Recover Control Panel

March 21, 2005 1:49:08 AM

I have Windows XP Pro. I lost the control panel. I can't open any files
or folders. Desktop items, floppy disk, and CD's I can't open either.
Safe mode doesn't help the problem. These are the error messages I
receive, This operation was cancelled due to restrictions effect on
this computer, contact the Administrator. Handle Invalid Menu. System
Retore has been turned off by a group policy, to turn on System Restore
contact your domain Administrator. To give you a hint when the troubles
began when I by mistake changed a registry value. Of course I don't
remember which one. And I don't have a recovery windows xp pro CD. I
can download programs from the internet but I can open. I've been
trouble shooting for 2 months now and I quit. Please if someone can
help before I take it in to the shop I would be very happy to hear from
you as soon as possible. Thanks,

--
Shabri

More about : recover control panel

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:02:39 PM

Shabri,

To remove the System Restore restrictions, read below:

As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
the advice given in the following pages:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
restrictions. Follow this:

Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
Navigate to the following key:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

In the right-pane,
Delete the value "DisableConfig"
Delete the value "DisableSR"

For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
Navigate to this path:

=>Computer Configuration
==>Administrative Templates
===>System
====>System Restore

In the right-pane, do the following:

Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

More Information:
------------------

"Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
-> With this Policy is turned ON, the System Restore tab may be missing
in My Computer Properties. Also, when you run System Restore (rstrui.exe),
you receive this message:

[Msg] "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on
System Restore, contact your domain Administrator." [/Msg]

"Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
-> With this Policy turned ON, the System Restore tab will remain
displayed but the user cannot configure the SR options. It reads "disabled
by Group Policy"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Shabri" <Shabri.1m7udn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have Windows XP Pro. I lost the control panel. I can't open any files
> or folders. Desktop items, floppy disk, and CD's I can't open either.
> Safe mode doesn't help the problem. These are the error messages I
> receive, This operation was cancelled due to restrictions effect on
> this computer, contact the Administrator. Handle Invalid Menu. System
> Retore has been turned off by a group policy, to turn on System Restore
> contact your domain Administrator. To give you a hint when the troubles
> began when I by mistake changed a registry value. Of course I don't
> remember which one. And I don't have a recovery windows xp pro CD. I
> can download programs from the internet but I can open. I've been
> trouble shooting for 2 months now and I quit. Please if someone can
> help before I take it in to the shop I would be very happy to hear from
> you as soon as possible. Thanks,
>

> --
> Shabri
July 9, 2011 7:42:41 AM