Emuators

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Is the an Emu that will run on WindowsXp at all? I'm a vectrex user but
would love to play the game on the computer to be able to keep my Vec in
perfect condition.
I know that there is one that plays in dos but wont when installed on XP.
And I dont want to have to switch OS to be able to play it.

Striven wrote:
> Is the an Emu that will run on WindowsXp at all? I'm a vectrex user but
> would love to play the game on the computer to be able to keep my Vec in
> perfect condition.
> I know that there is one that plays in dos but wont when installed on XP.
> And I dont want to have to switch OS to be able to play it.

I would think mosts emus run best on grass and don't really care about
operating systems.

Sorry.

There is MESS which emulates all sorts of consoles and computers. It has
pretty good emulation of the vectrex and runs on XP and other OSes. For
most people it has replaced DVE, which is the DOS one you are referring to.

There is also VecX which is, as the name suggests, just for the Vectrex.
The original version (which is at
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~manohv/vectrex.html) doesn't have sound or
support overlays, but the basic emulation is quite sound. There have
been some derivates but I've lost track of them. I tend to use VecX
because it is a really simple small standlone program (you don't need to
"install" it) and to really see what a game looks and sounds like I have
got my real vectrex.

Hope this helps,
Roberto/.