Cart cases latest

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I'll put this in a new thread...

Jeroen has done some investigating and can get a new Vec cart case mould
made for $4500

Now, this is not a lot of money if several of us share the cost.

So the question is - who wants to ?

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I'd be willing to make a big donation towards that, but only after all
efforts to get Sean to weigh in on giving up his mold are spent.

If seems kinda silly to do this when there is already an available
mold.

If a new mold is created I would really want to see a slightly
different shape/color instead of merely cloning the GCE cases just to
differentiate it. Maybe put an embedded handle on the end or
something.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

If it comes to making a new one, I was thinking it should be updated a
little, maybe to make more room for projects like VecFlash, but I
wouldn't depart too much from the classic design. If anyone is still
interested in having a new design, or a new 'mold,' I would love to do
the CAD work, especially if anyone else wants to work with me. I think,
as a student, I can get a discount on a version of AutoCAD (unless
someone has an old license they're not using?), the output of which
could be imported into emachineshop's application. That would give us
more freedom to shop around, rather than being tied to one supplier. To
proceed, I would need an empty Vectrex shell and PC board (maybe
someone could send spares? I don't really want to open my few original
cartridges *grin*).

mos6507@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'd be willing to make a big donation towards that, but only after all
> efforts to get Sean to weigh in on giving up his mold are spent.
>
> If seems kinda silly to do this when there is already an available
> mold.
>
> If a new mold is created I would really want to see a slightly
> different shape/color instead of merely cloning the GCE cases just to
> differentiate it. Maybe put an embedded handle on the end or
> something.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I am in.

-Cecil

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:21:11 +0100, "Richard Hutchinson"
<richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>I'll put this in a new thread...
>
>Jeroen has done some investigating and can get a new Vec cart case mould
>made for $4500
>
>Now, this is not a lot of money if several of us share the cost.
>

>So the question is - who wants to ?
>

>Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I'd say we stick with the style Sean developed and use his as a template
since this will work for all the new PCBs people are developing.

I think we have to face that fact that while Shaker will patiently wait on
Sean to fill his orders, we're only going to end up driving up the cost
for his cart cases. Many of us have been waiting well over a year for
cart cases and Sean doesn't want to lend us his mould to fill orders.

I would be willing to not only provide a cart as a template but also the
$4500 to get the mould made.

Have any of you received private emails from Chris Romero telling us that
Mark Shaker is working with Sean to get new carts made and that we should
cool it? You know, I've been listening to that story for over a year now.
No offense to you Chris .. I know you're just trying to save us all money,
but we have to do this. Besides, intellivision geeks keep egging my
house.

--
martians@sdf.lonestar.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

News: Mark Shaker and Sean Kelly are working together to make cart
cases available again.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>I'd say we stick with the style Sean developed and use his as a template
>since this will work for all the new PCBs people are developing.

The only addition I think it needs, are the clips that were are on the
original cases. I don't know why Sean omitted them on his version (perhaps
easier to make without), but it makes the 2 halves of the case fit much more
securely.

I also like Jacob's suggestion of coloured cases, especially clear (John
D had a dream about making an internally lit one). Of course, when the mould
is made, we can have runs of any colour we want - cool !

BTW obviously I'm in :)

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Maybe we should have a list of people willing to donate ? I'm in too.

Nico
Sap1

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
>>I'd say we stick with the style Sean developed and use his as a template
>>since this will work for all the new PCBs people are developing.
>

> The only addition I think it needs, are the clips that were are on the
> original cases. I don't know why Sean omitted them on his version (perhaps
> easier to make without), but it makes the 2 halves of the case fit much more
> securely.
>
> I also like Jacob's suggestion of coloured cases, especially clear (John
> D had a dream about making an internally lit one). Of course, when the mould
> is made, we can have runs of any colour we want - cool !
>

> BTW obviously I'm in :)
>

> Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Oh, and I would love to see new cases actually too. Clear cases or with
a different shape. I think it would be a good way to show that the
Vectrex is evolving (like the games we have now thanks to our best
coders) and that the Vec is not remaining in the past but facing the
future ! :)

Nico
Sap1

sap1 wrote:
> Oh, and I would love to see new cases actually too. Clear cases or with
> a different shape. I think it would be a good way to show that the
> Vectrex is evolving (like the games we have now thanks to our best
> coders) and that the Vec is not remaining in the past but facing the
> future ! :)

Cases which are different colours, or clear (or both!) will be easy if
"we" have our own mold. It is only difficult at the moment because the
making of the carts is fairly removed from those using them.

Different shapes is another matter. For a start, everyone has to agree
what the new shape should be...

Roberto/.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

If everyone can wait, hold off on actually ordering anything or
collecting money until after the first of August. Sean will be
running the Classic Gaming Expo (which I attend and supply museum
stuff for), and I'm sure someone will confront him directly about
this. (I will if no one else does, Romero will probably beat me to it
though... :) )

If he's too busy to deal with manufacturing carts on a regular basis,
maybe we can throw a dollar figure at him to convince him to sell the
molds...

Rik

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:21:11 +0100, "Richard Hutchinson"
<richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>I'll put this in a new thread...
>
>Jeroen has done some investigating and can get a new Vec cart case mould
>made for $4500
>
>Now, this is not a lot of money if several of us share the cost.
>

>So the question is - who wants to ?
>

>Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

So what exactly has been done to contact Sean and what has he said
about making more carts???
Tony

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I agree with the clear case idea. Easy to add lights, and more importantly,
I might just be able to get my Vectrex based remote control since a clear
cases would allow an IR link/sender without cutting hole. ;-)

Chris Romero

"sap1" <sap1@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> Oh, and I would love to see new cases actually too. Clear cases or with a
> different shape. I think it would be a good way to show that the Vectrex
> is evolving (like the games we have now thanks to our best coders) and
> that the Vec is not remaining in the past but facing the future ! :)
>
> Nico
> Sap1
>
> Richard Hutchinson wrote:
>
>>>I'd say we stick with the style Sean developed and use his as a template
>>>since this will work for all the new PCBs people are developing.
>>

>> The only addition I think it needs, are the clips that were are on the
>> original cases. I don't know why Sean omitted them on his version
>> (perhaps
>> easier to make without), but it makes the 2 halves of the case fit much
>> more
>> securely.
>>
>> I also like Jacob's suggestion of coloured cases, especially clear (John
>> D had a dream about making an internally lit one). Of course, when the
>> mould
>> is made, we can have runs of any colour we want - cool !
>>

>> BTW obviously I'm in :)
>>

>> Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Well Rik, I have already beat you to it, sort of. I have been in contact
with Sean and Mark. The outcome of the conversation is another cart order
WILL be placed shortly by Sean with mrk coordinating the oder collection.
And by shortly I really mean it. July 2nd is the cut off date.

To EVERYONE,

The current order tally is already over 1000 cases. If you want to
participate in the current order of Sean's reproduction Vectrex cartridge
cases then here is what you need to do:

- Decide if you like Sean's current Vectrex cart cases. (read other Vectrex
newsgroup message on this topic)
- If you do like Sean's cases then decide how many cases you want in
multiples of 50.
- For each multiple of 50 pay Mark Shaker $98.00 via PayPal. (50
cases=$98, 100 cases =$196.00, etc.)
- Contact Mark Shaker to obtain his PayPal account for payment. If you
don't already know it then go to http://www.VectrexCarts.com to obtain it.
- Place your order to Mark by July 2, 2005. Mark will execute the batch
order (his and everyone else's) on that date.

The current order will be the same Sean Kelly reproduction Vectrex cart case
we have all come to apprciate. no changes to mold, cases color, or clarity
for this order.

The charge of $98 per 50 cart cases is ONLY for the ordering of the cart
cases and DOES NOT include shipping. After the cart case order has been
received, Mark will contact you about the shipping cost for your portion of
the cart cases to your address.

If you want to pay Mark via some other method please contact him. I have
found mark to be accommodating but like any transaction, the request will be
easier if Mark knows who you are first. However, don't expect him to fund
you portion of the order of his pocket.

Here are some answers to common questions:
- Sean has stated the Vectrex cart case mold he hade made is still around
for future production.
- The Vectrex cart case mold has 4-6 runs of cases.
- Mold Life-expectancy is over 100 runs. So lots of life left on the mold!
- The smallest run for this cases order will be 1000 pieces. This will
allow the cost per case to come in around $2 per case.
- Sean does not want to sell the mold for the reproduction Vectrex cart
cases.
- The mold costs $10K (USD) to make. Why spend more to make the same
thing?
- The execution of the run would happen via Sean.
- Sean has dibs on 333 pieces of the next run. This is out of whatever
size run is made. Mark also wants a large number for obvious reasons
relating to his cart manufacturing service.
- 333 is the amount in each case (box) of repro Vectrex cart cases. Nice
to have to box to store a decent amount of cart cases in.
- Having multiple people join for the next run of reproduction Vectrex cart
cases is good idea.
- Contact Mark Shaker (http://www.VectrexCarts.com) to place your part of
the order.
- Final date for placing an order for this run of cases is July 2, 2005.

Chris Romero
http://www.vectrex.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

So it's too late to change the plastic color that will used ? :)

Chris Romero wrote:
> [...]
> thing?
> - The execution of the run would happen via Sean.
> - Sean has dibs on 333 pieces of the next run. This is out of whatever
> size run is made. Mark also wants a large number for obvious reasons
> relating to his cart manufacturing service.
> - 333 is the amount in each case (box) of repro Vectrex cart cases. Nice
> to have to box to store a decent amount of cart cases in.
> - Having multiple people join for the next run of reproduction Vectrex cart
> cases is good idea.
> - Contact Mark Shaker (http://www.VectrexCarts.com) to place your part of
> the order.
> - Final date for placing an order for this run of cases is July 2, 2005.
>

> Chris Romero
> http://www.vectrex.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

For this order the case color is standard.