    But also, correct me if I'm wrong here, developed the non-volatile memory
    option for the homebrew carts. And let's not forget his contributions to
    the excellent menu system on Richards Flashcards and the drivers for his
    voice related carts.

    He truly is an amazing programmer with appearantly real knowledgde of
    assembler which gives him the edge developing software of professional
    quality and polished finish which really puts him in a league of his own
    in the vectrex homebrew scene.

    I can't wait for him to turn back his attention to the Vectrex again after
    his 2600 adventures. If not, well, I'm completely satistied with the
    excellent contributions he's made so far.

    chapeau.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I agree. Alex cut his assembler teeth in the C64 hacking/demo scene
    where technical expertise, pizzaz and one-upmanship were the order of
    the day.

    I used to laugh at buddies of mine who were part of that scene back in
    the day, thinking that there could be no possible real-world use for
    their work, albiet brilliant.

    I was dead wrong. Most of them are some of the best pure assembler
    coders and optimizers nowadays, in a bloatware market where everyone
    who is a 'programmer' went to school for it or learned from 'dummies'
    books any of the newer OOP languages like C++ and Java.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >And let's not forget his contributions to
    >he excellent menu system on Richards Flashcards

    He did, I remember when I asked him to knock me up a quick Vec menu
    front-end for the cart, what came back was a real piece of art (with the
    animated letters, starfield etc).

    Alex does nothing by half, he's also the fastest coder I've ever known.

    Richard H.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    The Space Boss wrote:
    > Which Vectrex games in your opinion are actually better than there
    > arcade counter parts (if any)?

    Of the homebrews, I think John Dondzila's Gravitrex wins this hands
    down. I hated Gravitar. I love Gravitrex! This game doesn't get
    anywhere near the attention of Protector, which is a real shame because
    it's just as good (if not, slightly better). There's no overlay and no
    fancy box, so it's not as appealing to collectors. Theres's no
    hi-score save feature. There IS great game play, outstanding classic
    graphics, and goal-driven game play that keeps you coming back for
    more.

    George
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Hey All,
    I agree with Geofury. GRAVITREX is every bit as good as PROTECTOR, and
    if not better. When I first received my limited edition Protector I
    played it for many hours until I unlocked 'Spike Goes Down' but I have
    played Gravitrex for more hours then I have Protector.

    If n any of you guys out there haven' played GRAVITREX then you'tr
    missing something really unique. Gravitrex is even much better then the
    vector Commodore 64 game called Thrust. The great thing a about
    Gravitrex is that it is set at just the right difficulty level. I have
    only managed to reach the second world and I've put in may hours on it.

    When we mention homebrewing for the Vectrex it is a sin not to mention
    George Pelonis who has supported the Vectrex in the homebrewing
    department more than other programmers lately. I take my hat off to
    George for following up the excellent WAR OF THE ROBOTS with the
    equally excellent (and better in my opinion) I, CYBORG released late
    last year. Geofury pushed the Vec no-end with later levels of I, CYBORG
    and those who haven't seen past the 'corridors' should try and reach
    there for a pleasant surprise in the graphics and effects department.

    Here is a list of my top 5 Vec games:

    1.) Gravitrex
    2.) Protector
    3.) YASI
    4.) I, Cyborg
    5.) Minestorm

    Now I'm waiting for the Sony PSP to be released over here in Australia.
    Until then vector graphics are the coolest post-modern experience on
    the planet. Thanks homebrewers.

    Regards,

    Daniel Foot.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Nubian wrote:
    > When we mention homebrewing for the Vectrex it is a sin not to mention
    > George Pelonis who has supported the Vectrex in the homebrewing
    > department more than other programmers lately. I take my hat off to
    > George for following up the excellent WAR OF THE ROBOTS with the
    > equally excellent (and better in my opinion) I, CYBORG released late
    > last year. Geofury pushed the Vec no-end with later levels of I, CYBORG
    > and those who haven't seen past the 'corridors' should try and reach
    > there for a pleasant surprise in the graphics and effects department.

    Thanks very much! But in fairness, this topic is specifically about
    clones of arcade games. Mine are both original works.

    > Here is a list of my top 5 Vec games:
    >
    > 1.) Gravitrex
    > 2.) Protector
    > 3.) YASI
    > 4.) I, Cyborg
    > 5.) Minestorm

    Here are my top 5 Vec HOMEBREW games from other authors:

    1) Gravitrex
    2) Protector
    3) Patriots Remix
    4) Repulse
    5) Moon Lander

    George
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Here in rec.games.vectrex,
    "Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> spake unto us, saying:

    >If n any of you guys out there haven' played GRAVITREX then you'tr
    >missing something really unique.

    Wow.. Sounds like I'm falling way behind. I've been a Vectrex owner
    since 1982 and have a pair of Vectrex multicarts, but one of them is a
    very old Mark Woodward multcart, and the other is a newer Sean Kelly
    one that only had a few of John D's earlier games on it.

    I've not played ANY of this new stuff, even on an emulator! :-)

    Is there a multicart out there that covered the bases, or do I need to
    pick some of these new games up individually?

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    "Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote in news:1117952775.564191.194030
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Hey All,
    > I agree with Geofury. GRAVITREX is every bit as good as PROTECTOR, and
    > if not better. When I first received my limited edition Protector I
    > played it for many hours until I unlocked 'Spike Goes Down' but I have
    > played Gravitrex for more hours then I have Protector.
    >
    > If n any of you guys out there haven' played GRAVITREX then you'tr
    > missing something really unique. Gravitrex is even much better then the
    > vector Commodore 64 game called Thrust. The great thing a about
    > Gravitrex is that it is set at just the right difficulty level. I have
    > only managed to reach the second world and I've put in may hours on it.
    >
    > When we mention homebrewing for the Vectrex it is a sin not to mention
    > George Pelonis who has supported the Vectrex in the homebrewing
    > department more than other programmers lately. I take my hat off to
    > George for following up the excellent WAR OF THE ROBOTS with the
    > equally excellent (and better in my opinion) I, CYBORG released late
    > last year. Geofury pushed the Vec no-end with later levels of I, CYBORG
    > and those who haven't seen past the 'corridors' should try and reach
    > there for a pleasant surprise in the graphics and effects department.
    >
    > Here is a list of my top 5 Vec games:
    >
    > 1.) Gravitrex
    > 2.) Protector
    > 3.) YASI
    > 4.) I, Cyborg
    > 5.) Minestorm
    >
    > Now I'm waiting for the Sony PSP to be released over here in Australia.
    > Until then vector graphics are the coolest post-modern experience on
    > the planet. Thanks homebrewers.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Daniel Foot.

    I agree with Daniel!

    George wrote some excellent games, very original and challenging.
    In fact Daniel, thanks, you just inspired me to two things:

    give I, Cyborg more time, as I didn't make it through the corridors yet.

    and play Gravitrex, as for some reason, I never 'really' did.

    still envying you habitat,

    regards,

    Pepijn
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    > Although I highly value the games by John D. and give him all the respect
    > he deserves as a homebrew developer pioneer for the Vectrex, Alex
    > Herbert is definately my programming hero for the Vectrex.
    >
    > Not only did he deliver the two best homebrew games (if not overall!)
    > the already mentioned protector but also the excellent YASI. It's the only
    > space invader clone I ever really liked on any platform.

    Wow, thanks!

    > But also, correct me if I'm wrong here, developed the non-volatile memory
    > option for the homebrew carts.

    With a bit of help from Richard.

    > He truly is an amazing programmer with appearantly real knowledgde of
    > assembler which gives him the edge developing software of professional
    > quality and polished finish which really puts him in a league of his own
    > in the vectrex homebrew scene.

    I am a robot. LOL!

    > I can't wait for him to turn back his attention to the Vectrex again after
    > his 2600 adventures. If not, well, I'm completely satistied with the
    > excellent contributions he's made so far.

    VecLink Maze to be finished next...

    Alex
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >I agree. Alex cut his assembler teeth in the C64 hacking/demo scene
    > where technical expertise, pizzaz and one-upmanship were the order of
    > the day.

    Huh? No. Never got beyond poking around in BASIC on the 64. In fact I'd
    barely done any 6502 (just a bit of tinkering on a friend's BBC micro) until
    I started writing MGD on the Atari 2600. Atari ST (and Sinclair QL) is
    where I really got to grips with assembler. I was part of the Microdeal
    clan - had a couple of my early games published - nothing like the standard
    of my stuff these days. Not wanting to sound big headed or anything here -
    just that Goldrunner II really was a bit poo in places. I'm still rather
    fond of my Boulderdash clone called Stone Raider for the QL though. Shame
    my Microdrive cartridges are all knackered now and won't load any more. :¬(

    > I used to laugh at buddies of mine who were part of that scene back in
    > the day, thinking that there could be no possible real-world use for
    > their work, albiet brilliant.

    Fun stuff to work on, and very experimental - all part of the learning
    process.

    Alex
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    My bad for assuming you were from that scene. From the moment I played
    Protector/SGD it totally felt like something somebody in that clique
    would have done -- and that's a compliment! There's a certain
    insubstantial quality in how the final game comes together and plays
    that would take way too many man hours to duplicate if you wanted it to
    look/feel like something those 64 guys did. You nailed that esthetic
    spot on.

    Microdeal had it's hand in the Coco/Dragon market if I remember
    correctly (I definitely remember playing Time Bandit for hours).
    MIchtron also got their start there, as did Shadowsoft/Dave Dies. All
    of them 'graduated' to Amiga/ST.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    > Of the homebrews, I think John Dondzila's Gravitrex wins this hands
    > down. I hated Gravitar. I love Gravitrex! This game doesn't get
    > anywhere near the attention of Protector, which is a real shame because
    > it's just as good (if not, slightly better). There's no overlay and no
    > fancy box, so it's not as appealing to collectors. Theres's no
    > hi-score save feature. There IS great game play, outstanding classic
    > graphics, and goal-driven game play that keeps you coming back for
    > more.

    Hard to disagree with that. Gravitrex is a damn fine game! Patriots III on
    the same cart ain't half bad either.

    I also really like the Vectrex version of Thrust - never really keen the C64
    version.

    Alex
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >> Here is a list of my top 5 Vec games:
    >>
    >> 1.) Gravitrex
    >> 2.) Protector
    >> 3.) YASI
    >> 4.) I, Cyborg
    >> 5.) Minestorm
    >
    > Here are my top 5 Vec HOMEBREW games from other authors:
    >
    > 1) Gravitrex
    > 2) Protector
    > 3) Patriots Remix
    > 4) Repulse
    > 5) Moon Lander

    What, no Wormhole? That's one I keep coming back to.

    Alex
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    > Geofury pushed the Vec no-end with later levels of I, CYBORG
    > and those who haven't seen past the 'corridors' should try and reach
    > there for a pleasant surprise in the graphics and effects department.

    Which reminds me, I still don't have a copy of that. Is it still available?

    Alex
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >Atari ST (and Sinclair QL) is where I really got to grips with assembler

    http://www.micromart.co.uk/content/features/default.asp?Category=Article&Type=&ID=1582

    http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=464

    Very nice !

    Richard H.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    > >Atari ST (and Sinclair QL) is where I really got to grips with assembler
    >
    > http://www.micromart.co.uk/content/features/default.asp?Category=Article&Type=&ID=1582

    Hmm... Very interesting... To quote the website selling it:

    "Many of our programs for the Sinclair QL, are re-releases of software
    previously written by other companies, now updated to ensure that they work
    on the latest operating systems and with some improvements. We have
    obtained their permission to release the updated versions, and still pay
    royalties on any software which we sell."

    Well, I'm still the copyright owner and they've never contacted me or sent
    me any cash. Buggers! Microdeal only had permission to publish (in
    exchange for an ST dev. kit) not the copyright. And besides, they don't
    exist any more. Ho hum, well I guess I know where to get a working copy
    now.

    > http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=464
    That's the Amiga version which was ported by Timothy Purves at MichTron -
    had horrible slowdown.

    Here's the one I was actually responsible for:
    http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_detail.php?game_id=1122
    One of those screenshots has munged graphics - probably a dodgy crack, LOL!

    Very strange gameplay was Goldrunner II - sort of a cross between Uridium,
    Defender and Choplifter, if that makes any sense. It was killed by some
    really awful last minute design decisions though. The first Goldrunner had
    speech and music during the game, but mine didn't and the publisher insisted
    it should. I didn't have the CPU time to play samples and keep the 50Hz
    screen refresh so it paused the game and popped up instructions "Gauntlet
    style" when it spoke. Not what you want in a hyper-fast vertical scrolling
    shooter! (At least you could probably work out how to play it without
    reading the instructions though, LOL.) Plus the speech sounded nasty. And
    I never did like that David Whittaker tune. I made all that stuff optional
    though (from the function keys) so at least it could be played with the
    sound effects and without the pauses/speech as I originally intended.

    A cracked version of it is available here:
    http://www.herbs64.com/file/PP_049.ZIP if anyone's interested. It's kind of
    playable if you can get used to it. What can I say... I was young!

    Actually, god that makes me feel old - I've been homebrewing now for 23
    years! I guess I should be pretty good at it by now!

    Alex
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    > A cracked version of it is available here:
    > http://www.herbs64.com/file/PP_049.ZIP if anyone's interested.

    Oops, bad link. This should work:

    http://www.herbs64.com/files/PP_049.ZIP

    Oh, and you'll need an Atari ST emulator to run it of course.
    Right, I'm off to hang my head in shame.

    Alex
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Hi Alex

    >Hard to disagree with that. Gravitrex is a damn fine game! Patriots III on
    >the same cart ain't half bad either.

    All of the Patriots games are great, but I like the Patriots Remix
    better than Patriots III. I realize that Patriots III is probably more
    accurate when compared to the arcade version, but the firing is slower
    than the first two Patriots games. There IS the 3rd canon, but I'd
    rather have two canons and faster bullets!

    > >1) Gravitrex
    > >2) Protector
    > >3) Patriots Remix
    > >4) Repulse
    > >5) Moon Lander

    >What, no Wormhole? That's one I keep coming back to.

    My 6th favorite homebrew.

    >Which reminds me, I still don't have a copy of that. Is it still available?

    I, Cyborg is still available! I have a limited supply of cartridge
    cases. Because of this I had to turn down a couple of wholesale orders
    (totaling 60 cartridges), but I have recently been informed that Sean
    Kelly is not to blame for this. He has actually been hibernating for
    the past 6 months, and is expected to awaken shortly!

    George
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Hey Pepijn,
    I'm glad you have become a member of this forum man. Now we can talk
    Vectrex for some time to come. How's thing's in Europe? Still winter is
    Australia.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Pepijn,
    Sorry, forgot to sign my last post. It was me Daniel.

    Regards,

    Daniel.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    "Alex H" <herbs64@spam.spam.spam.spam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

    > VecLink Maze to be finished next...
    >
    > Alex

    I can't wait to do some multiplayer fragging on the good old Vec :D
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Marc Goldman wrote:
    > "kokovec" <dsiewers@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Richard,
    >>
    >>It goes without say that John D. is the Vec game programming Master.
    >>I thought we were talking about the original Vec games, not the new ones.
    >>I have not played Protector (EBAY prices are just crazy) but my favorite
    >>of the newer games is definately J.D.'s port of missile command.
    >

    > You have to play Protector, it is a great game and a great achievement in
    > Vectrex programming and don't let eBay prices put you off....
    >
    > You can buy the non limited version, complete with YASI (excellent Space
    > Invaders clone) for just $11.50 plus a little for shipping...
    >
    > http://www.vectrexcarts.com/
    >
    > Cheers
    > Marc

    Except that we're still out of repro carts so Mark (Shaker - the
    wonderfully kind soul behind vectrexcarts) can't make any more at the
    moment (please correct me if the situation has changed).

    However apart from this (hopefully temporary) hiccup, Marc is right. The
    big money for the limited edition is just for collectors to worry about
    now. I've got a copy of the unlimited Protector/YASI cart and it is
    fantastic. Even for $11.50 you still get a box and the cart is memory
    save enabled just like the LE version.

    Regards
    Roberto/.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    "Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote in news:1118217059.466575.151140
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hey Pepijn,
    > I'm glad you have become a member of this forum man. Now we can talk
    > Vectrex for some time to come. How's thing's in Europe? Still winter is
    > Australia.

    Hi Daniel!

    Everything OK below down under ?

    Europe is fantastic in summer! Why don't we swop houses for a while ;)

    How's your Lynx collection going?

    Kind Regards,

    Pepijn

Console Gaming Games Video Games