is the aspire one good for playing skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay_35

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello, I have the aspire one netbook is it or will it play skyrim or fallout new vegas, and what will allow me to play games on it, because it doesnt have anything to put the game cd in.

Solution
OK.......
Intel Atom N450 1.66-GHz CPU, 1GB RAM and Intel GMA 3150 graphics.

Intel Atom N450 review

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3150 review

The GMA 3150 review gives you a better idea of what your hardware can do in gaming.

It will run some of the older games.
And of course any of the 2D games you can play in your web browser - you can play most of those.

You'll need to learn to use a USB thumb drive in place of a CD/DVD drive, something that isn't too hard to learn to do.
Or you could use an external CD/DVD drive that connects through the USB port.

clay_35

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

I have the ASPIRE ONE D255 Battery-cell Li-ion battery,Storage 160 GB HDD,1 GB memory, CPU intel(R) ATOM(TM) Prosser N45 (1.66GHz, 512 b cache)

G

If you buy the games of steam you don't need a dvd to install. You might be able to run the games with all settings turned down at 10 fps.

D

Deleted member 217926

I have not seen a netbook yet that will play any game other than the included solitaire or a flash based browser game. And I have an Acer Aspire One. It's great for email and browsing while watching TV and that's about it. It's not even something I would have bought myself but it was a gift.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
You will be pretty much limited to the types of games that would run on a phone/tablet like angry birds and plants vs. zombies etc. and browser based games.

You can get a usb DVD player if you need to install media from a CD/DVD.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you buy the games of steam you don't need a dvd to install. You might be able to run the games with all settings turned down at 10 fps.

The 1024 x 600 resolution screws up most games. I can't even play on Pogo with this thing. The only game I like there is Chess and the screen will not display the whole board.

OK.......
Intel Atom N450 1.66-GHz CPU, 1GB RAM and Intel GMA 3150 graphics.

Intel Atom N450 review

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3150 review

The GMA 3150 review gives you a better idea of what your hardware can do in gaming.

It will run some of the older games.
And of course any of the 2D games you can play in your web browser - you can play most of those.

You'll need to learn to use a USB thumb drive in place of a CD/DVD drive, something that isn't too hard to learn to do.
Or you could use an external CD/DVD drive that connects through the USB port.

Solution

farnsworth_1011

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Well, N450 and a GMA 3150 isn't much horsepower. You'll find a vid on youtube with someone playing Oblivion on an atom (I think) with your specs. I think its prefs.ini was modified for almost no distance, no detail and fog like a london rain day, but it chugged along at a very choppy fps. So it worked.

I have a 1.5 yr old netbook - which i have tested gaming on. Wasn't even an expensive one.. Gateway LT22 w/2gb (AMD K125 & ATI Radeon HD4225 ) and it plays low detail Oblivion at 27-34 fps , fallout3 at about 20-24 fps. New Vegas at 14-18 or so. Each game seems to be more CPU/GPU intensive. Just picked low detail for those. I think I had to modify the ini file to fit the awkward 1024x600 screen tho. I'm installing Skyrim for a laugh, but I would be surprised if it plays it at all on low even.. its a much more resource hungry game than the others.

farnsworth_1011

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
okay. lol. I did it. It runs suprisingly. Im just playing thru the first part... On the normal low setting and choosing 800x600 (chose windowed mode and 800x600, then unselected windowed mode) , FRAPS reports 12-20 fps indoors and 13-18 outdoors (load sections cause it to stutter to single digits at times.. it has terrible load management on 2gig lol). Mouse sensitivity is messed up and menus wont respond to mouse selections often (I have to use keyboard).

Entering Riverwood takes me to 11-13fps. Forcing it into 640x480 in the prefs.ini file would gain me a few fps.. but why bother. :p

Its not playable due to the jarring load management stalls when youre running around, but there you go, Skyrim on a netbook.. no tweaks, just whats in the box. I imagine newer netbooks with stronger AMD/ATI combos or NVidia chips + more memory will do better than this older LT22. ;)

asdasdfg123

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Hello, I may be a bit to late... but I am here to try to help you and feed you my common knowledge. I am currently playing Skyrim on my Acer Aspire One netbook at about 30 fps. Not bad. So here are a few ways to get it on your machine. First, you can use Torrents. If you do not know what these are, ask me or google it or even youtube it. Second method (which is the legal method) download a free Windows, Mac, and even Linux program called Steam. It is a program that lets you buy games with a Credit card or I think may even support Debit. But highly doubtful. Then you can download it via internet and program straight to your PC. Then, to get it to run good, search in google "Skyrim low end pc max FPS config" Then put that config where it needs to go. If you need help with that let me know. And also search "Skyrim very low graphics texture pack" Once again if you need help, let me know.

For Steam go here: https://store.steampowered.com
Hope I helped you in the slightest bit, and I just spent 15 minutes on this post, so if it was a waste of time, I will be quite aggravated...

anonomus

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Mine will play Half Life 2 episode 2, Garry's Mod, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Deus Ex, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Deathmatch, Half Life 2 Lost Coast, Half Life, Half Life Opposing Force, Half Life Blue Shift, The Sims 2, Team Fortress Classic, Portal and much more, all running on an Intel Atom N455 @ 1.66 GHz and 2GB ram which is a lot more than solitaire or a flash game.

Status
Not open for further replies.