Production of vectrex cartridge cases how to start it with..

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

The greatest thing about the Vectrex is it's Homebrew community, and new
hardware (vecflash, etc.).

As you all know the reproduction cases are all gone now, and Sean Kelly
who has started this reproduction, has no intention (as far as we know)
of making another production run.

We could make a joined effort in making cases.

a) contact Sean (mmmh, how?) and get his mould
b) make a new mould

We could contact some moulding/plastic factories in several countries,
if we have the specification of the mould/case and the number of carts
we need in the first run.

Who can fill me in,

a) we need specifications of the cases (or can a factory work from an
original case)?
b) how many cases do we need
c) find the best (price! but also quality) factory
d) Finance this!

More about production vectrex cartridge cases start with
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I think this is a great idea. I was even thinking about doing it (I
    have no equipment, but I once used an injection molder in high school
    *grin*). I thought perhaps the fine people at vgwiz.com, who make those
    clear, blue, and red Atari 2600/7800 cartridge cases that are all over
    AtariAge.com, would have some suggestions on how to go about it. I
    e-mailed them, but haven't received a response yet.

    Jeroen (vectrex.nl) wrote:
    > The greatest thing about the Vectrex is it's Homebrew community, and new
    > hardware (vecflash, etc.).
    >
    > As you all know the reproduction cases are all gone now, and Sean Kelly
    > who has started this reproduction, has no intention (as far as we know)
    > of making another production run.
    >
    > We could make a joined effort in making cases.
    >
    > a) contact Sean (mmmh, how?) and get his mould
    > b) make a new mould
    >
    > We could contact some moulding/plastic factories in several countries,
    > if we have the specification of the mould/case and the number of carts
    > we need in the first run.
    >
    > Who can fill me in,
    >
    > a) we need specifications of the cases (or can a factory work from an
    > original case)?
    > b) how many cases do we need
    > c) find the best (price! but also quality) factory
    > d) Finance this!

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    PS. I wonder what the prices are like here (this was linked from
    WorldChanging.com when I did a search for "injection molding"):

    http://emachineshop.com/
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    They're really nice! They don't have the fancy spring-loaded contact
    covers that the original Atari-branded cartridges did, but they're
    every bit as finished as any clone cartridge from the 80s, and they
    seem really durable. I especially like the clear ones.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Yes, it's getting pretty desperate, I'm turning down requests for VecFlash's
    every week + I've had to put the next project (VecRam III) on hold
    indefinitely.

    Like I've said before, I'm more than willing to put cash into the pot to buy
    a new or Sean's existing mould.

    Richard H.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >We could contact some moulding/plastic factories in several countries,

    Asia has got to be the most cost effective place to have them made

    Richard H.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Jeroen (vectrex.nl) schreef:
    > The greatest thing about the Vectrex is it's Homebrew community, and new
    > hardware (vecflash, etc.).
    >
    > As you all know the reproduction cases are all gone now, and Sean Kelly
    > who has started this reproduction, has no intention (as far as we know)
    > of making another production run.
    >
    > We could make a joined effort in making cases.
    >
    > a) contact Sean (mmmh, how?) and get his mould
    > b) make a new mould
    >
    > We could contact some moulding/plastic factories in several countries,
    > if we have the specification of the mould/case and the number of carts
    > we need in the first run.
    >
    > Who can fill me in,
    >
    > a) we need specifications of the cases (or can a factory work from an
    > original case)?
    > b) how many cases do we need
    > c) find the best (price! but also quality) factory
    > d) Finance this!

    I have dropped an info request with a dutch manufacturer, i will post
    info here when i have more to report.

    If other people can help, let us know thru these posts or email me at
    info(at)vectrex.nl
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Jeroen (vectrex.nl) schreef:
    > The greatest thing about the Vectrex is it's Homebrew community, and new
    > hardware (vecflash, etc.).
    >
    > As you all know the reproduction cases are all gone now, and Sean Kelly
    > who has started this reproduction, has no intention (as far as we know)
    > of making another production run.
    >
    > We could make a joined effort in making cases.
    >
    > a) contact Sean (mmmh, how?) and get his mould
    > b) make a new mould
    >
    > We could contact some moulding/plastic factories in several countries,
    > if we have the specification of the mould/case and the number of carts
    > we need in the first run.
    >
    > Who can fill me in,
    >
    > a) we need specifications of the cases (or can a factory work from an
    > original case)?
    > b) how many cases do we need
    > c) find the best (price! but also quality) factory
    > d) Finance this!

    I mailed Sean thru his ebay account, which is active. I asked him if we
    (or Mark Shaker) could use his mould.

    tbc
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Count me in on anything you do. I looked into it locally a few months
    ago, and it's really expensive here. I was quoted something in the
    area of $8000 for a mold.

    George
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >I thought perhaps the fine people at vgwiz.com, who make those
    >clear, blue, and red Atari 2600/7800 cartridge cases

    That's an excellent idea !

    I've heard their cases are pretty good quality

    Richard H.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    RED MARTIAN wrote:
    > I just don't have a direct line to Sean.

    > if he'd let us take the mold

    If you can do it, GREAT! However, I've noted 2 gigantic hurdles...
    contacting Sean, and getting him to give up the mold.

    George
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I decided to give emachineshop a whirl. I spent about an hour, and came
    up with this:

    http://whiteshell.com/jacob/vectrex/cartridgetest.2005jun21.jpg

    It's not to scale (well, the overall size is right, just not the
    particulars), and it's not designed to be mated to another half, etc -
    it's just a test!

    I ran the costing feature on the application, too, and it gave a price
    for this part, as designed, of $927.82 for 100, $572.35 of which is
    tooling. At a quantity of 1000, it's $2229.19, getting very close to
    Sean Kelly's asking price of $4 per, assuming the bottom half is about
    the same cost. My guess is that the final tooling cost will be twice as
    high, given that I haven't approached the necessary complexity yet, so
    the order will probably need to be for two or three thousand to make
    the price-per-unit reasonable. If there are twenty games out there that
    need runs of a hundred, this could work.

    Jacob Rose wrote:
    > PS. I wonder what the prices are like here (this was linked from
    > WorldChanging.com when I did a search for "injection molding"):
    >
    > http://emachineshop.com/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    For those who sell carts (shaker, hutchinson and friends) I'd be willing
    to put the funding in to realise a new supply of cart cases. I just don't
    have a direct line to Sean. I know he's been busy with his family, but if
    he'd let us take the mold, I'll provide the funding and get the cases to
    you guys. Deal?

    --
    martians@sdf.lonestar.org
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Looks good, Jacob! Keep us posted here.

    George
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    I have also send an inquiry to a Taiwan bases plastics company.

    tbc.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Chris Romero wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Great work and enthusiasm so far on this additional case effort guys!
    >
    > BUT, save your money for a short time more. More to come presently on the
    > subject.....
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks for the update and the email Chris. I just received
    a response from Mark Shaker, who confirmed that he will buy
    1000 shells from Sean. Mark always buys a lot from Sean, and
    then he resells them to the rest of us. It works very well,
    as long as the product is kept in stock. Mark is a very fast
    and efficient person to deal with, and it really would be best
    to continue doing it this way. It's simpler for everyone.

    George
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    All,

    Great work and enthusiasm so far on this additional case effort guys!

    BUT, save your money for a short time more. More to come presently on the
    subject.....

    Chris
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >I'll provide the funding and get the cases to you guys. Deal?

    Yes definitely, if you can make it work and guarantee an uninterrupted
    supply, GO FOR IT !

    Richard H.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    FURY schreef:
    > Chris Romero wrote:
    >
    >>All,
    >>
    >>Great work and enthusiasm so far on this additional case effort guys!
    >>
    >>BUT, save your money for a short time more. More to come presently on the
    >>subject.....
    >>
    >>Chris
    >

    > Thanks for the update and the email Chris. I just received
    > a response from Mark Shaker, who confirmed that he will buy
    > 1000 shells from Sean. Mark always buys a lot from Sean, and
    > then he resells them to the rest of us. It works very well,
    > as long as the product is kept in stock. Mark is a very fast
    > and efficient person to deal with, and it really would be best
    > to continue doing it this way. It's simpler for everyone.
    >
    > George

    Great to hear the carts shortage will be ended soon.

    Jeroen
    btw Taiwan replied to my request, they would like to make the carts, but
    that doesn't seem te be necessary anymore.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    >btw Taiwan replied to my request, they would like to make the carts, but
    >that doesn't seem te be necessary anymore.

    It does, because I need a continuous supply i.e have our own mold.

    I just can't have long periods without cases again.

    What sort of pricing did you get back form Taiwan ?

    Richard H.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Richard Hutchinson schreef:
    >>btw Taiwan replied to my request, they would like to make the carts, but
    >>that doesn't seem te be necessary anymore.
    >

    > It does, because I need a continuous supply i.e have our own mold.
    >
    > I just can't have long periods without cases again.
    >

    > What sort of pricing did you get back form Taiwan ?
    >

    > Richard H.

    No quotation yet, i have asked for an estimate today to get a mould
    made. In the first reply they asked if i could send an example, i have
    asked for an estimate before i send an example.

    tbc
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Thanks Jeroen, that sounds quite promising !

    Richard H.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    "Jeroen (vectrex.nl)" <dontusethis@antispam.nl> wrote in news:82f04
    $42b7da48$3e3b7847$16766@news.versatel.nl:

    Good initiative Jeroen!

    I wouldn't know what to contribute, but it seems
    things are moving again..

    Two thumbs up everyone!
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

    Richard Hutchinson schreef:
    > Thanks Jeroen, that sounds quite promising !
    >

    > Richard H.

    A mould/mold would cost usd 4500 in Taiwan!

    Maybe a poll on the subject how to continue?

Console Gaming Cases Video Games Product