Recover Control Panel

I have Windows XP Pro. I lost the control panel. I can't open any files
or folders. Desktop items, floppy disk, and CD's I can't open either.
Safe mode doesn't help the problem. These are the error messages I
receive, This operation was cancelled due to restrictions effect on
this computer, contact the Administrator. Handle Invalid Menu. System
Retore has been turned off by a group policy, to turn on System Restore
contact your domain Administrator. To give you a hint when the troubles
began when I by mistake changed a registry value. Of course I don't
remember which one. And I don't have a recovery windows xp pro CD. I
can download programs from the internet but I can open. I've been
trouble shooting for 2 months now and I quit. Please if someone can
help before I take it in to the shop I would be very happy to hear from
you as soon as possible. Thanks,

--
Shabri
2 answers Last reply

    Shabri,

    To remove the System Restore restrictions, read below:

    As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    the advice given in the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    restrictions. Follow this:

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:

    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-pane,
    Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    Delete the value "DisableSR"

    For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

    Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    Navigate to this path:

    =>Computer Configuration
    ==>Administrative Templates
    ===>System
    ====>System Restore

    In the right-pane, do the following:

    Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

    More Information:
    ------------------

    "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    -> With this Policy is turned ON, the System Restore tab may be missing
    in My Computer Properties. Also, when you run System Restore (rstrui.exe),
    you receive this message:

    [Msg] "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on
    System Restore, contact your domain Administrator." [/Msg]

    "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    -> With this Policy turned ON, the System Restore tab will remain
    displayed but the user cannot configure the SR options. It reads "disabled
    by Group Policy"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Shabri" <Shabri.1m7udn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have Windows XP Pro. I lost the control panel. I can't open any files
    > or folders. Desktop items, floppy disk, and CD's I can't open either.
    > Safe mode doesn't help the problem. These are the error messages I
    > receive, This operation was cancelled due to restrictions effect on
    > this computer, contact the Administrator. Handle Invalid Menu. System
    > Retore has been turned off by a group policy, to turn on System Restore
    > contact your domain Administrator. To give you a hint when the troubles
    > began when I by mistake changed a registry value. Of course I don't
    > remember which one. And I don't have a recovery windows xp pro CD. I
    > can download programs from the internet but I can open. I've been
    > trouble shooting for 2 months now and I quit. Please if someone can
    > help before I take it in to the shop I would be very happy to hear from
    > you as soon as possible. Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Shabri
  2. Please Use The Windows XP Service pack 2 To Resolve Every Problem & Please Use AVG Internet Security 2011 If U Have Any Problems Please See My E-mail: a_srinath1@yahoo.co.in