offline-reading wikipedia on T5 without Tomeraider?

July 24, 2005 4:44:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have come to discover I could download a copy of the complete
wikipedia in my language, in a compacted form, and read it on my T5 via
the TomeRaider software.

I am a bit impressed by this, and also by the fact that in order to read
an enormous free corpus of data I have to pay for the viewer. To some
extend, I feel no other encyclopedia would invest the amount needed to
port its files to the Palm... It seems I could download an html version
of the wikipedia, but that one wouldn't be compacted and probably
wouldn't fin inside the Palm; also, if I did the compacting myself (say,
in zip form) I couldn't decompact "on the fly" like Tomeraider does.

Before I definitely pay for Tomeraider, in spite of its flaws (clunky
interface, no landscape mode...), is my understanding correct that
Tomeraider is the only application capable to do this on Palm?

TIA,

Hervé

--
Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, h.sainct@laposte.net [fr,es,en,it]
Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

""Frédérique & Her" "vé Sainct"" <h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid> wrote in
message news:1h07eto.7vppi680wk8oN%h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid...
>I have come to discover I could download a copy of the complete
> wikipedia in my language, in a compacted form, and read it on my T5 via
> the TomeRaider software.
>
> I am a bit impressed by this, and also by the fact that in order to read
> an enormous free corpus of data I have to pay for the viewer. To some
> extend, I feel no other encyclopedia would invest the amount needed to
> port its files to the Palm... It seems I could download an html version
> of the wikipedia, but that one wouldn't be compacted and probably
> wouldn't fin inside the Palm; also, if I did the compacting myself (say,
> in zip form) I couldn't decompact "on the fly" like Tomeraider does.
>
> Before I definitely pay for Tomeraider, in spite of its flaws (clunky
> interface, no landscape mode...), is my understanding correct that
> Tomeraider is the only application capable to do this on Palm?
>
> TIA,
>
> Hervé
>
> --
> Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, h.sainct@laposte.net [fr,es,en,it]
> Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address
> l'initiale de Frédérique manque devant l'adresse email ci-dessus

Be careful with Wikipedia. Entries for people, in the English version at
least, are in First Name order, not Last Name. So Wilhelm Schmidt is under W
and *not* under S. If you don't remember the person's first name, or cannot
spell it properly, you can't find them. You could do a Full Search using
Tomeraider but that takes for ever on a Palm and is *not* stoppable because
of poor programming in Tomeraider.

Also, when you run the Tomeraider software to transfer the Wikipedia to the
Palm, the index gets broken. I think it has to do with the number of data
entries for a particular index entry. Some entries simply cannot be found
except by using "Page Down" repeatedly. This is also because of poor
programming by the Tomeraider folks.

I have complained to Proporta about both these, and other, problems for many
months but get no response. The problems were introduced in Tomeraider 3.
Tomeraider 2 was fine but does not support files large enough for the
Wikipedia.

You will also need a memory card of *at least* 1GB. 512 MB is not enough.

--
Harold Fuchs
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Thanks for this!

I fully agree with all your criticisms of TR -which is why I ask wether
there is an alternative, but indeed I ran the whole thing, with the
french wikipedia (smaller than the english one) and all is relatively OK
on my T5 with the exception of all flaws you mention. Even the search
works well.

But what I fear is, there won't be an alternative to TR...
Maybe I'll pay TR for them to further improve the Palm version :-/

Hervé

--
Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, h.sainct@laposte.net [fr,es,en,it]
Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address
l'initiale de Frédérique manque devant l'adresse email ci-dessus
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:52:33 PM

In article <1h07eto.7vppi680wk8oN%h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid>,
h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid says...
> Before I definitely pay for Tomeraider, in spite of its flaws (clunky
> interface, no landscape mode...), is my understanding correct that
> Tomeraider is the only application capable to do this on Palm?

There is also Plucker, http://www.plkr.org/

Totaly free, and open source developed.

- John
July 24, 2005 10:56:27 PM

"John Barberio" <barberio@deliverator.homeip.net> wrote in message
> In article <1h07eto.7vppi680wk8oN%h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid>,
> h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid says...
>> Before I definitely pay for Tomeraider, in spite of its flaws (clunky
>> interface, no landscape mode...), is my understanding correct that
>> Tomeraider is the only application capable to do this on Palm?
>
> There is also Plucker, http://www.plkr.org/
>
> Totaly free, and open source developed.
>
> - John
Please explain how Plucker can work in this context.

With Tomeraider/Wikipedia I type (Graffiti or whatever) a letter at a time
and Tomeraider displays the first page of entries starting with the letters
I have typed so far.

It's just like using a Palm based dictionary.

So to find the entry for Plucker I'd start by typing "P" and get the first
page/screenful of entries beginning with P. If this page doesn't include
Plucker, I'd type "l" and get the first page of entries beginning Pl. If
Plucker still doesn't show I'd type "u" etc. etc.

Or I could just Page Down after, say "Pl" but that would be quite slow as
the English Wikipedia I have contains over 770,000 entries (yes, seven
hundred and seventy thousand) and occupies 515MB of highly compressed text,
including the indexes.

This all works because of the way Tomeraider has built its indexes. It's
very fast.

I can also use a special Find function where I enter up to 3 complete
words/phrases which can be ANDed or ORed together.

Can Plucker match this? Can it read Tomeraider files? Can it build
searchable indexes from HTML files? Please say yes because then I'll buy it.
I know, it's free; but you know what I mean ;-)

Oh and there are hundreds (thousands??) of Tomeraider-readable files out
there; all *free*. And you can make your own using the same software you use
to read them. Tomeraider for Palm is GBP15 (USD 27) plus GBP7 for the
Windows version if you buy them together - you need the Windows version to
read "tomes" on your PC or to make your own tomes, which can then be copied
to your Palm.

--
Harold Fuchs
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 10:56:28 PM

All this specialized reading software and you are complaining that you
have to pay for it. You want something for free and then you complain
because it doesn't work the same.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

There will be one available for Plucker, soon?
http://code.plkr.org/
July 25, 2005 3:51:22 PM

"Dale DePriest" <Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote in message
> All this specialized reading software and you are complaining that you
> have to pay for it. You want something for free and then you complain
> because it doesn't work the same.
>
> Dale
>
> Harold wrote:
>
>> "John Barberio" <barberio@deliverator.homeip.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <1h07eto.7vppi680wk8oN%h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid>,
>>>h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid says...

>>>There is also Plucker, http://www.plkr.org/
>>>
>>>Totaly free, and open source developed.
>>>
>>> - John
>>
>> Please explain how Plucker can work in this context.
>>
>> With Tomeraider/Wikipedia I type (Graffiti or whatever) a letter at a
>> time and Tomeraider displays the first page of entries starting with the
>> letters I have typed so far.
>>
>> It's just like using a Palm based dictionary.
>>
>> So to find the entry for Plucker I'd start by typing "P" and get the
>> first page/screenful of entries beginning with P. If this page doesn't
>> include Plucker, I'd type "l" and get the first page of entries beginning
>> Pl. If Plucker still doesn't show I'd type "u" etc. etc.
>>
>> Or I could just Page Down after, say "Pl" but that would be quite slow as
>> the English Wikipedia I have contains over 770,000 entries (yes, seven
>> hundred and seventy thousand) and occupies 515MB of highly compressed
>> text, including the indexes.
>>
>> This all works because of the way Tomeraider has built its indexes. It's
>> very fast.
>>
>> I can also use a special Find function where I enter up to 3 complete
>> words/phrases which can be ANDed or ORed together.
>>
>> Can Plucker match this? Can it read Tomeraider files? Can it build
>> searchable indexes from HTML files? Please say yes because then I'll buy
>> it. I know, it's free; but you know what I mean ;-)
>>
>> Oh and there are hundreds (thousands??) of Tomeraider-readable files out
>> there; all *free*. And you can make your own using the same software you
>> use to read them. Tomeraider for Palm is GBP15 (USD 27) plus GBP7 for the
>> Windows version if you buy them together - you need the Windows version
>> to read "tomes" on your PC or to make your own tomes, which can then be
>> copied to your Palm.
>>

> --
> _ _ Dale DePriest
> /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
> o/_/ (_(_X_(` For GPS and GPS/PDAs

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I'm complaining about paying
for Tomeraider.

I most definitely am not complaining. I think the program is cheap and would
be quite happy to pay more (but don't tell anyone that).

I included the prices as statements of fact and as information for the other
posters to this thread.

In addition, as far as I know, *all* Tomeraider files - dictionaries, novels
etc. etc. are *free*.

I've been a happy Tomeraider user/advocate for several years and will
continue to be now that the more serious bugs introduced in v3 have been
fixed (see separate post).

--
Harold Fuchs
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
July 25, 2005 3:59:10 PM

""Frédérique & Her" "vé Sainct"" <h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid> wrote in
message news:1h07pd5.a77xw71qq7pnyN%h.sainct@laposte.net.invalid...
> Thanks for this!
>
> I fully agree with all your criticisms of TR -which is why I ask wether
> there is an alternative, but indeed I ran the whole thing, with the
> french wikipedia (smaller than the english one) and all is relatively OK
> on my T5 with the exception of all flaws you mention. Even the search
> works well.
>
> But what I fear is, there won't be an alternative to TR...
> Maybe I'll pay TR for them to further improve the Palm version :-/
>
> Hervé
>
> --
> Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, h.sainct@laposte.net [fr,es,en,it]
> Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address
> l'initiale de Frédérique manque devant l'adresse email ci-dessus

The bugs I mentioned in my previous post have been fixed:
1. Uninterruptible Find. Tapping the screen now stops the Find
2. Broken indexes in large files. Normal index based searches now seem to
work in the examples where they failed before.
3. Support for international characters - Scandinavian vowels etc. These
characters are now recognised and, as far as I can tell, appear sorted in
the correct sequence.

The new version (3.1.05), which fixes the above bugs, doesn't show images
whereas the previous version did. Proporta say they will fix this soon.

The new version is free to registered users. Just install it and re-register
using the same key as before.

No. I have no connection at all to Proporta, other than as a happy customer.

--
Harold Fuchs
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:13:21 PM

Harold wrote:

> "Dale DePriest" <Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote in message
>
>>All this specialized reading software and you are complaining that you
>>have to pay for it. You want something for free and then you complain
>>because it doesn't work the same.
>>
>>Dale
>>
>>Harold wrote:
>>

>>>"John Barberio" <barberio@deliverator.homeip.net> wrote in message

>>>Please explain how Plucker can work in this context.
>>>
>>>With Tomeraider/Wikipedia I type (Graffiti or whatever) a letter at a
>>>time and Tomeraider displays the first page of entries starting with the
>>>letters I have typed so far.
>>>
>>>It's just like using a Palm based dictionary.
>>>
>>>So to find the entry for Plucker I'd start by typing "P" and get the
>>>first page/screenful of entries beginning with P. If this page doesn't
>>>include Plucker, I'd type "l" and get the first page of entries beginning
>>>Pl. If Plucker still doesn't show I'd type "u" etc. etc.
>>>
>>>Or I could just Page Down after, say "Pl" but that would be quite slow as
>>>the English Wikipedia I have contains over 770,000 entries (yes, seven
>>>hundred and seventy thousand) and occupies 515MB of highly compressed
>>>text, including the indexes.
>>>
>>>This all works because of the way Tomeraider has built its indexes. It's
>>>very fast.
>>>
>>>I can also use a special Find function where I enter up to 3 complete
>>>words/phrases which can be ANDed or ORed together.
>>>
>>>Can Plucker match this? Can it read Tomeraider files? Can it build
>>>searchable indexes from HTML files? Please say yes because then I'll buy
>>>it. I know, it's free; but you know what I mean ;-)
>>>
>>>Oh and there are hundreds (thousands??) of Tomeraider-readable files out
>>>there; all *free*. And you can make your own using the same software you
>>>use to read them. Tomeraider for Palm is GBP15 (USD 27) plus GBP7 for the
>>>Windows version if you buy them together - you need the Windows version
>>>to read "tomes" on your PC or to make your own tomes, which can then be
>>>copied to your Palm.
>>>

>>--
>> _ _ Dale DePriest
>> /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
>> o/_/ (_(_X_(` For GPS and GPS/PDAs
>

> I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I'm complaining about paying
> for Tomeraider.
>
> I most definitely am not complaining. I think the program is cheap and would
> be quite happy to pay more (but don't tell anyone that).
>
> I included the prices as statements of fact and as information for the other
> posters to this thread.
>
> In addition, as far as I know, *all* Tomeraider files - dictionaries, novels
> etc. etc. are *free*.
>
> I've been a happy Tomeraider user/advocate for several years and will
> continue to be now that the more serious bugs introduced in v3 have been
> fixed (see separate post).

I apoligize, I didn't carefully read the authors of the various articles
in the thread. I confused you with someone else.

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

> Harold wrote:
>
>> "Dale DePriest" <Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote in message
>>
>>>All this specialized reading software and you are complaining that you
>>>have to pay for it. You want something for free and then you complain
>>>because it doesn't work the same.
>>>
>>>Dale

>>>--
>>> _ _ Dale DePriest
>>> /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
>>> o/_/ (_(_X_(` For GPS and GPS/PDAs
>>

>> I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I'm complaining about
>> paying for Tomeraider.
>>
>> I most definitely am not complaining. I think the program is cheap and
>> would be quite happy to pay more (but don't tell anyone that).
>>
>> I included the prices as statements of fact and as information for the
>> other posters to this thread.
>>
>> In addition, as far as I know, *all* Tomeraider files - dictionaries,
>> novels etc. etc. are *free*.
>>
>> I've been a happy Tomeraider user/advocate for several years and will
>> continue to be now that the more serious bugs introduced in v3 have been
>> fixed (see separate post).
>>

> I apoligize, I didn't carefully read the authors of the various articles
> in the thread. I confused you with someone else.
>
> Dale
> --
> _ _ Dale DePriest
> /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede