XP SP2 Pagefile location (random)

Hello,

Here's an odd one I can't find a solution to!

Windows XP Pro SP2. I have several disks split into partitions Disk0
(D:), Disk1 (C:, E:), and Disk2 (I:). I am wanting to shift the
pagefile from C: to I:, however whenever I try Windows seems to put the
pagefile anywhere other than I: (and completely randomly I might add).

For example, set a custom pagefile on I: then set pagefile on all other
drives to 'no pagefile', reboot, check settings and the pagefile will be
on D:. Try it all over again, and it will appear on E:, then maybe C:,
etc etc. I can never seem to get it on I:

Any ideas? Its got me stuffed!

ashram
5 answers Last reply
More about pagefile location random

    "ashram" <ashs_ashram@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Here's an odd one I can't find a solution to!
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2. I have several disks split into partitions Disk0
    > (D:), Disk1 (C:, E:), and Disk2 (I:). I am wanting to shift the pagefile
    > from C: to I:, however whenever I try Windows seems to put the pagefile
    > anywhere other than I: (and completely randomly I might add).
    >
    > For example, set a custom pagefile on I: then set pagefile on all other
    > drives to 'no pagefile', reboot, check settings and the pagefile will be
    > on D:. Try it all over again, and it will appear on E:, then maybe C:,
    > etc etc. I can never seem to get it on I:
    >
    > Any ideas? Its got me stuffed!
    >
    > ashram

    You need to leave at least a very small Page File on the system drive
    (namely C: in your case). Otherwise, Windows will move it, or complain and
    set it on C: as a big one. Set a small file on C: say 2mgs min to 50max.,
    then do what you want on I: setting the PF there.

    Read here for more info:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Tom wrote:
    > "ashram" <ashs_ashram@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Here's an odd one I can't find a solution to!
    >>
    >>Windows XP Pro SP2. I have several disks split into partitions Disk0
    >>(D:), Disk1 (C:, E:), and Disk2 (I:). I am wanting to shift the pagefile
    >>from C: to I:, however whenever I try Windows seems to put the pagefile
    >>anywhere other than I: (and completely randomly I might add).
    >>
    >>For example, set a custom pagefile on I: then set pagefile on all other
    >>drives to 'no pagefile', reboot, check settings and the pagefile will be
    >>on D:. Try it all over again, and it will appear on E:, then maybe C:,
    >>etc etc. I can never seem to get it on I:
    >>
    >>Any ideas? Its got me stuffed!
    >>
    >>ashram
    >

    > You need to leave at least a very small Page File on the system drive
    > (namely C: in your case). Otherwise, Windows will move it, or complain and
    > set it on C: as a big one. Set a small file on C: say 2mgs min to 50max.,
    > then do what you want on I: setting the PF there.
    >
    > Read here for more info:
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Not so sure about that. I have the sole XP pro pagefile on a dedicated
    partition and have no problems. XP is on J: in my system and the
    pagefile has H: all to itself. If Xp is making a pagefile anywhere but
    H: it is doing so when expicitly told *no paging file* on all partitions
    except H: in system/advanced/Performance settings/virtual memory.

    John

    Tom wrote:

    > You need to leave at least a very small Page File on the system drive
    > (namely C: in your case). Otherwise, Windows will move it, or complain and
    > set it on C: as a big one. Set a small file on C: say 2mgs min to 50max.,
    > then do what you want on I: setting the PF there.

    Have tested this theory, and unfortunately it didn't hold up! I set a
    small pagefile on C: (ie. 2-50Mb) and tried setting one on I: but it
    still did the same thing. Interestingly though, I can set a single
    pagefile anywhere other than I: (C, D, or E) without the system moving it.

    Another thing to note is that when the pagefile is created on another
    drive, both the virtual memory settings and the registry do NOT reflect
    the location of pagefile.sys - ie. they are still set for where ever I
    set them to.

    Any other ideas?

    John wrote:
    > Not so sure about that. I have the sole XP pro pagefile on a
    > dedicated partition and have no problems. XP is on J: in my system and
    > the pagefile has H: all to itself. If Xp is making a pagefile anywhere
    > but H: it is doing so when expicitly told *no paging file* on all
    > partitions except H: in system/advanced/Performance settings/virtual
    > memory.

    John,

    That's my problem - the pagefile IS being created in a location other
    than where I tell it in the virtual memory options. Virtual memory
    options I set pagefile on I:, however after reboot pagefile.sys is
    actually located somewhere else - but never on I: (including drives I
    set to have no pagefile).

    ashram wrote:
    > Have tested this theory, and unfortunately it didn't hold up! I set a
    > small pagefile on C: (ie. 2-50Mb) and tried setting one on I: but it
    > still did the same thing. Interestingly though, I can set a single
    > pagefile anywhere other than I: (C, D, or E) without the system moving it.
    >
    > Another thing to note is that when the pagefile is created on another
    > drive, both the virtual memory settings and the registry do NOT reflect
    > the location of pagefile.sys - ie. they are still set for where ever I
    > set them to.

    With further testing I have discovered that setting the pagefile
    location to I: and "system managed size" does allow the pagefile to be
    created on I:. The problem only occurs when trying to set the pagefile
    to a static size.

Pagefile Windows XP