Sign in with
Your question

Reboot and select proper boot device error

Last response: in Windows 7
June 18, 2010 6:55:26 PM

Hi,

I have a gateway dx4831-01e running 64 bit windows 7with an additional drive added as a slave and 3 external drives-2 usbs and one Sata drive--and upon restart I keep getting this error:
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
There are two options on the Gateway startup screen Delete:Enter Setup
and f12:Boot menu
If I press f12 and go to the boot menu and select the drive listed first it starts--I tried going into setup and looking at the BIOS and it seemed to have the drive set as the boot drive
Can anyone tell me whats going on or more importantly how to fix this?

Thanks,
---Yvette
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2010 7:12:03 PM

Hi

Remove the external drives and try again.
June 18, 2010 8:04:38 PM

Thanks saint19--that worked-now what?plug the drives in and reboot again?

Thanks,
---Yvette
Related resources
June 18, 2010 8:35:04 PM

Hi,

Well, I tried plugging them back in and rebooting-same problem--what do I do?

thanks,
---Yvette
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2010 8:44:09 PM

The problem is that the rig is try too booting 1st from the USB external drives and always can try to do it, so, u need avoid in the BIOS the USB boot or unplug the external drives when u turn on the rig.
June 18, 2010 11:52:17 PM

Thanks I ll try to edit the BIOS settings--The odd thing is that I havent had this problem before--I've had the machine for a few months now in the same configuration without incident.
Also, I noticed that one of the external USB drives doesn't get recognized on reboot--I have to turn it off and then back on for it to show up in windows explorer--
Could that malfunctioning drive be the issue?

thanks again,
---Yvette
a b $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 1:24:36 AM

I don't think so because u can get the same problem with Win XP or Win Vista. Try to configured the BIOS for not boot from USB.
June 19, 2010 7:02:44 AM

Thanks so much--I checked the BIOS and it is configured to boot from my USB drive-Didnt have a chance to figure out how to fix that--well, I think I know how but I screwed it up the first time and couldnt wait for another reboot

---Yvette
a b $ Windows 7
June 20, 2010 3:37:02 AM

Any time, that's why we are here. Come back to the forum and don't forget solve the thread.
!