nubian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hey All,
As a dedicated old-school gamer I mostly collect for systems, and
mostly handhelds, from the 1980's. I am a member of quite a few gaming
forums on the net but I must say this RGV Vectrex forum is the only
one I really trust as their seems to be quite a good lot of good
insight and gaming knowledge on this forum. So I have a gaming question
that is not Vectrex related.

I am considering buying the Sony PSP when it is released here in
Australia on September 1st. So I am asking whether anybody on this
forum has purchased a Sony PSP and also asking if they are happy with
their purchase. Having read a few reviews for games for Sony's new
handheld, Ridge Racer would probably be my first purchase until a half
decent RPG is released.

As I collect for older gaming systems, the kick I get out of the new
style graphics and sound when I actually play a next generation console
is very enjoyable. So any opinion from vintage gamers who have played
with, or purchased, the PSP will aid my decision on whether to actually
purchase this new handheld.

Regards,

Daniel Foot.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

I'll consider buying a PSP when they can freely run unsigned code and
the emulators mature. The PSP would make a wonderful portable
Vectrex/C64/Lynx/Whatever you want.

The problem is that Sonly will just up the ante and update the firmware
to block this sort of thing.

On 13 Aug 2005 06:48:45 -0700, rob_ocelot@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'll consider buying a PSP when they can freely run unsigned code and
>the emulators mature. The PSP would make a wonderful portable
>Vectrex/C64/Lynx/Whatever you want.

I heard custom development (of some sort) was already possible, but
i'm not sure. I know the DS is capable of homebrew (emulator)
development, but a bit bulky for my taste.
Maybe the next GP32 (GPX2) for me (runs on Linux, able to view all my
media,etc.) as i'm not really that into 'nextgen gaming' (wipeout &
MGS aside)

On 13 Aug 2005 05:42:21 -0700, "Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote:

>Hey All,
>As a dedicated old-school gamer I mostly collect for systems, and
>mostly handhelds, from the 1980's. I am a member of quite a few gaming
>forums on the net but I must say this RGV Vectrex forum is the only
>one I really trust as their seems to be quite a good lot of good
>insight and gaming knowledge on this forum. So I have a gaming question
>that is not Vectrex related.
>
>I am considering buying the Sony PSP when it is released here in
>Australia on September 1st. So I am asking whether anybody on this
>forum has purchased a Sony PSP and also asking if they are happy with
>their purchase. Having read a few reviews for games for Sony's new
>handheld, Ridge Racer would probably be my first purchase until a half
>decent RPG is released.
>
>As I collect for older gaming systems, the kick I get out of the new
>style graphics and sound when I actually play a next generation console
>is very enjoyable. So any opinion from vintage gamers who have played
>with, or purchased, the PSP will aid my decision on whether to actually
>purchase this new handheld.
>
>Regards,
>
>Daniel Foot.

Daniel, I have a PSP with the following games...

Wipeout Pure... Good racer, can be hacked for browsing, has online
download components. Ok but not on my most played list.

As a note: I am more a shump, rpg, or platformmer person, but I got
these to try and see what the PSP can do.

Hot Shots Golf... This is a hit.

Darkstalkers Chronicle... Totally a retro fighter. It could be 16 bit
if you didn't know the difference. In fact I think it is.

ATV Offroad fury, Blazing Trails... This is a good quad sim, totally
cool if you can get several players together. Not so great for one
player.

Mercury... Nice puzzle game with cool 'player' con troll, you may
have several blobs to control at once. Nice idea and a good
challenge.

Lumines... get it, play it love it. Puzzle game.

Untold Legends... RPG, short but cool. You will like it if you like
the hack and slash rpg's.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour... about the same as the PS2 version of 2005.

Ridge Racer... Go fast and slide. Then go fast some more. Cool
game.

Ape escape... Platformer. Not very good control. I would give it a
skip.

Hope this is a basic idea of what is out.

Cecil Casey wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2005 05:42:21 -0700, "Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Hey All,
> >As a dedicated old-school gamer I mostly collect for systems, and
> >mostly handhelds, from the 1980's. I am a member of quite a few gaming
> >forums on the net but I must say this RGV Vectrex forum is the only
> >one I really trust as their seems to be quite a good lot of good
> >insight and gaming knowledge on this forum. So I have a gaming question
> >that is not Vectrex related.
> >
> >I am considering buying the Sony PSP when it is released here in
> >Australia on September 1st. So I am asking whether anybody on this
> >forum has purchased a Sony PSP and also asking if they are happy with
> >their purchase. Having read a few reviews for games for Sony's new
> >handheld, Ridge Racer would probably be my first purchase until a half
> >decent RPG is released.
> >
> >As I collect for older gaming systems, the kick I get out of the new
> >style graphics and sound when I actually play a next generation console
> >is very enjoyable. So any opinion from vintage gamers who have played
> >with, or purchased, the PSP will aid my decision on whether to actually
> >purchase this new handheld.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Daniel Foot.
>

> Daniel, I have a PSP with the following games...
>
> Wipeout Pure... Good racer, can be hacked for browsing, has online
> download components. Ok but not on my most played list.
>
> As a note: I am more a shump, rpg, or platformmer person, but I got
> these to try and see what the PSP can do.
>
> Hot Shots Golf... This is a hit.
>
> Darkstalkers Chronicle... Totally a retro fighter. It could be 16 bit
> if you didn't know the difference. In fact I think it is.
>
> ATV Offroad fury, Blazing Trails... This is a good quad sim, totally
> cool if you can get several players together. Not so great for one
> player.
>
> Mercury... Nice puzzle game with cool 'player' con troll, you may
> have several blobs to control at once. Nice idea and a good
> challenge.
>
> Lumines... get it, play it love it. Puzzle game.
>
> Untold Legends... RPG, short but cool. You will like it if you like
> the hack and slash rpg's.
>
> Tiger Woods PGA Tour... about the same as the PS2 version of 2005.

Ridge Racer... Go fast and slide. Then go fast some more. Cool
> game.
>
> Ape escape... Platformer. Not very good control. I would give it a
> skip.
>
> Hope this is a basic idea of what is out.

Hey All,
Thanks Cecil for the overview on what is going on with the PSP in the
gaming department in the first generation of game releases. Looking at
your game descriptions, I will probably buy 'Ridge Racer' first and
then maybe 'Untold Legends' a little while after.

Maybe the PSP's monitor would make a good vector monitor, I'm not sure,
and we may see a Vectrex emulator produced for it sometime in it's
lifetime (fingers crossed). Now that handhelds are having online
capabilties the mind must boggle with what can be done with them.

Regards,

Daniel.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yeah, you can write programs for it now, but only with the original
firmware (which is still available in stores if you know how to look
for it, but it's becoming more rare, and new games will require
firmware updates). There's Nintendo emulators of all types, Turbo
Grafx, various 8-bit computers (no C64 yet...) and a bunch of fairly
cool custom games. It's a great system, I'm actually going to buy a
second one when firmware updates become mandatory so I can still play
the homebrew stuff...

Word of caution for European people though, when it's released in
Sept, it will have the new firmware in it already...

Just depends on what you want it for. I have about 8 games for it,
and I tend to carry it around all over the place... Nothing like
having to wait in a 30 minutes line for a movie or something, and just
pulling out your gaming system. :)

It's actually the first new game system I've purchased since my
C-64... :)

Rik

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:43:57 GMT, Rik <Rik1138@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Yeah, you can write programs for it now, but only with the original
>firmware (which is still available in stores if you know how to look
>for it, but it's becoming more rare, and new games will require
>firmware updates). There's Nintendo emulators of all types, Turbo
>Grafx, various 8-bit computers (no C64 yet...) and a bunch of fairly
>cool custom games. It's a great system, I'm actually going to buy a
>second one when firmware updates become mandatory so I can still play
>the homebrew stuff...
>
>Word of caution for European people though, when it's released in
>Sept, it will have the new firmware in it already...
>
>Just depends on what you want it for. I have about 8 games for it,
>and I tend to carry it around all over the place... Nothing like
>having to wait in a 30 minutes line for a movie or something, and just
>pulling out your gaming system. :)
>
>It's actually the first new game system I've purchased since my
>C-64... :)
>
>Rik

One thing I didn't mention directly is the rather incredable video
playback. And I am not talking about UMD videos either. I bought my
movies on DVD so I could watch them and enjoy them at home or
wherever, I refuse to buy them again for the PSP. But there is not a
need to.

There are several format conversion tools that take DVD .vob (video
object streams) to the MPEG4 format that the video player on the PSP
can handle. You transcode the movie with your PC and store it on a
Memory Stick. I happen to use the SanDisk Brand, but you can pay a
bit more and get a smaller Sony stick.

I find that with medium resolution (the best the PSP can do with the
default playback software) and a great quality soundtrack that I can
fit one or two movies on a 1Gb Memory Stick. And since playback is
from Flash the battery time will usualy last for both movies. So if
you want a small (but great looking) video player you get one for free
with the PSP.

Hopfully in the next few days SECA will let loose with the upgrade
that will add web browsing. I will need to add a wi-fi hot spot
locator to my wish list for PSP software.

Blatent Plug ahead...

If you want to read a bit more on video conversion for the PSP wander
by Armchair Arcade, I have a short (kinda) step by step there. In
spirit I will leave the link finding to those who care.

Cheers
-Cecil

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Rik wrote:

> Yeah, you can write programs for it now, but only with the original
> Grafx, various 8-bit computers (no C64 yet...)

Darn! :)

Prepping for next weekend's
Classic Gaming Expo,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Robert Bernardo wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Rik wrote:
>
> > Yeah, you can write programs for it now, but only with the original
> > Grafx, various 8-bit computers (no C64 yet...)
>
> Darn! :)
>
> Prepping for next weekend's
> Classic Gaming Expo,
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group
> http://videocam.net.au/fcug

hey cecil (& all)
i'm typing this post on the internet on my psp. It got released in
australia on friday. I love it. Ridge Racer rules & good f

nubian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hey Cecial (&All),
I didn't quite finiish the above post on my PSP when I hit the wrong
button and only half of my post was complete.

The PSP is good and sound and has some great features I am just getting
familiar with.

When Sony released Firmware 2.0, which is packaged with the
Australian/European PSPs, they dealt a cruel blow to us vintage game
freaks. Firmware 2.0 does not allow you to play emultators and games
from the vintage era. So no C64 or Vec emulator yet. Let's hop someone
can hack into it and change this is a Vec emulator pops up sometime
soon.

Has anybody else from RGV purchased a PSP lately? I'm trying to talk
Jeroen into getting one.

Regards,

Daniel Foot.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Nubian" <dfoot@tassie.net.au> wrote in news:1125979696.951767.250930
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hey Cecial (&All),
> I didn't quite finiish the above post on my PSP when I hit the wrong
> button and only half of my post was complete.
>
> The PSP is good and sound and has some great features I am just getting
> familiar with.
>
> When Sony released Firmware 2.0, which is packaged with the
> Australian/European PSPs, they dealt a cruel blow to us vintage game
> freaks. Firmware 2.0 does not allow you to play emultators and games
> from the vintage era. So no C64 or Vec emulator yet. Let's hop someone
> can hack into it and change this is a Vec emulator pops up sometime
> soon.
>
> Has anybody else from RGV purchased a PSP lately? I'm trying to talk
> Jeroen into getting one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel Foot.

Well, I've got a 1.0 from Japan that I upgraded to a 1.50. Happily for
me, that means I can still produce software for it using the quite decent
psp sdk that has been put together by the netizens.

Busy working on my own software - haven't considered trying to port one
of the vec emulators over to it. Given current state of my development
efforts, porting something that knows how to read files from a file
system, accept input from the controllers, does some thining, then
updates pixels in a buffer shouldn't be too hard. If the plan is to have
something that takes vector requests, and actually feeds them to lines,
that should be doable too. adding in overlay support might be a bit more
fun...

Maybe as a diversion tonight...

Dan.
everyone@Nogotogames.com