upgrade from windows 98

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello,
I have upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP professional.

I still see references to windows 98 on my PC. Is this alright, or do I need
to remove them?

For example, in "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS" I can see "windows 98 service pack
1". Should I uninstall it?

What about these files and there folders? They all bear the File Version:
4.10.0.1998.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\dcom98\oldole.
C:\WINDOWS\MSDUN\RNAAPP.98.
C:\WINDOWS\HELP\tshoot98.chm.
C:\WINDOWS\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\msdun98.cat.
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\EBD.CAB.
C:\WINDOWS\CDPLAYER.EXE.
C:\WINDOWS\SPBANNER.WMF.
C:\WINDOWS\start.exe.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MAPISRVR.EXE.

Thank you.
Derek.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I am not possitive but I would think you should be just fine uninstalling
    that Windows 98 SP1.

    "Rogers_News" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP professional.
    >
    > I still see references to windows 98 on my PC. Is this alright, or do I need
    > to remove them?
    >
    > For example, in "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS" I can see "windows 98 service pack
    > 1". Should I uninstall it?
    >
    > What about these files and there folders? They all bear the File Version:
    > 4.10.0.1998.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\dcom98\oldole.
    > C:\WINDOWS\MSDUN\RNAAPP.98.
    > C:\WINDOWS\HELP\tshoot98.chm.
    > C:\WINDOWS\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\msdun98.cat.
    > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\EBD.CAB.
    > C:\WINDOWS\CDPLAYER.EXE.
    > C:\WINDOWS\SPBANNER.WMF.
    > C:\WINDOWS\start.exe.
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MAPISRVR.EXE.
    >

    > Thank you.
    > Derek.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    If you chose the option to backup the Win98 installation, then Xp will have
    saved your previous 'state' such that you could revert to 98 and remove Xp.

    Given that you are totally happy that everything works properly and that you
    no longer need any 98 information, then use Diskcleanup and there will be an
    option to remove the saved 98 installation.

    "hustedj" wrote:

    > I am not possitive but I would think you should be just fine uninstalling
    > that Windows 98 SP1.
    >
    > "Rogers_News" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I have upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP professional.
    > >
    > > I still see references to windows 98 on my PC. Is this alright, or do I need
    > > to remove them?
    > >
    > > For example, in "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS" I can see "windows 98 service pack
    > > 1". Should I uninstall it?
    > >
    > > What about these files and there folders? They all bear the File Version:
    > > 4.10.0.1998.
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\dcom98\oldole.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\MSDUN\RNAAPP.98.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\HELP\tshoot98.chm.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\msdun98.cat.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\EBD.CAB.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\CDPLAYER.EXE.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SPBANNER.WMF.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\start.exe.
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MAPISRVR.EXE.
    > >

    > > Thank you.
    > > Derek.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I did chose to backup my Win98 installation before upgrading.

    I would prefer to use the Diskcleanup method, but since I installed windows
    XP, I couldn't get it to clean my C/ drive. It worked well on my other
    drives. I had it running all day with no results.

    Any particular reason for Diskcleanup's behaviour?

    Thank you.
    Derek.

    > If you chose the option to backup the Win98 installation, then Xp will
    have
    > saved your previous 'state' such that you could revert to 98 and remove
    Xp.

    > Given that you are totally happy that everything works properly and that
    you
    > no longer need any 98 information, then use Diskcleanup and there will be
    an
    > option to remove the saved 98 installation.
    >
    > "hustedj" wrote:
    >
    > > I am not possitive but I would think you should be just fine
    uninstalling
    > > that Windows 98 SP1.
    > >
    > > "Rogers_News" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > > I have upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP professional.
    > > >
    > > > I still see references to windows 98 on my PC. Is this alright, or do
    I need
    > > > to remove them?
    > > >
    > > > For example, in "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS" I can see "windows 98 service
    pack
    > > > 1". Should I uninstall it?
    > > >
    > > > What about these files and there folders? They all bear the File
    Version:
    > > > 4.10.0.1998.
    > > >
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\dcom98\oldole.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\MSDUN\RNAAPP.98.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\HELP\tshoot98.chm.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\msdun98.cat.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\EBD.CAB.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\CDPLAYER.EXE.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\SPBANNER.WMF.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\start.exe.
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MAPISRVR.EXE.
    > > >

    > > > Thank you.
    > > > Derek.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Rogers_News" <der_rog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    > I did chose to backup my Win98 installation before upgrading.
    >
    > I would prefer to use the Diskcleanup method, but since I installed
    > windows
    > XP, I couldn't get it to clean my C/ drive. It worked well on my other
    > drives. I had it running all day with no results.
    >
    > Any particular reason for Diskcleanup's behaviour?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Derek.
    >
    > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> If you chose the option to backup the Win98 installation, then Xp will
    > have
    >> saved your previous 'state' such that you could revert to 98 and remove
    > Xp.
    >>
    >> Given that you are totally happy that everything works properly and that
    > you
    >> no longer need any 98 information, then use Diskcleanup and there will be
    > an
    >> option to remove the saved 98 installation.
    >>
    >> "hustedj" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am not possitive but I would think you should be just fine
    > uninstalling
    >> > that Windows 98 SP1.

    > I need

    > pack

    > Version:

    don't recall exactly where to find it but, I upgraded also(from ME) there is
    an option to remove previous operating system it works and I might add it
    works well

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP