Sign in with
Your question

Stolen Toshiba Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 29, 2012 11:31:20 AM

Hello,
I am Jon Gil, writing from Ghana. My house suffered an armed robbery attack on 23/3/2012 and they made away with my Toshiba Laptop. I am in a terrible fix and would want to know how I could trace my Toshiba laptop or even make it impossible for those possessing it to use.
I am a Film Producer and the worth of documents and or files as in intellectual properties are stuffed in the machine. please, I need a solution urgently.
My email is gildjok@yahoo.com, please help me out. Thanks.gildjok[at]yahoo.com

More about : stolen toshiba laptop

March 29, 2012 11:54:34 AM

a b D Laptop
March 29, 2012 12:18:27 PM

I am skeptical also, though unless you had a GPS tracking unit installed on the laptop OR security software that reports when and where the laptop is put online (this can be stopped with a hard drive format whilst the GPS unit cannot) you are screwed.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
March 29, 2012 12:27:09 PM

Yes, odds are that you are unfortunately SOL :( 
Unless the thief is caught, it is highly unlikely that you will ever recover your laptop or any of your data.
In the future, I highly recommend keeping at least one secure backup of all your important data and using full disk encryption on your laptop.

Sorry about your luck.
a c 572 D Laptop
a b 1 Email
March 29, 2012 12:48:18 PM

Hello JonGil;

Sorry;
It's not possible to track a laptop, disable it, or retrieve your personal files and data remotely without first having installed security software allowing you to do that.

http://preyproject.com/

March 29, 2012 3:51:04 PM

I imagine it would be rather difficult for him to locate the armed thieves, infiltrate their lair, install the software, then get out again undetected so he can activate the software and locate his laptop.
March 29, 2012 3:55:39 PM

KNO3 said:
I imagine it would be rather difficult for him to locate the armed thieves, infiltrate their lair, install the software, then get out again undetected so he can activate the software and locate his laptop.

isnt that from "the spy that shagged me" ???
!