Strange VECRAM Question

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Richard,

I am trying to attach the VECRAM to a device server (Lantronix MSS-100).
For some reason I cannot get the VECRAM to communicate with it.
All of my other serial devices work just fine.
I am using a virtual serial port driver and it seems to be configuring the
port correctly when I start the Vecram software.
Does the vecram need some type of "wake-up" command that the device server
just is not translating?
I tried using realterm and hyperterm to troubleshoot but so far no luck.

Thanks,

Dan
8 answers Last reply
More about strange vecram question
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Richard,

    As always, thanks for the quick reply.
    I actually got it working a couple of hours after I posted this
    message.

    I can "talk" to the Vec via Hyperterminal.
    It gives me the "r" when the Vec is turned off and sending a "c" will
    start Mine Storm.

    The problem is that when I use the new Vecram software it takes over 4
    minutes to load a 4K file.
    I have the exact same problem when I use my USB-RS232 adapter (I have
    tried several different models).
    My PC did not come with a serial port and of course all of the PCI
    slots are spoken for.
    Could the issue be that the Vecram does not communicate well with some
    UARTS?

    I do not have these issues with my laptop which has a built-in serial
    port.

    I am thinking of getting the VecFlash (if you are still making them)
    but I am afraid of running into the same problems.

    Dan
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >Does the vecram need some type of "wake-up" command that the device server
    >just is not translating?

    You do mean VecRam and not VecFlash ?

    If it's the VecRam, it just transmits a character on power-up ('r' I think)
    to let the software know the cart is ready to accept commands. Unlike the
    VecFlash, which boots if it doesn't get a reply, it'll just sits there
    waiting.

    If you send it a 'c', through HyperTerminal, it should boot-up confirming
    comms are OK.

    BTW have you tried the new driver with it ? -

    www.vectrex.biz/VecRam_new.zip

    Richard H.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >The problem is that when I use the new Vecram software it takes over 4
    >minutes to load a 4K file.

    That's definitely not right !

    >I have the exact same problem when I use my USB-RS232 adapter

    I bought a cheap one off EBay to test, and it works 100%

    >Could the issue be that the Vecram does not communicate well with some
    >UARTS?

    I wouldn't think so.

    Let me send you my USB serial adaptor to try on your computer

    Richard H.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    What model adapter are you using?
    Perhaps I can find one here instead of having you go through the trouble of
    sending yours overseas (which is very nice of you to offer by the way).

    Dan

    "Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > >The problem is that when I use the new Vecram software it takes over 4
    >>minutes to load a 4K file.
    >
    > That's definitely not right !
    >

    >>I have the exact same problem when I use my USB-RS232 adapter
    >
    > I bought a cheap one off EBay to test, and it works 100%
    >

    >>Could the issue be that the Vecram does not communicate well with some
    >>UARTS?
    >
    > I wouldn't think so.
    >
    > Let me send you my USB serial adaptor to try on your computer
    >

    > Richard H.

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    It took me a while to find out the maker as the adaptor and CD have no
    names on them (think there was one on the box). On the Mac driver it says
    'Prolific', so I'm guessing that's the manufacturer.

    This is the same model + guy I got mine from -

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6775727170&rd=1

    Richard H.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Thanks. I'll try to get one.
    It's really strange how the Vecram is behaving.
    I have been talking to a few software and hardware experts and they don't
    see a reason for the behavior either.

    > It took me a while to find out the maker as the adaptor and CD have no
    > names on them (think there was one on the box). On the Mac driver it says
    > 'Prolific', so I'm guessing that's the manufacturer.
    >

    > This is the same model + guy I got mine from -
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6775727170&rd=1
    >

    > Richard H.

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:02:16 GMT, "kokovec" <dsiewers@socal.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks. I'll try to get one.
    >It's really strange how the Vecram is behaving.
    >I have been talking to a few software and hardware experts and they don't
    >see a reason for the behavior either.
    >

    >Dan
    >

    >"Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> It took me a while to find out the maker as the adaptor and CD have no
    >> names on them (think there was one on the box). On the Mac driver it says
    >> 'Prolific', so I'm guessing that's the manufacturer.
    >>

    >> This is the same model + guy I got mine from -
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6775727170&rd=1
    >>

    >> Richard H.

    This sounds like a driver problem. Have you tried the interface on
    another CPU with the cart?
    -Cecil
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Yes.

    I have tried using the USB-RS232 adapter as well as the device server with
    my laptop as well as my desktop (both running XP SP2).

    So far no luck in getting either to resolve the problem.

    All of my other RS232 devices work flawlessly with the adapters so I am
    stumped.

    Only my laptop's built-in serial port will work with the Ramcart.

    Dan

    "Cecil Casey" <crcasey934@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:02:16 GMT, "kokovec" <dsiewers@socal.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > This sounds like a driver problem. Have you tried the interface on
    > another CPU with the cart?
    > -Cecil

Console Gaming Devices Servers Video Games