system hangs when right clicking on drive

Help please!

I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl Alt
Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.

I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about system hangs clicking drive

    This usually happens when there is a device that has been 'accessed' and not
    available.

    Some likely causes:
    1. A CD is inserted into an Optical drive, but the drive cannot access or
    read the CD. Generally when a CD writing application is in conflict with Xp.
    This has haapened with Roxio and other, just look at how many posts there
    are regardng CD's not being recognised or CD-ROM not visible under 'My
    Computer'.

    2. A removable device [USB Memory or USB External Drive] has been removed
    without first being 'stopped'.

    3. Unresolved Network Sare Drives, if the PC has been disconnected from a LAN

    "idiot@Xppro" wrote:

    > Help please!
    >
    > I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
    > Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl Alt
    > Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.
    >
    > I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.
    >
    > Thanks

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "idiot@Xppro" <idiotXppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help please!
    >
    > I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
    > Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl
    > Alt
    > Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.
    >
    > I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for your reply.

    However, none of the causes that you listed applies. If I use the left mouse
    button, I can access any of the drives (a:/c:/d:). I am also able to
    open/list files on any of these drives.

    The problem seems to be only when using the right mouse button (for example
    to format a floppy). When using the right button, the system hangs.

    I hope you have a solution!

    Thanks

    "BAR" wrote:

    > This usually happens when there is a device that has been 'accessed' and not
    > available.
    >
    > Some likely causes:
    > 1. A CD is inserted into an Optical drive, but the drive cannot access or
    > read the CD. Generally when a CD writing application is in conflict with Xp.
    > This has haapened with Roxio and other, just look at how many posts there
    > are regardng CD's not being recognised or CD-ROM not visible under 'My
    > Computer'.
    >
    > 2. A removable device [USB Memory or USB External Drive] has been removed
    > without first being 'stopped'.
    >
    > 3. Unresolved Network Sare Drives, if the PC has been disconnected from a LAN
    >

    > "idiot@Xppro" wrote:
    >
    > > Help please!
    > >
    > > I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
    > > Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl Alt
    > > Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.
    > >
    > > I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    I have been trying these various hints for several months now (shells,
    restores, sfc /scannow, et al). To date nothing has worked for me, including
    searching the keys manually for culprits. I have run many anti virus and
    spyware programs and have McAfee and Pest Patrol full time.

    I have discovered one other interesting symptom however, but do not know how
    to take advantage of this information. That is, like the others, the right
    mouse click when in MY COMPUTER gives the explorer error and must shutdown.

    But... if you leave the error window open, do not click either send nor
    don't send buttons... eventually a window pops up that wants me to select a
    program to open the file "C:/ ". If I just close the window asking me to
    select a program, but still leave the explorer error message up... I can use
    the right mouse click and it works fine. But as soon as you close out the
    explorer error message. One is back to the same problem when you try to use
    the right mouse.

    Can anyone help me with information on how to find out what program or
    process thinks it needs to run at the highest level?? (i.e., MY COMPUTER)

    Thanks for any ideas

    SirLar

    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "idiot@Xppro" <idiotXppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Help please!
    >>
    >> I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
    >> Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl
    >> Alt
    >> Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.
    >>
    >> I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    SirLar,

    Have you checked the Event Logs?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been trying these various hints for several months now (shells,
    >restores, sfc /scannow, et al). To date nothing has worked for me,
    >including searching the keys manually for culprits. I have run many anti
    >virus and spyware programs and have McAfee and Pest Patrol full time.
    >
    > I have discovered one other interesting symptom however, but do not know
    > how to take advantage of this information. That is, like the others, the
    > right mouse click when in MY COMPUTER gives the explorer error and must
    > shutdown.
    >
    > But... if you leave the error window open, do not click either send nor
    > don't send buttons... eventually a window pops up that wants me to select
    > a program to open the file "C:/ ". If I just close the window asking me
    > to select a program, but still leave the explorer error message up... I
    > can use the right mouse click and it works fine. But as soon as you close
    > out the explorer error message. One is back to the same problem when you
    > try to use the right mouse.
    >
    > Can anyone help me with information on how to find out what program or
    > process thinks it needs to run at the highest level?? (i.e., MY COMPUTER)
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas
    >
    > SirLar

    >> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "idiot@Xppro" <idiotXppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Help please!
    >>>
    >>> I have XP Home (+SP2) installed on a hp pavilion 750n PC. If I go to My
    >>> Computer and right click on any drive, the Pc hangs. If I then use Ctrl
    >>> Alt
    >>> Del, Windows task Manager shows that My Computer is Not Responding.
    >>>
    >>> I get the same error if I use Windows Explore.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Thanks for new hint.

    No I have not checked the event logs. How do I do that??

    http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm

    --

    > Thanks for new hint.
    >
    > No I have not checked the event logs. How do I do that??

    >> SirLar,
    >>
    >> Have you checked the Event Logs?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have been trying these various hints for several months now (shells,
    >>>restores, sfc /scannow, et al). To date nothing has worked for me,
    >>>including searching the keys manually for culprits. I have run many anti
    >>>virus and spyware programs and have McAfee and Pest Patrol full time.
    >>>
    >>> I have discovered one other interesting symptom however, but do not know
    >>> how to take advantage of this information. That is, like the others, the
    >>> right mouse click when in MY COMPUTER gives the explorer error and must
    >>> shutdown.
    >>>
    >>> But... if you leave the error window open, do not click either send nor
    >>> don't send buttons... eventually a window pops up that wants me to
    >>> select a program to open the file "C:/ ". If I just close the window
    >>> asking me to select a program, but still leave the explorer error
    >>> message up... I can use the right mouse click and it works fine. But as
    >>> soon as you close out the explorer error message. One is back to the
    >>> same problem when you try to use the right mouse.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me with information on how to find out what program or
    >>> process thinks it needs to run at the highest level?? (i.e., MY
    >>> COMPUTER)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any ideas
    >>>
    >>> SirLar
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    Thanks...

    I read the event log. It says unknown application.

    So I went back and cleared it, rebooted, then looked at it with no actions
    having been made.
    With nothing going on I get a warning in event log.

    VirusScan McShield service received an invalid filename from NaiFiltr device
    driver

    Received name = \GLOBAL??\TFSWIFS

    Process = explorer.exe

    Then when I go to MYCOMPUTER

    Right Mouse click then get Error and an event id of 1000

    Faulting Application explorer.exe version, 6.0.2900.2180 faulting module
    unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01884960

    Then get an information event of id 1002

    The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted

    I looked up this warning on the internet and there is some data out there
    that points at a problem with DLA handlers. Like from SONIC or ROXIO or
    several others.

    Has anyone seen this also??

    > http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for new hint.
    >>
    >> No I have not checked the event logs. How do I do that??
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> SirLar,
    >>>
    >>> Have you checked the Event Logs?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    SirLar,

    The Event log does not seem to provide the detailed info (in this case).

    You stated "if you leave the error window open, do not click either send nor
    don't send buttons"

    When you see the "Error-reporting" dialog, click "To view more
    information......" or similar link in the dialog, and read the Mod Name in
    the resulting dialog. There will also be a crash log maintained.

    --

    > Thanks...
    >
    > I read the event log. It says unknown application.
    >
    > So I went back and cleared it, rebooted, then looked at it with no actions
    > having been made.
    > With nothing going on I get a warning in event log.
    >
    > VirusScan McShield service received an invalid filename from NaiFiltr
    > device driver
    >
    > Received name = \GLOBAL??\TFSWIFS
    >
    > Process = explorer.exe
    >

    > Then when I go to MYCOMPUTER
    >
    > Right Mouse click then get Error and an event id of 1000
    >
    > Faulting Application explorer.exe version, 6.0.2900.2180 faulting module
    > unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01884960
    >

    > Then get an information event of id 1002
    >
    > The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted
    >

    > I looked up this warning on the internet and there is some data out there
    > that points at a problem with DLA handlers. Like from SONIC or ROXIO or
    > several others.
    >

    > Has anyone seen this also??

    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for new hint.
    >>>
    >>> No I have not checked the event logs. How do I do that??
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    Thanks Ramesh..

    I did as you said. There are many many modules listed. The first 5 (in order
    1 to 5) were explorer.exe, ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll, and
    advapi32.dll.

    Is there a clue in the order listed? Also, where do I find the crash log you
    mentioned?

    Thank you for all the help to-date..

    > SirLar,
    >
    > The Event log does not seem to provide the detailed info (in this case).
    >
    > You stated "if you leave the error window open, do not click either send
    > nor don't send buttons"
    >
    > When you see the "Error-reporting" dialog, click "To view more
    > information......" or similar link in the dialog, and read the Mod Name in
    > the resulting dialog. There will also be a crash log maintained.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> I read the event log. It says unknown application.
    >>
    >> So I went back and cleared it, rebooted, then looked at it with no
    >> actions having been made.
    >> With nothing going on I get a warning in event log.
    >>
    >> VirusScan McShield service received an invalid filename from NaiFiltr
    >> device driver
    >>
    >> Received name = \GLOBAL??\TFSWIFS
    >>
    >> Process = explorer.exe
    >>

    >> Then when I go to MYCOMPUTER
    >>
    >> Right Mouse click then get Error and an event id of 1000
    >>
    >> Faulting Application explorer.exe version, 6.0.2900.2180 faulting module
    >> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01884960
    >>

    >> Then get an information event of id 1002
    >>
    >> The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted
    >>

    >> I looked up this warning on the internet and there is some data out there
    >> that points at a problem with DLA handlers. Like from SONIC or ROXIO or
    >> several others.
    >>

    >> Has anyone seen this also??
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Again, all the 4 are system modules :-)

    BTW, to access the report, click "To view technical information about the
    error report, click here" link:
    Ex: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/images/EReport2.JPG

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh..
    >
    > I did as you said. There are many many modules listed. The first 5 (in
    > order 1 to 5) were explorer.exe, ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll, and
    > advapi32.dll.
    >
    > Is there a clue in the order listed? Also, where do I find the crash log
    > you mentioned?
    >
    > Thank you for all the help to-date..

    >> SirLar,
    >>
    >> The Event log does not seem to provide the detailed info (in this case).
    >>
    >> You stated "if you leave the error window open, do not click either send
    >> nor don't send buttons"
    >>
    >> When you see the "Error-reporting" dialog, click "To view more
    >> information......" or similar link in the dialog, and read the Mod Name
    >> in the resulting dialog. There will also be a crash log maintained.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "A_Lot_to_Learn" <A_Lot_to_Learn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks...
    >>>
    >>> I read the event log. It says unknown application.
    >>>
    >>> So I went back and cleared it, rebooted, then looked at it with no
    >>> actions having been made.
    >>> With nothing going on I get a warning in event log.
    >>>
    >>> VirusScan McShield service received an invalid filename from NaiFiltr
    >>> device driver
    >>>
    >>> Received name = \GLOBAL??\TFSWIFS
    >>>
    >>> Process = explorer.exe
    >>>

    >>> Then when I go to MYCOMPUTER
    >>>
    >>> Right Mouse click then get Error and an event id of 1000
    >>>
    >>> Faulting Application explorer.exe version, 6.0.2900.2180 faulting module
    >>> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01884960
    >>>

    >>> Then get an information event of id 1002
    >>>
    >>> The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted
    >>>

    >>> I looked up this warning on the internet and there is some data out
    >>> there that points at a problem with DLA handlers. Like from SONIC or
    >>> ROXIO or several others.
    >>>

    >>> Has anyone seen this also??
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Computers Windows XP