1600x1200 (UXGA) DVI support

beagle

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
I recently learnt that GPU embedded DVI coder poorly supports the max single DVI link resolution of 1600x1200. The only viable solution seems to be a specific DVI coder chip on the card (like Silicon Image).

Major problem is, that in practice none card manufacturer tells on their web page about their real DVI support. Also the reviews in places like THG do not report on this. How on earth do I find information on this (other than buying the card and reading the user manual).

I am planning to buy an LCD supporting 1600x1200 and it would seem like a waste to use analog connection when at least the display supports real digital connection.

DVI is severly bandwidth limited. You may get 16x12, but it will be at lower refresh than the VGA connector (although usually within the 60hz range). Most of the mfr. will list the info in their specs but you do have to look hard o find them and even if you buy a card the tiny manuals that come with them now may not contain that info. I suggest you contact the maker of the GPU/connector in question. That's going to be your quickest and most certain way of getting the right info.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Are you the same Beagle that's a Forum Moderator at Planet Half-Life?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!