Malfunctions Still Transpire

It appears that "Still Awaiting Assistance" ceased being monitored, as, on
the fifteenth, I responded to Brown's message requesting, "Let us know how
you make out," with, "Connection sharing malfunctions transpired today," and
the conversation has not continued. However, since then, they have not
occurred.

What am I to make of the lack of response? Have either of my previous two
messages not been read, or are you merely still working on ideas? Please at
least keep me apprised.

"Compu-Pikachu" <c o m p u - p i k a c h u @ v a l i n t . n e t> wrote in
message news:114cgi57vud1g0a@corp.supernews.com...
> What am I to make of the lack of response? Have either of my previous two
> messages not been read, or are you merely still working on ideas? Please
> at least keep me apprised.

I think you have exhausted all the troubleshooting that can be done via a
newsgroup. Without being there to observe what is happening it is too
intermittent a problem to solve by this method.

Kerry

Compu-Pikachu wrote:
> What am I to make of the lack of response? Have either of my
> previous two messages not been read, or are you merely still working
> on ideas? Please at least keep me apprised.

At this point, many suggestions have been made by myself and others. You
have said you followed some of these suggestions and threw the rest out due
to monetary concerns. I am of the belief that a simple purchase of two new
network cards (I prefer Intel) and/or a network hub/switch/router (I have no
TRUE brand preference here) would remedy your situation.

To add to this, you provided no further information and to many people on a
newsgroup who are assisting you, you must provide more details as you are
the one actually sitting in front of the problem system(s) - not they. Only
you know the ins-and-outs of your configuration and I can assure you for
home PCs - no two configurations are likely exactly alike after a few weeks
of use by their primary user. What research - beyond having people ask you
specific questions and you giving specific answers - have you done to solve
your own issue?

Also - it is a fact that many people will be unable to access your previous
post - as the news servers they may connect to may have already erased it.
Therefore, if you wish to continue to attempt to obtain assistance from the
volunteers here, it is best that you repeat your post and what has been
tried/suggested so far - or you will not get a response (as some will not
know the back-story) and/or you will get repeat responses - for which you
have already shown a great dislike for - perhaps due to a misunderstanding
of how newsgroups and their world propogation works.

In this, I will assist:

On March 7, 2005 - Compu-Pikachu wrote:
> I am becoming substantially displeased with the fact that still no
> further responses have been transmitted regarding this:
>
> My brother and I each possess a Windows XP Service Pack II computer,
> which are networked, his being the server and providing a shared
> connection. Both of us also have shared directories. Despite the
> network's considerable benefits, primarily in entertainment,
> intermittently:
> 1. Both or one of either of the computers' shared directory Network
> Places shortcuts cease to exist.
>
> 2. Both or one of the computers cease to register in the workgroup
> computers lists of both or one of our computers.
>
> 3. Whenever I attempt to access files via Internet Explorer while
> using the shared connection, the computer believes that no such
> connection is currently active and, instead, attempts to connect to
> the Internet, which is always futile, as the domicile only possesses
> one telephone line.
> I am substantially displeased by this, especially considering my
> conjecture that the service pack is defective. I have even heard
> negative comments on it. Perhaps the claims of Microsoft's software
> flaws being considerably more common compared to those of a majority
> of other major companies are true after all.

Other points of interest in the previous thread:

- You currently run ONE AntiSpyware application (or have only bothered to
mention one - although a list of many has been provided to you and the fact
that no one antispyware applications is 100% effective) and that one is
Spybot Search and Destroy. The exact version you have is still to be
determined. You have, on your own, determined that your chances of getting
spyware is 1%.
- You have a "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter". You have checked (as
suggested) for updated drivers.
- There is a known issue (several - but this is one that became evident with
SP2) with the Via Rhine - an incorrect link speed setting. You have gone to
local area connection properties -> configure -> Advanced -> Connection
Type -> change from Auto-Negotiation to 100Base Tx Full Duplex on at least
one system - we assume both systems are the same - have you done this to
both systems?
- The two computers are connected via crossover cabling.
- The suggestion to get a new network adapter and/or hub/switch/router
equipment is financially prohibitive.
- According to the thread - the malfunctions started in January.
- It is unknown when you updated to SP2, you actually never pointed that
out.
- It was suggested (but unclear as to your following or not the suggestion)
that you try to use the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
as opposed to TCP/IP for your internal network. (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814987 )
- One latter troubleshooting suggestion was made by "Kerry Brown" and that
was the following:

Kerry Brown wrote:
> As to your network problem. In my course of business I have seen
> intermittent problems with two computers networked via a crossover
> cable utilizing the on-board ethernet ports. If you power up one
> computer and the other is not powered up the port is not properly
> initialized and Windows does not recognize it. You must power up both
> computers within a few seconds of one another or power up one, wait
> until Windows is running, power up the other computer, wait until
> Windows is running, then restart the first computer. If this turns
> out to be the cause of your problem it can be solved by utilizing one
> of these methods. 1) Make sure both computers are powered up at the
> same time. 2) Install a hub or switch and use regular CAT 5 ethernet
> cables instead of the crossover cable. As long as the hub or switch
> is powered up before either of the computers, the on-board ethernet
> ports will be properly initialized. 3) Or lastly, install PCI
> ethernet cards in both computers, disable the on-board ethernet
> ports, and use the newly installed PCI cards with your existing
> crossover cable to connect the computers.

For which you determined this was " excessive hassle".

Beyond that, the last response you provided to the thread was:

On March 15, 2005 @ 7:32PM - Compu-Pikachu wrote:
> Connection sharing malfunctions transpired today.

Which provided no more information - not even specifics of the "sharing
malfunctions" that occurred this last time - if they differed in any way
from previous malfuntions?

The more information you provide up front, the more likely you will get an
answer. Please remember that these newsgroups are not contained on a single
server and that each server may have different retention rules - that your
servers will have no idea your previous posts existed - not to mention the
content of them. So you should be careful to provide the following when
asking for help in a new thread - such as the one you started here:

- Your problem, stated as concisely as possible.
- Your system configuration (that of each machine involved in the problem) -
including hardware and software. Be as specific as you can.
- If it is a "hardware issue" - the driver versions you are running of the
problem equipment in question.
- If it is a "software issue" - the version of the software in question.
(If it could be either, provide the versions and such for everything that
could be involved.)
- Troubleshooting you have performed already - anything and everything you
have tried to resolve your own issue.
- Can the issue be "caused" - meaning "is there anything you can do to force
the issue to repeat itself by your will?"

With that information, the questions and responses you get will be more
precise and hopefully lead to a solution to your liking more quickly.

--
<- Shenan ->