Intel, AMD in the graphics buisness. Fried silicon

abitkt7araid

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
hmmm, what if Intel got into the graphics card buisness? Running with the advantage of clock speed? Just out of curiosity. Or AMD, with their technological innovations on top of decent clock speed. That would be something. Opening up a new realm of GPU overclocking and fried silicon.

It's not how fast your computer is, it's how much you get done on it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by abitkt7araid on 10/06/03 00:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
They're trying to, I think... testing the waters with their integrated "extreme graphics"...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (O/C to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 3586

abitkt7araid

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
That's true. And companies are always trying to dominate new markets. I'm anxious to see if Intel or AMD ever makes AGP graphics cards.

It's not how fast your computer is, it's how much you get done on it.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
They won't. Please stop being dumb.

Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
But Intel did make AGP cards.

Remember the i740???

They were top class at that time. Excellent performance, great visual quality. They still gave the Nvidia Riva ZX128 a good run for the money.

I just wished it didn't sop there.

My specs was the following at that stage:
AMD K6-400Mhz clocked to 450
128Mb PC100
Intel i740
etc, etc

I played Quake 2 (with the AMD patch) at 800x600 (full quality OpenGL) at a constant 65+ framerate. (Which sucks now, but still a worthy mention)

eden

Champion
I would not be so sure. AMD doesn't have the fab space, nor have they demonstrated any talent from their OWN design team (Not NEXGEN's) since the K6 or K5 I believe. I am hoping the K9 puts an end and shows if they can make a new core from scratch.

Intel COULD run after that market, but can they really tackle ATi in performance? They already dominate the market with the Extreme chipsets thanks to marketting and OEMs. If they ever did go there, I would only be skeptical what they'd come up with. Perhaps their current technology can be implemented, but I am curious as to whether ATi or nVidia will ever extend pipeline length and demonstrate kick ass clock speeds. One wonders if GPUs do lots of pipeline bubbles and if they make a lot of branch errors. (that is IF they have branches!) I still think they should extend the pipeline. I doubt it would hurt because GPUs are often well fed by the memory bandwidth that it's not always an issue. I know they're not working at 100% efficiency, far from it. But I doubt extending the pipeling would hurt.
So hopefully of the two contenders knows that. A real long pipeline from either would allow 1GHZ+ speeds. Except that currently they are at 0.13m and their GPUs at 500MHZ run hotter than CPUs. Ain't very good.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
They are a data computation company.

~Jeremy
Unofficial Intel PR Spokesman.(nVidia fill in rep for CoolSquirtle)

:evil: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up In My Buddies Face!!!</A> :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They already LEFT that business. The i740 graphics chip was garbage, it's what all of Intel's integrated solutions have been based on since.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, they aren't trying to enter the graphics business, and the i740 graphics chip they DID produce is over 5 years old. And "Extreme Graphics" is based on the i740, so they aren't testing any waters. In fact, they have a strategic partnership with ATI in order to IMPROVE ONBOARD graphics with ATI producing chipsets.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's not true, Intel left the business years ago and their recent partnership with ATI proves they aren't even serious about improving their onboard graphics (leaving it up to ATI instead), let alone come up with their own product line.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think AMD is to busy just trying to give intel a gamble. And intel needs to worry about these starving companies like AMD that would love to be in their big shoes as they rest on their laurels.
Intel has ATI and AMD has NV for decent integrated parts.

I (half-jokingly) think M$ would have a better chance of creating high end gfx chipsets than amd/intel. They do run what is called direct3d. And why not, it would be nice to be able to slap it into a new xbox system also.

-----
eden is my intel/ati superboy