Life is a Bandai!

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yikes!

I wonder if it was still the originall buggy Beserk, or was it fixed...

That is a lot of money to pay for a game that goes well... Beserk after
few screens of
playing!

But I guess that it is all in the packaging.

Peteski

nubian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hey Pepijn,
I didn't know you had the BANDAI BERZERK dude. That's wild! Where did
you get that from? I hope the auction goes nice and high for you. It's
already at a healthy US$800. I have 2 housemates at the moment who are
Japanese and I told them about the Jap Vectrex which is really rare but
they knew nothing about it. Not that I did think they'd know about it
seeming there both in their early 20's.

About your question you asked me about still collecting for the Lynx.
Well, I sold half of my Lynx collection so I could get some money but I
kept the best games like Warbirds, Checkered Flag, Joust etc. Nowadays
I am concentrating on completing my 70's Mattel LED handheld
collection. I absolutely love these things.

My rarest game these days is probably Vectrex Protecotor limited
edition or my Turtle Bridge game & Watch (boxed totally NOS). I don't
have anything anywhere near as rare as that Bandai BERZERK you have.
God going man. Goodluck with the auction.

PS. When your in Australia next come and visit me in Tasmania. I'm
probably mving to Brisbane Queensland in 18 months. Either way come
visit.

Regards,

Daniel.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

cracker for paying as much as he did i would have sold him my imager for 50
ducks

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote in news:1118804770.898476.89300
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

On 15 jun 2005, you wrote in rec.games.vectrex:

> Hey Pepijn,
> I didn't know you had the BANDAI BERZERK dude. That's wild! Where did
> you get that from? I hope the auction goes nice and high for you. It's
> already at a healthy US$800. I have 2 housemates at the moment who are
> Japanese and I told them about the Jap Vectrex which is really rare but
> they knew nothing about it. Not that I did think they'd know about it
> seeming there both in their early 20's.

Hi Daniel,

Well, I guess I have more Vec items you don't know about lol.

Let's not forget the Vectrex has been my primary collecting platform the
last few years. I really put in a lot (too much?) effort aquiring
rarities for it. This is one of several 'really' rare items, also a few
other Bandai games. Some I traded for (sometimes for 'labour' right Nico
;), some I bought for hard $$. Like with all collecting I guess.

The last year however, I reached a point where I experienced a shift from
collecting for the true 'love' of things to the purely materialistic
acquiring of property. I've decided I definately don't want to go that
way. Everything I 'own' for the sake of it, 'owns' me right back.I hate
that.

So I'm forcing myself to bring back my collection to acceptable
proportions, getting some cash back in the process. I mean F.I., why own
several Bandai items, when I'm sure I won't be completing them? Might
as well just keep one for the 'love factor.

But anyways, yes, these Bandai items are really hard to get. I only
know a few European Vectrex collector who have any.
Originally 11 games where release by Bandai. Armor Attack, Clean Sweep,
Hyper Chase, Solar Quest, Berzerk, Cosmic Chasm, Rip Off, Space Wars,
Star Hawk and finally Harmagedon and ScrambleWars.

The games itself are US GCE games relabeled with Bandai stickers, and
come with 'normal' overlays but with Japanese manuals. The cartridges are
'normal' GCE carts (with US roms) Bandai relabelled. In this case it's
the MB 1982 title screen version of Berzerk.
However, Harmagedon (Star Trek) and Scramblewars (Scramble obviously) got
their own titled box so these are extra, extra special I guess !! I don't
have any of those two so I don't know if the roms are also modified to
display the different game title (Nicolas?)

Appearantly, (with MB pulling the plug on the Vectrex in 1984?), Bandai
didn't sell very much units in Japan. Other than these games, no other
items where released (light pen/imager + games ) as far as I know. Even
in Japan anything Kousokusen (as the Vecs called over there) related is
very hard to obtain.

It's very cool stuff. Collecting or not, when I come across a Kousokusen,
I most probably will try to get it, whatever the cost.

> About your question you asked me about still collecting for the Lynx.
> Well, I sold half of my Lynx collection so I could get some money but I
> kept the best games like Warbirds, Checkered Flag, Joust etc. Nowadays
> I am concentrating on completing my 70's Mattel LED handheld
> collection. I absolutely love these things.

A Ok I see. I still have the old Lynx collection near complete, although
I haven't been giving it a lot of attention lately. I still love this
handheld though. My favorite handheld and overall Atari system.

I don't know these Mattel handhelds, sounds very nice. The only handhelds
I've got are a bunch of loose Nintendo G&W (no, no turtle bridge, just
commons..

> My rarest game these days is probably Vectrex Protecotor limited
> edition or my Turtle Bridge game & Watch (boxed totally NOS). I don't
> have anything anywhere near as rare as that Bandai BERZERK you have.
> God going man. Goodluck with the auction.

Well, that's something I don't have ;) I totally missed Alex's sale at
the time. brilliant edition of a brilliant game ;) I'd love to have it
just to be able to play the hidden game which isn't on the dual cart with
YASI.

> PS. When your in Australia next come and visit me in Tasmania. I'm
> probably mving to Brisbane Queensland in 18 months. Either way come
> visit.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel.

That certainly might happen one day! Thanks for the invitation and I'll
look forward to that!

Kind regards,

Pepijn

Nubian wrote:

> My rarest game these days is probably Vectrex Protecotor limited
> edition or my Turtle Bridge game & Watch (boxed totally NOS). I don't
> have anything anywhere near as rare as that Bandai BERZERK you have.

I daresay that your Protector Limited edition is FAR rarer than any
released game. Those Bandai games were made in the thousands (or in
the very least a few hundred). In the long run these homebrew games
(especially the limited run stuff) will be the most sought-after items
by the completist collectors.

Just because you can buy them today doesn't mean you will be able to
buy them tomorrow!

Even Sean Kelly's multicarts (of which he says he's sold a few
thousand) don't come close to the production run of a commercial game.

Chris Romero wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4315&item=8198941347&rd=1

i need to contact that buyer... i have boxed Bandai Beserk, Cleen
Sweep, Solar Quest, Cosmic Chasm and Ripoff. Maybe i can get a nice
downpayment on a house out of him :0

Anyone have Harmegeddon or ScrambleWars for trade/sale? Or Bandai
Ripoff, Hyperchase, Space Wars or Star Hawk...

(yes Chris, i'll be shipping you my Kousokusen for CGE :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hey Pepijn!

This is the Berzerk you bought from me right? Well, you will earn some great
money on this one. Great!

>Other than these games, no other
items where released (light pen/imager + games ) as far as I know.

Well, there is the Bandai carrying bag which is very different from the
Eur/US one. Nico has bought one from me if I don't remember wrong. I have
seen three in the wild.

Then there has to be a different Veccade or whatever you call it in Japan. I
regret I didn't save the picture of a piece of it. I'd never see the whole
unit but the piece I saw has never been in a Euro/US counterpart.

Now drool on this one... :)

http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex.jpg
http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex2.jpg
http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex3.jpg

Too bad I've already sold it. :-(. Guess if a collector in Sweden is really
happy now?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Crille C" <negerpierre@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hey Pepijn!
>
> This is the Berzerk you bought from me right? Well, you will earn some
> great money on this one. Great!

Yes, I will thanks, ;)

>>Other than these games, no other
> items where released (light pen/imager + games ) as far as I know.
>
> Well, there is the Bandai carrying bag which is very different from
> the Eur/US one. Nico has bought one from me if I don't remember wrong.
> I have seen three in the wild.
>
> Then there has to be a different Veccade or whatever you call it in
> Japan. I regret I didn't save the picture of a piece of it. I'd never
> see the whole unit but the piece I saw has never been in a Euro/US
> counterpart.

Right, didn't know that thanks.. Perhaps Nico can put some pics of the
bag on his site, would be nice.

> Now drool on this one... :)
>
> http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex.jpg
> http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex2.jpg
> http://hult.mine.nu/crille/images/stories/space/vectrex3.jpg

yes nice.. I've come across a few of those, but they've been way too
expensive unfortunately at the time.

> Too bad I've already sold it. :-(. Guess if a collector in Sweden is
> really happy now?

Yes, he'll be!

Do you actually collect Vectrex yourself anywasy or just trade off your
japanese connections' finds?