Windows XP - Graphics Card Driver problems...

March 21, 2005 8:44:18 PM

Hello All,

I have an Acer Aspire T120 Desktop PC. Unfortunatly, i had to do a clean
install a couple of weeks back. For this model, there are 3 choices of
Graphics cards on Acers website - An Nvida, ATI and on-board card. My PC has
no AGP card in it so i am assuming the one i have is on-board graphics card.
Tried installing the drivers and i get an error message "Set up was unable
to complete the operation. See log for more details". Look into the log and
it says "No display adapter for specified vendor can be detected, or
hardware detection could not determine display adapter type.". I have gone
into the advanced section of my display settings and Windows is using the
VgaSave adapter that XP uses when a display device cant be found. In the
properties for the adapter, under Resources, there are some conflicts:

Conflicting Device List:
Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller

Is this conflict the reason why i cant install the drivers. The only other
posibility is that there is another card in my PC, but it is strange that it
isn't listed on the manufacters website?

The error code for the VGA Display adapter is Code 28 (which according to
Microsoft indicates that i need to install the driver). Go into resources on
the VGA adapter and it says "This device isnt using any reasorces because
there is a problem".

Any help is appreciated.

Neil.

Note: The NVIDIA and ATI drivers also inform the same message - that they
cannot detect a suitible device.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2005 8:44:19 PM

From:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_t12...

First install the Via Chipset drivers

Then install the S3 onboard VGA driver.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Neil" <neil.haywood@alpertonltd.com> wrote in message
news:D 1n15i$f20$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I have an Acer Aspire T120 Desktop PC. Unfortunatly, i had to do a clean
> install a couple of weeks back. For this model, there are 3 choices of
> Graphics cards on Acers website - An Nvida, ATI and on-board card. My PC
> has
> no AGP card in it so i am assuming the one i have is on-board graphics
> card.
> Tried installing the drivers and i get an error message "Set up was unable
> to complete the operation. See log for more details". Look into the log
> and
> it says "No display adapter for specified vendor can be detected, or
> hardware detection could not determine display adapter type.". I have
> gone
> into the advanced section of my display settings and Windows is using the
> VgaSave adapter that XP uses when a display device cant be found. In the
> properties for the adapter, under Resources, there are some conflicts:
>
> Conflicting Device List:
> Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
> VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
> Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
> VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
> Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
> VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
>
> Is this conflict the reason why i cant install the drivers. The only other
> posibility is that there is another card in my PC, but it is strange that
> it
> isn't listed on the manufacters website?
>
> The error code for the VGA Display adapter is Code 28 (which according to
> Microsoft indicates that i need to install the driver). Go into resources
> on
> the VGA adapter and it says "This device isnt using any reasorces because
> there is a problem".
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Neil.
>
> Note: The NVIDIA and ATI drivers also inform the same message - that they
> cannot detect a suitible device.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2005 2:38:28 AM

"Neil" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>I have an Acer Aspire T120 Desktop PC. Unfortunatly, i had to do a clean
>install a couple of weeks back. For this model, there are 3 choices of
>Graphics cards on Acers website - An Nvida, ATI and on-board card. My PC has
>no AGP card in it so i am assuming the one i have is on-board graphics card.

If you can't find it in Device Manager, try the free program
Everest Home, available at
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Related resources
March 22, 2005 1:27:30 PM

Right,

I had already installed the VIA drivers from Acers website and tried
installing the S3 drivers which is where i get the problem (thanks for the
link Cari). I have downloaded and installed Everest which is a very handy
program (thanks Stan). Everest confirms that the video adapter is indeed the
S3 UniChrome so i am on the right track. It just wont install and i swear it
has something to do with that conflict...

VgaSave is shared with PCI Bus and VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller has
the same memory location but is Undetermined. (this is according to Everest
and it matches with the conflict i was getting in the resources).

I am begining to see why they called that program Everest now, should be
prefixed Mt. ...:-)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Neil.
March 22, 2005 8:25:36 PM

At last!!!

Cant believe i did that - answered my own question. The drivers off Acers
website are for the S3 Pro SavageDDR Integrated Graphics. I needed the S3
UniChrome drivers which i have downloaded and installed no problem. No more
VgaSave!

Well, now that those drivers are backed up and backed up again i am going to
go for a well earned beer :-)

Link for reference is:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Thanks again for everyones help.