Search Menu Drop downs

I just got a new computer with windows XP pro and all of my search menus are
saving a history and when I go to type in a new search it is always trying to
fill in the word for me. How do I disable the search history? I did it on my
last computer but I can't remember how!!!

Click on Tools / Internet Options / Content click on the button AutoComplete.
In here you can cler all passwords, uncheck Web Address and click ok and you
should be all set.

Good Luck

"Cklineline" wrote:

> I just got a new computer with windows XP pro and all of my search menus are
> saving a history and when I go to type in a new search it is always trying to
> fill in the word for me. How do I disable the search history? I did it on my
> last computer but I can't remember how!!!

What I am having a problem with isn't the address line, it is actually the
search box in the search engines such as yahoo or google. When I type
something in the search window all of the searches are being saved to a
history file somewhere other than in the internet options. I suspect it is a
windows setting and not an internet explorer setting.

"hustedj" wrote:

> Click on Tools / Internet Options / Content click on the button AutoComplete.
> In here you can cler all passwords, uncheck Web Address and click ok and you
> should be all set.
>
> Good Luck
>
> "Cklineline" wrote:
>
> > I just got a new computer with windows XP pro and all of my search menus are
> > saving a history and when I go to type in a new search it is always trying to
> > fill in the word for me. How do I disable the search history? I did it on my
> > last computer but I can't remember how!!!

To modify your settings for the AutoComplete feature or clear all items from
the list of form or password suggestions, follow these steps in Internet
Explorer:

1.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2.Click the Content tab.
3.Click AutoComplete.
4.Click the appropriate AutoComplete check boxes, or click Clear Forms or
Clear Passwords to clear all saved items from the appropriate AutoComplete
history.
5.Click OK, and then click OK.

To clear individual items from the list of form or password suggestions,
click the item in the list of suggestions for that field and then press
DELETE. The AutoComplete list automatically appears when you perform any of
the following actions on a previously populated form:

* Type the first character in the field
* Press the UP or DOWN keys in the field
* Double-click a blank area in the field

Source:
How to use the AutoComplete feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217148

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User