GeForceFX 5200 or Ti4800

4of11

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
My Ti4800 graphics card recently died, so I sent the card back to my computer manufacturer. Since the card had to be sent back to the manafactere for the warrenty, the shop owner gave me a GeForce FX 5200 in its place, so I wouldn't have to wait. Which I wouldn't have minded, but he told me the 5200 was better than my previous card. But when I tried it out in Unreal Tournament 2k, the framerate seemed significantly worse. It had been a while since I had last played, so maybe my memory (biological) was flawed. So, was I stiffed on this trade?

Thanks for your help.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
FX 5200 is significantly worse than a ti4800.Give that charlatan of a shop owner a good talking to and get at least another ti4800!

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just one question........do u own a gun??

well if u dont u can always rent one....:D

go shoot tht idiot n get back ur baby

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
he told me the 5200 was better than my previous card.
People that work in the Computer industry should no better than this. That's not sound nor accurate advice at all. SO many cases I have seen lately when someone's GeFOrce Ti card dies & they give them a worse performing card in replacement and assume its better merely because of the DX9 support that it offers. I hate to call people "idiots" but & I almost feel tempted to, since he <i>works in the computer industry</i>. Retailers should really be better informed than they are. Customers deserve better than this from the retailers they trust.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I almost would pose the arguement that it is unethical for bussinessmen to be so underinformed about the products that they merchandise. I just don't think its right. Sure, its okay to make a mistake here & there. But so many retail salesman don't know what the heck their talking about. They see an "FX" or a "DirectX 9 support" on the box and autmatically equate that to being better without doing any actual research on what they are advertise as "better". I could be getting too carried away, but I've had enough of this. I've seen too much of it and the results are complete neglect to the customer. I realize that the salesman didn't intend to give the customer lower performance than what the customer already had when suggesting the FX 5200 as a "worthy" replacement. Even though such harm is unintentional, it results in alot of customers becomming pissed due to the salesman's lack of "expertise" in his work. I'm not trying to judge this one individual retail salesman specifically, but collectively this instance serves as a prime example of what goes on in the hardware marketting field. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this matter in addition to mine?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Granted, this kind of an error is criminal from the kind of people who would like to class themselves as experts, but one also has to blame the likes of Nvidia and ATI for this sort of problem.It is high time they stopped confusing people with erroneous product numbers.It is natural for consumers to assume that the higher the product number is, the better the performance is, at least within the product lines from the same company.Just look at all the confusion Nvidia has created with the FX 5200, which is considerably worse even than the ti 4200.ATI have committed similar offences, with the radeon 8500 fiasco- notably faster than the 9000 so then renamed the 9100, but AFAIK it even outperforms the newer 9200 also...And i haven't even begun to talk about the confusion involving directx 9 compatibility caused by the radeon 9xxx line and the FXs!
Having said all this, however, i do fully agree with what you said, UFO_WARVIPER, i.e. that so-called 'experts' should know the relative performance of the products they sell inside-out and be able to see through marketing bulls**t.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I really liked your arguement. You brought up the flip side of the coin & coreectly pointed out that the Video Card chip manufacturers have their share in causing the confusion.

Anyone else have anything to add?

G

Captain Obvious says that yes, the manufactureres do greatly share in the issue! They promote new features and new technology over other equally important factors like card speed and memory bandwidth!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Are you going ot join the THGC Photo Album? I'm also wondering if your "residence" here is permanent. Like do you think you'll probably be at this for a couple of years?

G

Captain Obvious needs to branch out into other forums in the search of obviousness!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol poor dude.
looks like there is one example where the capt aint very obvious

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yup.

*Summons Captain_Obvious to Explain himself before the Jury*

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
LOL! With people like that around, that retailer d00d might actually fall for it. But its doubtful though, however. If I were you, I wouldn't try to push my luck too far. If you do, they might actually be reluctant to give you what you deserve.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Ti4800 series were the fastest GeForce4 cards. The FX5200 is slower than all ther GeForce4 cards, slower than even the slowest Ti4200. GeForce4MX cards notwithstanding since they didn't use a GeForce4 technology.

The Fx5200 is the replacement for the GeForce4 MX400, which was the replacement for the GeForce2 MX200. It wouldn't surprise me then if the FX5200 were found to be slower than even GeForce3 cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
To be honest, I don't think it's fair to blame the salesman too badly for being misinformed.

I know a hell of a lot about the products I sell, but that's because I'm an enthusiast. Personally, I'd never recommend an FX5200 (get a Ti4x00) or a 5600 or 5900 (get a 9600, faster than both, or a 9800)... but why should I be *expected* to know these things?

Let's face it, McDonald's staff aren't expected to offer health and nutrition advice when you buy a burger, so why should computer salesmen on the same wages be experts on the hardware they sell?

If the salesman lies to you, that's one thing. But if you ask for advice and she gives you misinformed advice, that's another. As with everything else, it's up to the consumer to research things for themselves; if you want to accept what the minimum-wage salesman tells you, you're opening yourself up for disappointment.

cleeve

Illustrious
The 5200 is right on par with a GF3, and beats it quite handily when using FSAA...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (O/C to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 3586

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Probably, but you don't know how happy I am with it! Still playing decently with a 2 generation old GPU! :lol:

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Most gamers I know aren't even using a Geforce 3. The average is maybe a GF2 Pro (or whatever the thing was called back then). 3 is a decent DX8 card, and I'd highly recommend it to my "I-want-a-good-gaming-machine-for-£200" customers, if only we still had any.

I'd go with a GF3 over a "budget" nVidia card any day. To my mind, they haven't made a good budget card since the GF2 MX.